spam: Last gig tomorrow, selling gear

• Members

[bIG FAT EDIT]

Okay, I've decided it would be asinine to sell my PA gear, especially knowning that I'd eventually want to procure something similar again. So maybe I could get some tips on how I could get some gigs or something super fast. My biggest problem is that I'm surrounded by small towns on all sides that just don't have a market for this sort of thing.

• Members

As for getting gigs, if any of us knew the secret, we'd be either rich or very busy!

I've made a little extra on the side renting my P.A. out to friends and other bands. My rig is really simple though (P.A. on a stick w/ a powered sub) so it's no great shakes, but brings in about $200 or so a month and that's not bad....

It's risky, but something to consider until you get back to gigging.

• Members

I'd be up for it if there were a market for renting out PAs. On top of my current feduciary struggles, my computer monitor broke today. I do the DJing with computer/mp3 set up, and one of the pins on my monitor cable got bent, and in trying to fix it, I broke it off.

• Members

That is a bummer to hear.

I used to run live sound for local shows and small bands. I would charge little, but I tell ya, even in small cities there are bands and they want to do shows.

Some have places that are rentable and you might have to step into the promotion business some, but you can make some money.

If nothing else, if you own the equipment, it is worth keeping.... it may be slow now, but eventually it always picks up.

• Members

I'm sure even in small cities, there is a market for it, but the nearest small city is at least 40 miles from me. My nearest neighbor is half a mile away and the nearest town (classified as a village) is five miles away.

I do want to keep it, but my money woes are really weighing me down at the moment. Arg!

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

I'd be up for it if there were a market for renting out PAs. On top of my current feduciary struggles, my computer monitor broke today. I do the DJing with computer/mp3 set up, and one of the pins on my monitor cable got bent, and in trying to fix it, I broke it off.

Which pin is it? some of them carry no signal or are used for more minor functions like PNP. You may plug it in and find it works fine for your uses.

At any rate, a new male HD15 connector complete with pins should be well under $10.00. Depending on your connector design, you may also simply be able to simply open it, crimp a new pin ($pennies) on, and close it back up.

Can you take a photo?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by u6crash

That's the best news I've heard all day. I had a theory that I might be able to run it without that pin, but that didn't pan out. The computer is an Apple, but the monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster.

I have an old one of those Syncmasters. Bastards cheaped out and make the cable integral to the box, so you'll have to change out the molded-on connector. Considering prices, you can get another monitor for less than the labor cost of fixing this.

• Members

So maybe I could get some tips on how I could get some gigs or something super fast. My biggest problem is that I'm surrounded by small towns on all sides that just don't have a market for this sort of thing.

The biggest tip is get off the computer and get out there!

Sounds kind of rude, but is there any other way?? I wanted to make my living playing music, and I too had a house that was pretty far from our little "scene" here in south Florida. I got sick of driving so I sold my house and live closer. Some would think thats excessive, but this business isn't for everyone.

Archived