Microphone Technique

• Members

Our singer is just starting out and she sings well, just admittedly is still getting used to singing with a mic.

We had talked about microphone technique, but since I'm not a singer I really wasn't sure what would be good advice. Therefore, I ask you all if you wouldn't mind to please give some general advice on singing with a mic live. Feel free to start at very basic things - at this point, she's just doing what feels natural, and she doesn't know if she's developing bad habits.

Thanks to all in advance.

• Members

Get really close to the mic. Don't turn your head in relation to the mic (see the vocal drop in and out).

Don't put your hand down so that the mic faces the monitors between each phrase. If you do (and I've seen a lot) don't blame the soundguy every time your wedge feeds back.

• Members

I always told people to pretend that they are eating a hot dog. You want the mic very close to your lips, at that angle.

Also, as she sings louder and softer, she should adjust the distance of the mic from her mouth, to compress her vocals. A great singer doesn't need compression, as they have great micing technique. You are looking more for a change in timbre then volume most of the time when there is extreme vocal level changes. So, you should account for it with the mic position.

• Members

Just to add to what's already been said.

Don't put your hand up past the windscreen, hold it where it's supposed to be held. And don't cup the mic either.

Sing loud, and enounciate. Just because you're using a mic doesn't mean it'll make your singing intelligible.

• Members

Originally posted by Redsand187

... as she sings louder and softer, she should adjust the distance of the mic from her mouth, to compress her vocals.

I'd rather see a beginner touch the windscreen to her mouth and leave it there. Let the electronics compress the voice until she gets more comfortable with technique.

One or two inches can mean the difference between being heard over the band and not being heard at all.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

Just to add to what's already been said.

Don't put your hand up past the windscreen, hold it where it's supposed to be held. And don't cup the mic either.

Sing loud, and enounciate. Just because you're using a mic doesn't mean it'll make your singing intelligible.

I've got a saying with talking head gigs, 'These mics aren't mind readers, you want people to hear you, speak to the back of the room, regardless if a mic is present or not. And by speak I don't mean YELL!!!!!!!!!!!'

Its always funny when we do an annual opera show, and every presenter requests a lav (we only have 1), and whenever someone comes out from the opera company on stage (not during the show), they make a point to not use the mics and still be louder than the people with mics.

One group of people who I work with almost on a weekly basis, they never quite understand that, and every week, they talk quiter and quiter for thier 'sound check' (You could have Long Hair Jonny screamin in the mic 10 seconds before and they still don't think that its not going to work for them), and of course, they always tell me to turn it up, and I do, and it squeels, and they go it was louder last week, and I go, well no-one is a mind reader, why do you think electricity is an exception to that, they get confused and the whole process repeats.

It also doesn't help that everyone in that organization changes hands/positions every other week.

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

I'd rather see a beginner touch the windscreen to her mouth and leave it there. Let the electronics compress the voice until she gets more comfortable with technique.

One or two inches can mean the difference between being heard over the band and not being heard at all.

Totally agree. Having seen two years worth of college music students - who have been 'taught' proper mic technique.

• Members

A lot depends on the mic being used. As a rule of thumb, keep about 2" from the mic on something like an AKG 880 or Shure SM58 that has a pronounced proximity effect. Get closer if you want for bass and louder passages. I like the sennheiser e835 because you don't have the proximity effect and can get a good consistant sound whether you are swallowing the mic or a few inches away.

• Members

I like to use those wind screen things, and I like to keep my lips very close to them.

A lot of times people are glad to see you actually put a "fresh" windscreen on a mic, and they are perhaps more likely to work the mic close, whe they feel like it has been prepared especially for them with their sanitation in mind? (I wash the wind screens, and put them in zip locks wehen they are dry)

There are two cardinal rules... the first that someone already mentioned... not to drop your arm and point the mic into the monitor wedge when you are not using it, and the second is to pull your lips back away from the mic a few inches (or more) when you are really having to "push" for a high note.

these of course are just My 2 cents worth.

• Members

The hot dog analogy is a good one. A lot of people hold the mic close to their mouth but in an upright position (probably from watching Jerry Seinfeld's act) so that most of the vibrations go over instead of into the mic. I always advise non-professionals to "eat" the mic.

• Members

Originally posted by RainsongDR1000

As a rule of thumb, keep about 2" from the mic on something like an AKG 880 or Shure SM58 that has a pronounced proximity effect.

2 inches versus 1/4" can translate into a loss of up to 18dB of gain before feedback. Counter the proximity effect with a HPF and a bit of rolloff of the low shelf. Remember, we're talking about newbies here, not seasoned pros.

• Members

Originally posted by Brad Harris

I've got a saying with talking head gigs, 'These mics aren't mind readers, you want people to hear you, speak to the back of the room, regardless if a mic is present or not.

Speak and/or sing to the last row is exactly what I tell them too! It makes for a better performance as it's more natural and believable sounding when the PA is working with the voice rather than trying to make up for a hopelessly poor situation.

Also amplifying mumbling only makes for louder mumbling. Enunciate clearly, especially in a live room.

Archived