New Perspective...

• Members

Here's a good look at some questions asked here if you change some of the words around....It gives a new perspective for New and Old members..

No offense meant to anyone...:cool:

Can anyone tell me where I can get a good, cheap, PARACHUTE?

Which is better a Hyundai, or a Toyota?

I just bought a Hyper-doolangle-Maximizer, does anyone know

what it does or how to use it?

I just bought a one eyed cat, do you think it will catch mice?

Which is better a unicycle, bicycle, or tricycle?

An auto "professional" told me I should use only VIRGIN olive oil

in my Hyundai(or Toyota)!

If I get some $1000 tires will it make my Yugo perform like a Ferrari?

What's the best candybar?

Will my hairdryer be enough to heat the entire room?

Sylvester Stalone Vs. Chuck Norris?

I had to choose between the one eyed cat and the three legged dog!

Can I make my Yugo perform like a Ferrari for $250?

What's the big deal if I mismatch tires?

Any DJ question!!

What's the best color paint for my livng room?

Which is better the 64oz. Bladder Buster or two 36oz Whizz Kings?

Which is better, dual blondes or dual brunettes?(Non-sexist question)

Which do you prefer? A swift kick in the ass or a slap upside the head?

Is a diesel car better than gas?

Quick, I want to throw $500 dollars away on Eday!

You didn't stop me from throwing $500 on Eday!

And to end it off...

I have no car, no money and no job, "What's the best PA for a 5 piece rock band in a 300 seat club that will fit in my back pocket(for free)?"

• Members

Don't forget some of the advice dispensed here too.

Q. I need an economical little car that I can drive to the grocery store once a week to get my butter and eggs.

A. Don't be silly. You can't possibly pick up your butter and eggs in anything less than a 600hp 18 wheeler. Expect to pay at least $250,000 to haul your butter and eggs.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by GCDEF

Q. I need an economical little car that I can drive to the grocery store once a week to get my butter and eggs.

A. Don't be silly. You can't possibly pick up your butter and eggs in anything less than a 600hp 18 wheeler. Expect to pay at least $250,000 to haul your butter and eggs.

Liar. 18-wheel rigs don't have that much horsepower.:p;):D

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I think those responses are helpful. Doing things right in this business requires money, sometimes a lot more than any of us bargained for:eek: :(:)

• Members

Originally posted by lucho_84

I think those responses are helpful. Doing things right in this business requires money, sometimes a lot more than any of us bargained for:eek:
:(:)

I agree and this board has calmed down a lot in the time I've been coming here. Still, there are a few that lose perspective on what's realistic for a working band.

• Members

From my elementary school gym teacher. But it won't have any lines attached, so you'll just have to hold on to it.

I can tell you, without a doubt in my mind, that Hyundai is better if you're looking for the one with the most letters in the name.

I just bought a Hyper-doolangle-Maximizer, does anyone know what it does or how to use it?

You don't need that.

Catch them doing what?

A unicycle is better for people who are afraid of wheels.

An auto "professional" told me I should use only VIRGIN olive oil in my Hyundai(or Toyota)!

You should always try to use virgin anything. It tastes better.

How well does the Ferrari perform? And what is it perfroming?

3 Musketeers. If for no other reason than because the movie is on TV right now.

How big is the room?

In what? Poker? Stallone.

And what did you find while you were between them?

I can make a Ferrari perform like your Yugo for much less than that.

Then you have no chance of winning.

Any DJ question!!

I agree.

The one your wife wants.

Who do you have to share with?

I find that a kick hurts my hand less.

If you're driving a diesel car while eating a burrito, is the answer still yes?

Don't do it, it's a trap!

I tried, but the internet travels faster than the speed of sound.

What's the best PA for a 5 piece rock band in a 300 seat club that will fit in my back pocket(for free)

My PA would do that club pretty well. But I won't put anything in your back pocket for free, unless you happen to be a woman. Then I'll pay you to let me.

I think the real question is, am I bored or what? :)

• Members

What's the best PA for a 5 piece rock band in a 300 seat club that will fit in my back pocket(for free)

My PA would do that club pretty well. But I won't put anything in your back pocket for free, unless you happen to be a woman. Then I'll pay you to let me.

If she's eating a burrito, is the answer still yes? ;):D

• Members

Are you afraid it won't open? Relax, just make sure it is approved.

Toyota is maybe the private car with least faults according to statistics. Hyundai is lots of car for the money. At least here in Norway, where few people can afford a Mercedez (cause of taxes).

I just bought a Hyper-doolangle-Maximizer, does anyone know

what it does or how to use it?

RTFM

Oh yes it will, ours do. Mice are very easy to catch, I even managed to catch one as a kid.

Unicicle for tricks, bicicle for speed and tricycle for balance.

An auto "professional" told me I should use only VIRGIN olive oil in my Hyundai(or Toyota)!

4 stroke motor oil will do. Expensive ones are cheap ones with fancy labels.

No

Japp

Yes, for small rooms.

Chuck knows karate. Sylvester is an actor.

What did you choose?

No, but why would you?

As long as front and rear are matched and similar type, it's OK.

Any DJ question!!

Come on!

Any environment friendly water based cheap paint will do.

For what?

Which is better, dual blondes or dual brunettes?(Non-sexist question)

For what?

ass kicked.

Most often.

Do a little (re)search and you'll spend'em wise.

Why should I?

And to end it off...

I have no car, no money and no job, "What's the best PA for a 5 piece rock band in a 300 seat club that will fit in my back pocket(for free)?" Start with 1 of these and this one. Start playing with only vocals and (slightly kick) tru PA. Place speaker high up in a corner, so you can use it as monitor and FOH (I still do this all the time after years on the road) When you have had a gig or two, you can afford another B300. Then you can add a bit Bass and guitar into PA. After some gigs comes a sub, then a bigger mixer, monitors etc... When you are shure this is working for all and your gig calender is full, you take up a loan, buy a medium quality, medium large PA, and put the old one up on Ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by ValleySound

And to end it off...

I have no car, no money and no job, "What's the best PA for a 5 piece rock band in a 300 seat club that will fit in my back pocket(for free)?"

A large sheet of paper rolled into a megaphone.:)

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Craigv

Liar. 18-wheel rigs don't have that much horsepower.
:p;):D

Uh... well... a CAT 3408 is a somewhat common semi-truck (18 wheeler) power plant. Typically they come set at about 450HP from the factory for truck applications but are commonly turned up to about 600HP by the big strappers.

FWIW: When I was working in AK as a heavy equipment mechanic, the local pilot captain's association had a "all weather" craft outfitted with twin 3408's pumped up to a little more than 1000HP ea.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Uh... well... a CAT 3408 is a somewhat common semi-truck (18 wheeler) power plant. Typically they come set at about 450HP from the factory for truck applications but are commonly turned up to about 600HP by the big strappers.

FWIW: When I was working in AK as a heavy equipment mechanic, the local pilot captain's association had a "all weather" craft outfitted with twin 3408's pumped up to a little more than 1000HP ea.

You are all forgetting about torque. All motors produce more torque than horsepower below 5252 RPM (it has to do with the mathematical formula you figure HP and torque with), and most diesel motors turn less than that. I am not familiar with truck engines but with a quick search of caterpillar's site I found their C15 engine. It makes 435-625 HP @2100 rpm and 1550-2050 ft/lbs of torque @ 1200 rpm. Same thing with Harley's, and other lower revving motors. With a redline a little above 6000 rpm, you riding the torque curve more than the HP curve. So really in these situations IMO the torque is more important than HP. Even though HP is the number most people talk about.

• Members

I drove a Peterbilt semi converted to grain hauling dump truck with a hopper bottom puptrailer. The truck had the most grunt at about 1400ish RPM if I remember right, and I think it maxed out at 2300 RPM. When coming in off the grain fields you were allowed 10% overage in weight if there was not a scale in the field. So that would make the legal max about 88,000 lbs. My first load, the truck felt a bit sluggish and was not the most fun to stop(1/2 mile or so to stop). At the scale house all the mexican were grinning like mad and looking at me. The scale went to 100,000 lbs and I was at something like 99,980 lbs (literally):eek: . Funny thing was the Combine operators got their asses chewed out for loading so much. Also, there was no Jake Brake on the rig, just the typical airbrakes. And you knew you were in trouble when the airbrake gauge was reading like 70 lbs and all you could smell was burning. :eek: Hey at least that job got me a Class A CDL free!

• Members

Ultralight airplanes use 2 cycle engines frequently. To get the needed torque, you must get lots of RPM.

A Challenger II with a Rotax 447 should get 6300 RPM for take off.

These little things will jump off the ground! But they do not cruise as fast as the big boys no matter how much HP you put on.

(Drag is a factor too)

A Bonanza only gets 2300 RPM max and cruises at 2050 RPM, but it goes 170MPH. It also takes 1000 feet plus to get off the ground.

Kinda like cars vs. diesel trucks.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Craigv

Not me. Pulling a load is all about torque. Speed is all about horsepower, but you can't get up to speed without enough torque to get the load moving. Ask any locomotive engineer:D

Of-course. Maximum torque in a steam engine is produced at a dead stall (0 rpm and 0 horsepower).

BTW FWIW: 1HP=550ft. lbs. per second.

• Members

Originally posted by flip333

Ultralight airplanes use 2 cycle engines frequently. To get the needed torque, you must get lots of RPM.

A Challenger II with a Rotax 447 should get 6300 RPM for take off.

These little things will jump off the ground! But they do not cruise as fast as the big boys no matter how much HP you put on.

(Drag is a factor too)

A Bonanza only gets 2300 RPM max and cruises at 2050 RPM, but it goes 170MPH. It also takes 1000 feet plus to get off the ground.

Kinda like cars vs. diesel trucks.

Though I don't care much for Bonanza, I thought Hoss's interactions with Hop Singh were classic!

Archived