False advertising? Is this repairable without a recone?

• Members

Just looking at an ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23794&item=7319097561&rd=1

I actually could use one of these particular speakers (to match the three I have already).

To me it looks like it would take a lot of effort to repair and I don't know exactly what I would need to do. Could it possibly be worthwhile? I'm thinking no at this point.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

You'd need to get it reconed, which usually goes for $75 here in the States.

Thanks. I already have one that needs reconing to make up the 4 - no use buying extra trouble.

Why the hell do they say they are selling it as working??

• CMS Author

Originally posted by moody

Why the hell do they say they are selling it as working??

If power is applied to the terminals, some sort of sound energy will emanate from what's left of the cone. I guess they're trying to emphasize that the cone rip is all that's wrong, in case it's somehow important to someone.:)

Average value, less cost to recone = maximum bid:D

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

If power is applied to the terminals, some sort of sound energy will emanate from what's left of the cone. I guess they're trying to emphasize that the cone rip is all that's wrong, in case it's somehow important to someone.
:)

Average value, less cost to recone = maximum bid:D

Live sound made simple :D

I'll be reconing the one I have when I can afford it.

Guest Anonymous

Just looking at an ebay auction.

I actually could use one of these particular speakers (to match the three I have already).

To me it looks like it would take a lot of effort to repair and I don't know exactly what I would need to do. Could it possibly be worthwhile? I'm thinking no at this point.

Well... one man's idea of "repaired" isn't necessarly universally approbated. Chances are that seperated surround could be salvaged. Can it be salvaged with confidence in the performance and reliability? Doubtful.

FWIW: About 15 years ago I carved the cone and spider out of an EV-12L to discover the wireing had opened at the voicecoil / tinsile wire junction. Just for giggles (and boredom), I fixed the open wiring and glued the cone and spider back into the basket, without even centering the voicecoil with shims. That speaker is still functioning and doing duty in one of my wedges. It's a little duller than the others but it's been pounding merrilly along for all these years.

• Members

I vote repairable! Glue that sucker back to gether!!! :D

I remember having this ancient 15" driver that tore halfway around it's circumference. I used what was available to fix it, in this case some PVC cement, and slopped it back together. I used it for bass and it held together for a couple months just fine. I later swapped it with the 15" driver in a Sonic monitor wedge we were using. Needless to say the next person who opened up that monitor (It happened to be my old guitar teacher - the horn diaphram and crossover were shot) got a heck of a surprise when they saw that square magnet monstrosity.

• Moderators

From the photo, as long as the voice coil isn't damaged, it doesn't need to be reconed.

It needs a new surround which costs about 1/3 the cost of a full recone. You can even do it yourself pretty easily.

Having said that, it seems overpriced for what it is.

Terry D.

• Members

Ok, emailed etone today about what the price of reconing would be and what the price of the surround alone would be.

Recone $208, surround only $109. At the current cost that would save me $50.

However, they said that I would need to make absolutely sure that the voice coil was fine.

Aside from being able to move in and out without scraping and getting a pop and crackle when connected to a battery - is there anything else to look for?

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Having said that, it seems overpriced for what it is.

Aus music prices. It would probably be cheaper for me to get the speakers shipped to the US, reconed there then shipped back. :D

• CMS Author

Ok, emailed etone today about what the price of reconing would be and what the price of the surround alone would be.

Recone $208, surround only $109. At the current cost that would save me $50.

However, they said that I would need to make absolutely sure that the voice coil was fine.

Aside from being able to move in and out without scraping and getting a pop and crackle when connected to a battery - is there anything else to look for?

Seems too iffy. Count on it needing a recone; if you can get a deal that works monetarily with a recone, then get it. If it turns out to only need a surround, you're in good shape. Otherwise it seems not worth the trouble.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

I vote repairable! Glue that sucker back to gether!!!
:D

I remember having this ancient 15" driver that tore halfway around it's circumference. I used what was available to fix it, in this case some PVC cement, and slopped it back together...

I used to use fingernail polish for this. It worked quite well, and left a purty colored streak on the cone.:D

• Members

I never replace just the surround. Upon removing the parts of such a speaker for recone, I often find voice coil damage. Better doing the job right rather than having to do it over again.

Since I warranty my work, I can't afford to eat the cost of a recone.

• Moderators

Originally posted by agedhorse

I never replace just the surround. Upon removing the parts of such a speaker for recone, I often find voice coil damage. Better doing the job right rather than having to do it over again.

Yeah, the problem in this case is he's buying from a stranger.

If it was your own speaker, you'd know how the surround got damaged. Usually the surrounds dry rot, but at our shows we have the occasional gunshot or lucky knife throw. :eek:

So you'd need to be sure the voice coil was good before wasting a surround replacement, as Andy says.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you ever had someone get their speaker reconed by you only to blow it the next night (due to their own negligence/misuse) and come back expecting you to fix it under warranty?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by J.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you ever had someone get their speaker reconed by you only to blow it the next night (due to their own negligence/misuse) and come back expecting you to fix it under warranty?

I don't know how Andy handles this sort of situation, but I'm hesitant to recone speakers in the first place that were obviously blown or shredded due to negligence/misuse. My standard starting point when faced with this sort of work coming into the shop is: "Well... it looks to me like this was blown up... and it's beyond my ability to fix it in such a way that I can warranty that it won't fail again if subjected to the same or similar circumstances". If the customer and I have a clear understanding of what my capabilities are up-front, there's far less possibilities for misunderstanding in the future. I have fixed speakers for customers that were blown up time after time, but those customers view it as a "wear point" that needs periodic maintenance to get the "performance they need".

• Members

Originally posted by J.

It does happen, and my warranty poilcy is pretty clear. I also try to get some information before reconing, to be sure I'm not stepping into a snake-pit. I do turn down some customers and send then elsewhere if I feel they are too hard-headed to take a professional recommendation. My competitor has a lot of problems with customer relations due to this very issue.

Archived