Specs for obsolete/disc. cont'd speakers?

• Members

Originally posted by Bassinflux

ahhh i would love a database for speakers...

i need to find out some specs on some ev's

EV's are a different story. I have an almost complete spec book for commercial EV products. There's some junk that's not included, but anything semi-pro or pro is there.

What model?

• Members

If your speakers are old enough, then "true" useful specs may have never existed. In the 1960's and 1970's (maybe later) companies, even reputable ones, published useless specs with respect to frequency reponse (publishing the ranges without telling you that they were +/- 20 dB or more whereas, today, the standard is +/- only 3 dB), power handling where, today, there are RMS and program specs but, earlier, there were other numbers published taht were a specific frequencies for short bursts, not standardized.

• Members
Originally posted by DannyCostello

I have some old Realistic and Fisher speakers, but they don't say what wattage they handle. They are obviously home stereo speakers, but I'd still like to know.

Anyone know where I can find specs for these companies?

I've searched high and low.

Frequency response,really,it doesn't matter what the numbers are,just what the ears hear. As for power handling,you can maybe get a rough idea just by looking at the actual drivers.

• Members

Ok...

Does anyone know how to determine roughly how much wattage a speaker can take?

I've found a few articles that say it's related to the speaker's voltage sensitivity, but no formulas as to how to find that sensitivity and then determine the wattage...

• Members

I do not believe this can be "calculated" by taking physical or electrical measurements of the speakers. IT's not a matter of just sensitivity, impedence, etc. It's also the amount of excursion of the cone, the breadth of frequency range of the input signal, how strong a signal is being fed, the amount of distortion you're willing to tolerate, and more.

• CMS Author

I know this is painfully too easy and obvious, but don't the Realistic's still have the paper sticker on the back? I had two of the giant 15" 3-ways until a few months ago, and all the specs were right on the back. For purpose of comparison, these were rated 120w @8 ohms. I would never put more than 60w rms into them, in fact I used an old Pioneer SX-650 receiver with them and it was an honest 35w rms and it made me nervous that I'd destroy a driver.

Unless you happen to have one of the "high end" Realistic that actualy had decent drivers, I'd judge power input to be under 100w and lower depending on size. These were incredibly average speakers in their day, and haven't improved. Sorry.

• Members

if your still watching this agedhorse, the ev's I was wondering about are

EV SP12B

they are pretty old-- Thanks!

I would like to stick them in a cab, but dont know what dimensions to build it, or how much power to give them :)

Archived