What size capacitor?

• Members
Originally posted by alby

What size capacitor would act as a in-line high pass to remove muddiness / room resonance for a voice over dynamic mic? Looking for hopefully 12db / oct. Thanks!

You want to put a cap on the speakers to act as a low cut,is that it? For 12db you need a cap and an inductor/coil. Now if you are talking about putting a cap inline between the mic and the mixer,I have no idea if you can do that. BTW,why not just use either an EQ or the sweepable mids control on the board if it has that feature.

• Members

No not on the speaker @ line level but on the mic at signal level as a passive attenuator. My friend does want not to spring for active EQ and wants something passive and very simple and basic. I am sure you can do so @ line level.

• Members

Even if you can do this,here are some thoughts. First you have to know the frequency of the mud that you are trying to eliminate in order to design something with the proper values. Also,what if your mud is in the 300-500hz range. Do you really want to roll off everything below that frequency?

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

12dB/octave passive would require a balanced LC filter... not a simple task. You still need to know the source impedance (actual, not the marketing spec) and the load impedance.

+1 on that. Nominal and actual impedance of a mic can easily be off by a factor of two. Same for the input impedance of the preamp. These things are not easy to measure. Don't even think about putting an Ohm meter to the inputs of a mic preamp :eek:

• Members

Ok, so he doesn't want to buy an EQ. However, as someone else already suggested, try using the tone controls on the channel of the mixer that I'm assuming your plugging this mic into to filter out the unwanted frequencies.

• Members
Originally posted by kayak
Ok, so he doesn't want to buy an EQ. However, as someone else already suggested, try using the tone controls on the channel of the mixer that I'm assuming your plugging this mic into to filter out the unwanted frequencies.

No tone controls on the channel of the mixer :(

Archived