• Members

Here's one of my Halloween favorites from back at the MP Forums. It's a picture I took of my daughter several Halloweens ago.

I liked it larger, but with as many members as we have here, large avatars might crash the whole system.

Don't forget to keep 'em work and family friendly. The mods have already mentioned they will delete any that go too far.

Also, if you find they slow your page loading too much, you can always turn them off. I like 'em to easily scan threads for posts from people I know online.

• Members

Do you have a photo editor program on your computer? Most will allow you to "Save as" to many different file formats, the most common being .bmp, .jpg and .gif.

The key, if you're a novice computer graphics person, is to open the .bmp in a program that can convert it via "Save as". It's possible your computer associates .bmp's with a paint program. Most limited paint programs save only to bit map file formats. I don't know why. {edit} I checked Paint in the MS XP Pro accessories folder and it now saves to multiple formats.{/edit} But nowadays most other editors can save from .bmp to .jpg or vice-versa.

• Members

Originally posted by TexasJim

I'm trying to use my existing avatar, which is a bitmap. The system will only take gif or jpeg.

Can anyone tell me how I can convert my 98 X 95 pixel bitmap to either a gif or jpeg?

Texas Jim

Assuming you're using a windows PC, you can open it in Paint. It should be in the Accessories folder in the start window or you can right click and go to "open with" and choose it there. you may also have other apps to do it from that menu.

Paint isn't the best thing to resize with. I'm not even sure how to. If you need to resize you may have to download an image editor. There are many free ones out there. Picasa, from Google, gets great reviews in PC magazines and is free. It's a photo manager and editor. http://picasa.google.com/index.html

• Members

Picasa is amazing, but you need to export your changes. Otherwise, they're simply a filter, of sorts, within Picasa's filing system. Otherwise, the changes appear within Picasa, but not outside of the program unless you "export" the adjusted photo.

That's great for editing without changing the original data.

Archived