Yamaha MG Boards

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

That's exactly why most don't.

Along those lines.... Did a show last week in which most of the acts had dj's. Last one to soundcheck was the only one using the real turntables (the rest used those cd things)

During soundcheck, the turntables are giving me barely any signal at all, so I ask the guy to give me some more signal. I get a bit more, but not much. After 2 more unsuccessful attempts, both FOH guy and I go up to check things out.

FOH engineer: Where's your master fader?

DJ: Huh? My what?

It was all the way down.

-Dan.

• Members

I'd bet that if the FOH engineer asked him where his volume control was, he'd have been able to show you.

Originally posted by IsildursBane

FOH engineer: Where's your master fader?

DJ: Huh? My what?

It was all the way down.

-Dan.

• Members

MG 16/6FX user here. I bought it off the Bay ($200 in excellent shape!) as a stop-gap until I decided what I definitley needed in a mixer before I drop serious cash on one. I've not yet run into a situaion where I couldn't do with it what I want so I still have it. I did get a separate vocal processor for lead vocals, but I use the built-in effects for backing vocals.

I use the channel EQ to adjust for everyone's vocal preference and to adjust for the different mics, but that's usually just a bit of cutting of a particular band of frequencies.

So far, so good so I'm sticking with it.

The only compaint I have was already mentioned. That power supply needs to be on-board.

• Members

A&H is roughly twice the price as Yamaha for similar capacity.

It does have long-throw faders though, along with a great overall layout. And it has that 'British' channel EQ, which brings me back to the question I posed earlier: Someone please explain to me the differences between EQ sections?! I presume that with everything flat you won't hear a difference. And that when cutting you simply cut, so you can't color the sound there.... but when boosting, the 'British' EQ lends a particular character to the sound. Is that close to what's going on?

Originally posted by DunedinDoug

Before purchasing an MG series, it may be worthwhile to take a glance at the Allen & Heath PA series.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

It does have long-throw faders though, along with a great overall layout. And it has that 'British' channel EQ, which brings me back to the question I posed earlier: Someone please explain to me the differences between EQ sections?! I presume that with everything flat you won't hear a difference. And that when cutting you simply cut, so you can't color the sound there.... but when
boosting, the 'British' EQ lends a particular
character
to the sound. Is that close to what's going on?

I'm with you, coyote... what's the big deal with the EQ thing. I thought later that maybe they were talking about the channel eq's, but I'm not sure.

The 7-9 band onboard EQs aren't meant for critical stuff anyways, ya just add your favorite 31-bander.

• Members

Marketing... that's what the "British" eq is all about. Back when that term was coined, the British couldn't market reliability so they marketed a feature (and very effectively).

Just like with their sports cars... never did you see an ad touting reliability.... an ad like that would have been just too funny to print.

There is a bit of truth though, if you go back to the 1950's (long before the days of R&R consoles) and look at the British recording industry. An engineer at EMI UK developed a selective feedback eq that allowed for LF and HF boost/cut that became the world-wide standard for bass/treble eq, but our reference to this being the British sound of a console is utterly foolish since virtually EVERY console (including ALL Japanese consoles) have used this identical circuit.

There are several modern mid eq sections, but the vast majority of them AND their idea topologies were developed by primarily U.S. engineers as part of the applications work that went along with the commercial development of the integrated operational amplifier. National Semiconductor, Signetics and others published countless application notes on multiple-feedback and state variable topologies.

Not discounting the British contribution here, they certainly added their touches (cold solder joints, oscillation, latch-up etc. ;) ) but the development had been done years before.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

It does have long-throw faders though, along with a great overall layout. And it has that 'British' channel EQ, which brings me back to the question I posed earlier: Someone please explain to me the differences between EQ sections?! I presume that with everything flat you won't hear a difference. And that when cutting you simply cut, so you can't color the sound there.... but when
boosting, the 'British' EQ lends a particular
character
to the sound. Is that close to what's going on?

I think you can find the PA20 (16 mic/line channels) for about the same price as an MG24, and it has the long-throw faders and parametric EQ. It's worth a look.

Archived