Yamaha MG Boards

• Members

I use the 10/2 as a monitor mixer for my IEM's (drummer). Works great, although the EQ is nothing spectacular.

One cool thing with the 10/2 (not sure about the bigger ones) is that you can buy a mic stand adapter and have it at arms reach when rehearsing/playing live.

I've never hooked up my studio monitors to it to give it a good listen, ...so can't help you any further.

Hope this gets the ball rolling :)

-LIMiT

• Members

I use a 16/4 for my small mixer.

For what it is, it does it's job well. Like LIMiT says, the EQ is nothing spectacular, but what can you expect for that price? It's defiantely worth every penny you pay for it. ( I got mine for $150 on ebay... not bad for a mixer for small gigs!)

• Members

I've been using a 16/6FX for about a year now doing bar gigs and parties. In my experience it's more than enough for that type of gig. The EQ's aren't anything amazing but they do work and have a sweepable mid. The effects are ok for what I need and the board is quiet overall. For the price I'm happy with it.

• Members

Been using an MG24FX for about eight months now. Before that we were using a Mackie CFX mixer, but needed more prefader aux for monitors. So far I've been very happy with this mixer; it does all that I need. Admittedly, the only FX we use is a little reverb and a little doubling.

I also have a Yamaha MC1602 mixer, that just keeps on going and going and going. My experience with Yamaha equipment over the years is that they are very durable and reliable pieces of equipment. To me, knowing that everything is going to work every time you turn it on is a little more important than that last little bit of fidelity quality (in the context of a cover band playing for drunks).

• Members

Originally posted by kayak

To me, knowing that everything is going to work every time you turn it on is a little more important than that last little bit of fidelity quality

Agreed... I have the MG 16/4 and it hasn't given me any problems over the last 12 months or so... Does the job, without the Christmas decorations... (Sorry, I am a bit early to be bringing that up!)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

hello, i find myself looking at an mg12/4fx for my small techno rig...

however i do like to use the eq's a lot when i mix, for subtle things as well as for more extreme dj-style rhythmic cutting of freq's etc.

since everyone agrees the yamaha eq's are only 'so-so', please let me know: what is it that's wrong with 'em, ie. do they 'not do much'... or do they 'sound harsh' or 'thin'... or what?

cheers

• Members

I have an MG16/4FX and love it, and all my Yamaha gear.

I would (as I have) just add a good 31-band Equalizer after the mixer, and I run everything flat.

OMHO, I don't think that any onboard EQ is going to be "all that", especially for what you wanna do.

• Members

thanks for the quick reply, encouraging that you like the 12/4...

indeed, suppose i would only be fully satisfied with eq that was dj-focussed, like the xone:92 or something.. .unfortunately to get 12 or more channels of that is nastily expensive.

perhaps my wants just outstrip my funds as usual :freak:

• Members

I use the MG32/14fx.

It's a great board. Packs a lot of features for the $$$, and all those features work very well.

I see some folks talking about the EQ being somehow sub-par. Compared to what? How's it better? And what's the price of the unit you're comparing it to?

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

I use the MG32/14fx.

It's a great board. Packs a lot of features for the $$$, and all those features work very well.

I see some folks talking about the EQ being somehow sub-par. Compared to what? How's it better? And what's the price of the unit you're comparing it to?

-------

I'm with you, dude. Maybe it's just my lack of "whatever", but I can't find any "sub par" in there? (little MG16/4FX)

Maybe that it's only (at least mine) 7-band might be a problem for some, but what does one expect on a mixer.

I've got a couple 31s in the rack, which is what one does if they need more EQ, like for Mon's.

• Members

A "different" product, or maybe an "additonal" product?

Please understand that this is a genuine question, not an argument.

When one gets a mixer with an on-board EQ, is that expected to be for all the EQing need one might require? Isn't it assumed that one would add an EQ for any additonal needs?

Isn't it assumed that it's for minimal needs, like maybe if your FOH usually runs EQ flat, or just if ya need a little somethin'.

Sometimes one might use the crossover to tailor the sound, like bringing the whole bottom down, (say there's a bass trap or something), and that's kinda like using a three-chanel EQ, in a way.

Do some just expect more function from the mixer's EQ, making it seem less-than par?

• Members

The channel eq is a tool, not a substitution for system eq, not a 31 band eq, not a parametric eq (in this mixer's case anyway). If you need to do on the fly "radical eq effects", maybe a digital console is a better choice? Maybe this is not the intended application for a sound reinforcement console? If the application is DJ oriented, perhaps a DJ oriented product would be a better choice? Though, from what I have seen, DJ eq's are pretty limited too.

• Members

My band has been gigging pretty heavily with the MG16/4 and its been solid. I find that only 2 aux sends (only 1 pre-fader) is limiting, and the left and right channel outs are controlled by the same fader..

IN regards to the channel-strip eqs. Overall I think they sound decent, but a sweepable mid with gain is pretty common. Also there is no input pad on the gains for the channels. I find that our close mic'd bass drums still clips alittle with the gain dropped all the way down.

Overall I think they're great bang for the buck mixers. With a few more features like 4 auxs, and a 4 -band eq and gain input pad, I think this mixer would start popping up on this forum alot as "highly recommended."

Archived