cerwin vega psx 123 speakers

• Members

my peavey cs1000 isn't quite getting them up to speed so i'm going to get another amp for these. just thought i'd see if anyone else has got a pair of these and what they're using them with.

i'm currently thinking a yamaha p5000 (500w/8 ohms stereo) to run them at their peak.

i'm not very fluent in specifications so could someone explain the difference between program/peak power ratings and if this generally has any negative effects on the speakers.

heres the details on them if anyones interested:

# Peak Power Handling: 500 watts

# Program Power Handling: 250 watts

# Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

# Sensitivity (1w/1m): 96 dB

any input appreciated, ta

(using them just for vocals/horns in venues with around 100 capacity)

• Members
Originally posted by skacore_luke

my peavey cs1000 isn't quite getting them up to speed so i'm going to get another amp for these. just thought i'd see if anyone else has got a pair of these and what they're using them with.

i'm currently thinking a yamaha p5000 (500w/8 ohms stereo) to run them at their peak.

i'm not very fluent in specifications so could someone explain the difference between program/peak power ratings and if this generally has any negative effects on the speakers.

heres the details on them if anyones interested:

# Peak Power Handling: 500 watts

# Program Power Handling: 250 watts

# Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

# Sensitivity (1w/1m): 96 dB

any input appreciated, ta

(using them just for vocals/horns in venues with around 100 capacity)

I certainly wouldn't put over 350 watts or so through them.

• Members

the plot thickens... walking back to the station after a night out in sheffield i came upon a dj equipment/pa establishment also selling the 123 cabs and claiming their peak is 750w @ 8ohms each and that they use them on a regular basis for events running them at 700 a side with no difficulties whatsoever. i think an email to cerwin vega is in order.

• Members

the plot thickens... walking back to the station after a night out in sheffield i came upon a dj equipment/pa establishment also selling the 123 cabs and claiming their peak is 750w @ 8ohms each and that they use them on a regular basis for events running them at 700 a side with no difficulties whatsoever. i think an email to cerwin vega is in order.

Just because somebody does it with no APPARENT damage doesn't mean damage is not being done. I have reconed plenty of CV's where that was the problem. I was also a warranty service center for them back in the 1980's. I believe that's only a 2.5" voice coil and there's no way in hell I would put that much power through MY speakers. It's your choice.

• Members

As a general rule you shouldn't run speakers with amps that can put out much more than the speakers "program" rating unless you've taken precautions.

Even if you can put more power into them ... they won't necessarly get any louder and they certainly will be more distorted and less artculate.

• Members

I don't see any thickening of any plot. Lots of people do lots of stuff.

• Members

You have the proper power going to the speakers already. If you're just amplifying vocals and horns for a 100 person room and it's not cutting it, the back line is either way too loud or you have a signal chain issue someplace. 300w of horns in a small room should be able to rip the ears right off people if you desired.

• Members

i came upon a
dj equipment
/pa establishment also selling the 123 cabs and claiming their
peak
is 750w @ 8ohms each and that they use them on a regular basis for events running them at 700 a side with no difficulties whatsoever.

*Loudspeakers' peak ratings are not there for amplifier matching.

*DJs can often be foolish

*Thats an impressive claim...almost like something a DJ store would tell you to try and sell some speakers...no?

So who you going to believe? The pros or foolish DJs trying to sell gear?

Steve.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

You have the proper power going to the speakers already. If you're just amplifying vocals and horns for a 100 person room and it's not cutting it, the back line is either way too loud or you have a signal chain issue someplace. 300w of horns in a small room should be able to rip the ears right off people if you desired.

last time was due to the backline because it was a bunch of metal/hardcore bands with two cab amps each.

the reason i started this thread was because i was hoping that i could have some extra room if needed, were i ever in a situation like that again.

it would also appear that the amp the guy claimed they match with them is not 700 a side as he claimed (well it is, but on at 4ohms) but 450 at 8.

ta, been helpful folks.

• Members

last time was due to the backline because it was a bunch of metal/hardcore bands with two cab amps each.

the reason i started this thread was because i was hoping that i could have some extra room if needed, were i ever in a situation like that again.

it would also appear that the amp the guy claimed they match with them is not 700 a side as he claimed (well it is, but on at 4ohms) but 450 at 8.

ta, been helpful folks.

Well,that is certainly more realistice. On the high side,but still somewhat reasonable. I really like the PSX line from C-V,especially at their super-low price. And they are quality ply construction and have a covering other than rabbit fur.

Archived