thinking about yamaha digital mixer

• Members

I am not exactly shure a local shop told me about it an showed me a picture. I have made plans to see it in use this weekend in a local venue. The gentlemen selling wants somthing smaller and easier to use. I will post how it went

• CMS Author

Originally posted by milesdf

actually guys, i think the seperate components for digital mixers is not the most viable path, but fully configurable operating systems which will allow the user to write or upload there own or purchased effects algorithms/packages will be a better alternative.

Originally posted by milesdf

there would have to be a standard created, just as there are standards that exist now (but too many and too few used) for digital transfer. it would be better if a software standard was created.

Standard interface between boxes = usually good

Standard anything inside the box = usually bad

The big problem is the dual-edged sword aspect of any standard...it makes it easy for anyone to create something that others may use, but it also chokes progress. Today's conservative standard is tomorrow's bottleneck. This is why you see so few standards today...the pace of technology simply outstrips our ability to forsee what we'll need tomorrow, let alone 5 years from now.

I will say this much: the last thing we need is a move towards technology that becomes obsolete as fast as PC's.

• Members

As a provider, i would think a digi mixer would not be the way to go, most BE will be freaked out by it, unless you have a client that demands a digital console, look into a more rider freindly analog - RE: Midas Verona

Then a larger output Mon desk, keep the mackies for smaller configs of that system and as back up or openers on the big shows!

Digital is great if it's part of the planned production (such as a tour with the same 3 bands) but on a gig by gig basis, you'll regret it!

• Members

okay so lets say you want a new mixer, and taht you really want to step up from teh mackie guys, what are the options, ..

Well I am going to say that you should look at a verona/ senia combo, but I don't know how much thta would cost. Failing that maybe you want to lok at the MH series, sound craft right? and other then that you can look at A+H ( I like there stuff). Lastly maybe a used pm4000?

Kev.

Archived