What is a Black Betty? 220 to 110

• Members

Hi,

I spoke to a man who has a "Black Betty", so he can plug into a 220 outlet and break it up into 2 x 110 outlets.

It seems like an easy way to get enough power. Is it that simple? And how often is a 220 plug available anyway?

With a Peavey 2600 running 4 Peavey 115X subs, and a QSC 3402 running a couple SRX715's, I think I can usually play off a 20 amp circuit, but if I every got a couple of SRX728 's or Peavey QW218's, it might get tough.

I have heard of a "distro" that can be hooked up to a board by an electrician, but that is way overboard for what I want to do.

I would not be surprised to hear about some guys who bought a large sound system who could not power it properly.

Any thoughts?

flip

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by flip333

Any thoughts?

flip

All I know about Black Betty... I've heard on the radio:

I think she's from Brimingham, Way down in Alabam'.

And she shakes something? And had a blind child? And she's rock steady? And "Whoa" has something to do with it all?

Other than that, I dunno?

I never much understood mid '70's bubblegum either.:D

• CMS Author

Originally posted by flip333

Hi,

I spoke to a man who has a "Black Betty", so he can plug into a 220 outlet and break it up into 2 x 110 outlets.

It seems like an easy way to get enough power. Is it that simple? And how often is a 220 plug available anyway?

With a Peavey 2600 running 4 Peavey 115X subs, and a QSC 3402 running a couple SRX715's, I think I can usually play off a 20 amp circuit, but if I every got a couple of SRX728 's or Peavey QW218's, it might get tough.

I have heard of a "distro" that can be hooked up to a board by an electrician, but that is way overboard for what I want to do.

I would not be surprised to hear about some guys who bought a large sound system who could not power it properly.

Any thoughts?

flip

A distro is the way to go. They come in many forms depending on what the source is and what the load will be.

Black Betty? Never met her. Show us some pics if you find one, but don't use it unless you get someone qualified to let you know if it's safe.

• Members

well it is one of those things that you shouldn't use, .. but basially, 220 is in fact 2 110's used together (gross simplificaton there!!! ) so what his device does is slipt them apart. It is not really a smart or safe thing to do, one issue that i see is that the breakers for 220 (back on the electrical pannel) are double throw, meaning if one goes so does the other. so if you mess up one 1/2 you going to take the other 1/2 with it. The other issue is that it is 1 thing to use 220 when all your power is bounceing between the 2 110's it is another to start useing the nutrual. so there may or may not be allowances for this.

As for how often 220 is avalible.- I would say most of the venues I deal with use that or the big brother 3 phase.

Kev.

Guest Anonymous

5c_2.JPG

Popularly sold as a "shore power" adaptor.

However, "Whoa" and "Wham-ba-lam" might be appropriate assessments of this haywire lash-up contraption.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

5c_2.JPG

Popularly sold as a "shore power" adaptor.

However, "Whoa" and "Wham-ba-lam" might be appropriate assessments of this haywire lash-up contraption.

That's what I was afraid he was referring to. Theses are a definite no-no. You plug into a circuit with a 50-amp breaker. The two splits are rated for only 30 amps. NEC strictly states that all components of a circuit must be rated to handle the current capacity of the circuit protection. So if you use all 50a cable and connectors, fine, but those 30's are no good here.

• Members

Originally posted by kevinnem

well it is one of those things that you shouldn't use, .. but basially, 220 is in fact 2 110's used together (gross simplificaton there!!! ) so what his device does is slipt them apart. It is not really a smart or safe thing to do, one issue that i see is that the breakers for 220 (back on the electrical pannel) are double throw, meaning if one goes so does the other. so if you mess up one 1/2 you going to take the other 1/2 with it. The other issue is that it is 1 thing to use 220 when all your power is bounceing between the 2 110's it is another to start useing the nutrual. so there may or may not be allowances for this.

As for how often 220 is avalible.- I would say most of the venues I deal with use that or the big brother 3 phase.

Kev.

Splitting 220v power is perfectly safe and appropriate, when done correctly. Splitting off a 220 service with the Y-cable shown is a bad idea. There are also adapters that go the other way, to take 2 110v services into one 220v connector. That's an even worse idea. But using a 4 wire 220v service, and splitting off into individually protected 110v circuits is just fine, and is very common in this industry.

But it all depends on what exactly this "Black Betty" term is referring to I guess...

• Members

Wow, thanks.

I too only knew of the 70's black betty! LMAO!!!

I suspected it was something I should not try to use. Electricity is very dangerous, and it scares me.

I'm OK for now.... I'll have to keep learning.

Great info,

flip

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

Splitting 220v power is perfectly safe and appropriate, when done correctly. Splitting off a 220 service with the Y-cable shown is a bad idea. There are also adapters that go the other way, to take 2 110v services into one 220v connector. That's an even worse idea. But using a 4 wire 220v service, and splitting off into individually protected 110v circuits is just fine, and is very common in this industry.

But it all depends on what exactly this "Black Betty" term is referring to I guess...

well I guess it depends on what you consider safe?

I don't know electical code for Canada - but even if it was allowed I wouldn't use it. I would use a full distro.

• Members

The only safe and legal adaptor of that type for the applications we commonly see is a NEMA 14-20P twistlock plug (circut will already be protected by a 2 pole x 20 amp breaker) to 2 x NEMA 5-15/20 receptacles. All other breakouts to 20 amp receptas will be unsafe by code definition.

Exception... NEMA L21-20P to 2 or 3 x 5-12/20R, same example but in 3 phase.

• Members

It's not very likey that you'll find the 220 Vreceptacle that the adapter fits in a club. Your much more likely to fin dthe 50 Amp range plug that has become the defacto standard for club sized distros-which you would still need to use it safely.

And I believe the artist was Ram Jam (I didn't even use google!)- Does this get me into the old farts consortium?

• CMS Author

BTW, it's probably cheaper than one of these ($269???) adapters to have an electrician build a small distro. A really basic 50a made from a 125a 12sp panel board, a neutral bus kit, some 6/4 soow, a 50a range plug and a half dozen quad boxes would run maybe $100 for parts, and about as much in labor. Basically all you're doing is running a 50a range plug on 6/4 into the panel, and install maybe 6 20a breakers, and run one feed from each to quad boxes mounted to the sides, with Edisons. Mount the panel on a slab of 3/4" plywood larger than the outside dimensions, and you're in business.

Archived