Mackie TT24

• Members

About a week ago, one of these boards was up on ebay (appeared to be in great shape). It fetched $3850- in bids. My question is: these boards go new for $7100-. Is that a normal amount of depreciation or is there something wrong with them that has created a big value drop.

• Members

Truth be told, they're not all that popular as of yet. Definitely not rider friendly for most acts and are a lot more expensive both in inital cost and for servicing. I don't see the point in getting one unless you are running the same band all the time, or its in an install in a church or club. It would be good in these situations because the presets for the routing etc can be saved to use again the next time the same act is at the venue or for the basic service setup.

• Members

Having played with one for a little while, they really missed on this board.

The pre's are really bad, and the latency in changing sends, eq, that kind of stuff is terrible.

I think it will need a revision before it can really become what Mackie wanted it to be.

Also, it does say Mackie on it, which is totally not rider friendly.

• Members

50% depreciation is pretty standard for used audio gear. Once you own it it's already out of date.

The TT24 is a nice console, with tons of i/o configs, decent built in dynamics and efx, but not for a one off company or install where engineers change daily. It's a great touring board, particularly for IEMs. I completely dissagree about the pres, they are ONYX prototype pres, and sound very nice. Later revisions of the console cured the latency issues pretty well, and there's no audio latency, just a bit on the recall, which for the price is very acceptable.

• Members

We have been using a TT24 for close to a year now. It is very easy and flexible to use. The mic pres sound very good and are definitely a big step up from the VLZ days. We ONLY use the board for one off and small festival events and love it! We have also used a Yamaha 01V for years prior to picking up the Mackie with great success. However, the Mackie is even more capable and sounds even better.

Whoever purchased the used TT24 for $3800 got an absolute steal! When looking at the price for a digital console you have to ask yourself what an analog console with the same capabilities would cost:

-the same configuration of mic inputs/line inputs

-4 Band FULLY parametric EQ on every input AND main outputs/aux sends

-Comps & limiters on every input and output

-Processing on the GROUPS!

-etc, etc.

Now factor in the fact that the digital board is self-contained and doesn't need that processing rack... It's pretty hard to beat.

My first time out with the TT24 I used it for a national act with full band including back up singers and horns. We had a stereo FOH mix and 6 monitor mixes going back to the stage. Definitely trial by fire but I wouldn't have been able to pull that gig off without the TT24 and it's ease of use.

Btw, $7199 is list/map on the TT24. They can be had for significantly less...

Jeff

PS. We are Mackie dealers mostly because of the TT24 console. There are some minor things I would change with the console but I think Mackie has a great board with the TT24 and the fact that they have been selling like crazy is a good indicator of that (most dealers have had back orders due to production runs selling out).

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Yep ... presets are pretty useless without memorizing the mic pre gain. I don't understand how manufacturers can offer a digital mixer that doesn't store them.

Or at least ship them with a supply of free replacement underwear for when the unexpected happens;)

• Members

Recallable gain isn't nearly as important as you would think... Yes, of course I would love it if the TT24 and the smaller Yamaha consoles had it but it's simply too costly to add to these boards.

I can live without it for two main reasons:

1) Similar signal sources are usually routed through the same input channels and usually have similar inputs levels. Think drum mics, DI's, lead vocals, etc. How many times do you really need to tweak the gain during the night?

2) When different input sources are routed through the board and you recall a preset, you have all the time you would normally use to setup EVERYTHING on an an analog board to ONLY set the input gain. I can totally live with that! You can also do things like mute potentially dangerous inputs, turn them down slightly, mute the groups, etc. on the stored presets to help alleviate any issues.

Jeff

Archived