MixWizard vs Peavey 16FX

• CMS Author

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or something like that.....

As much as I like Peavey, and have one of their mixers, I can't possibly recommend purchasing a product that's not available, let alone out there and proven. It comes down to whether or not you can afford to wait and check out the new Peavey, or whether you need a mixer now. It's hard to knock a Mixwiz, provided it's fully functional and a decent deal.

• Members

The 16fx model was announced last year, but won't be available for purchase until next month or ? later.

"The four pre-fader auxes per channel facilitate monitoring for live sound or recording, while the two post-fader auxes are ideal for adding effects (those built-in or outboard). These mixers also include dual digital effects processors to allow multiple simultaneous effects assignable to any channel via auxiliaries 5 and 6. The many onboard effects include reverb, delay, compression, de-esser, chorus and gate/expander.

The FX Series allows editing of effects with a library for each effect. There are two output processors operable in three modes

• CMS Author

Interesting, the 16fx is actually what, a 12ch mixer? I'm assuming the two stereo channels have and XLR mono input, but can't tell by the pic in that link.

So this mixer competes with the Mixwiz 14:4:2. I'd have to assume the 24FX is actually 16 full channels, but I'd have to see one to know.

The MW has an advantage in having 100mm faders, and dual sweepable mid bands. The former is more attractive for me personally, but I can see a lot of folks wanting dual mids.

Mixing on a MW is always a pleasure, but so too is my old RQ series Peavey. It seems there's a tough sell here...assuming competitive pricing, why should I buy the relatively unknown new Peavey vs the established Mixwiz? I'm not asking rhetorically....someone tell me.

• Members

(1) MixWiz has 2 sweeping mid EQ's. That is BIG!

(2) MixWiz has Phantom Power Switches on each channel. That is BIG!

Other than that the feature set is similar. Do you need sub groups for any specific reason? I have never understood the need for subgroups on most 16-ch mixers. Unless you have a reason for the groups I would lean toward a new MixWiz 16:2. It is less money than either of the others and has 16 full functioning channels.

MixWiz has a solid reputation. Of course there are still peaveys around from the 70's. One has a batter brand envy name (I'll let you decide which one.) I don't like anything in its first model year: not cars, not TV's, not wireless equipment, and not mixers.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

why should I buy the relatively unknown new Peavey vs the established Mixwiz? I'm not asking rhetorically....someone tell me.

Couple of things ...

It's not new and unknown ... it's an updated RQ with better mic pre's!

I think if you are compairing our $799 mixer to the A&H $1350 unit, both of which have 12 ch faders you might expect some difference. For one .. the Peavey has two of the best, three programmable efx at a time, units we ever made, a mini-VSX( two 27 band GEQs, 2 comp/Limiters, 2 feedback Ferret and an adjustable x-over)son the outputs and realtime MP3 stereo recording (just add a USB stick) included in the price.

The 24FX has 20 mono mic ins and the 32FX has 28.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by dboomer

Couple of things ...

It's not new and unknown ... it's an updated RQ with better mic pre's!

I think if you are compairing our $799 mixer to the A&H $1350 unit, both of which have 12 ch faders you might expect some difference. For one .. the Peavey has two of the best, three programmable efx at a time, units we ever made, a mini-VSX( two 27 band GEQs, 2 comp/Limiters, 2 feedback Ferret and an adjustable x-over)son the outputs and realtime MP3 stereo recording (just add a USB stick) included in the price.

The 24FX has 20 mono mic ins and the 32FX has 28.

$800 ?? The Musician's Buy ad linked above has the 16FX at $1,100. If it's $800 street, that's a no-brainer.

Assuming the copy in that link is what Peavey provides, perhaps more emphasis can be made of the crossover, VSX and Ferret features, as it's a little vague IMHO. Me likely from what you're writing.

But first can we get some verification of the street pricing approximates? And a release date.....

• Members

I can confirm LIST prices ...

16FX - $999

24FX - $1299

32FX - $1499

You'll have to use your imagination to figure out "street" pricing ;)

There are a few of these units out in the world being beta tested now. We have the units here in our warehouse now and are just finishing up the software ... which as soon as we load it in will be released ... probably 7-10 days.

• Members

Sweetwater is advertising the FX24 at $999. Not bad. I'd consider giving up a 2nd mid sweep for all the other features. I'm a bit confused on this part of the description:

There are two output processors operable in three modes

• Members

Sweetwater has the 16FX at $799 expected to arrive 13 april.

Have a crossover, a functioning symetrix compressor and an FX unit. don't absolutely need 16 mic channels. like the way the MW can send aux 1-4 to the subgroups for monitors and use their faders.

could sell the outboard gear certainly. the easier to use the better.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Ear Abuser

My local peavey dealer is usually in the area of 0.7 times MSRP.

Remember, the best prices are not usually on the website- you gotta talk to da man!

True dat. I don't buy online if I can buy locally. I hate waiting for anything, and hate having to ship items back if they don't work out. I also usually get a better deal than online, or match it. Mostly I just want to test my purchase, take it home then and there, and support the brick and mortar so I can keep doing this.

Archived