HELP All I got was a mixwiz16:3

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Fattone Mark

Hey Dookie.... what JRX's ? dont got no stinking jrx's

So I talked to the wife said the hell with it max out the CC & get what you need & be done with it Im tired of hearing you worry abot the upcoming gig I got $5000 what should i get the only peice of pa gear I own is the mix wiz & 2 peavey Qf31b eq's need FOH & Mons. I got $2000 out of her just By whinning!!! so thats why woman & kids do it all the time!!!!!wooohooo!!!!

4ea. JBL MP412 (2 FOH, 2 floor)

2ea JBL MP418

3ea QSC RMX2450

• Members

Yorkville E12's would be another speaker to consider (a bit cheaper).

The JBL MP418 is OK for a small direct firing sub, and it small and light, but the output isn't isn't overwhelming. If size isn't an issue look at the Yorkville LS808. The LS608 is smaller, and though I've never heard it, would think it would be at least comparable to the JBL.

Also, consider powered speakers. Like everything else there are pros and cons. For the novice that wants "plug & play" I think it's the way to go.

- Less of a learning curve

- Speakers matched perfectly to amps. You'll have a hard time blowing anything up as they are, for the most part "idiot proof".

- You get the benefit of bi-amped speakers. You'd likely not do this on your budget otherwise. It also requires more equipment and know how when going passive.

- No amp rack to buy (this saves $100 - $300)

- Generally use less power than the power amp class you'd be using otherwise. We can run 2 subs, 2 mains and 2 monitors off one circuit. You'd likely want 2 circuits with a QSC RMX powered setup.

- Easy to train "the rest of the band" how to set up.

- Depending on what you get, you may not need a crossover as some powered cabs have built in LPF and HPF (like the Yorkville stuff). This saves $100 - $300.

- Less "stuff" (to load in, to load out, to store, to transport, to maintain, to keep track of)

- Less cabling. Speaker cable is heavier and bulkier. If something goes wrong you have to repair it. With powered speaker you use XLR cables and likely have spares. you can also make different length runs easier. (Why carry around 50 ft lengths of speaker cable when you typically only run it 20 feet from the amp rack.

The cons are

- If a speaker goes out you have less chance of reconfiguring the system (although you'd generally just swap a monitor out)

- Have to deal with where to plug in which means more extension cords. I've never seen this as a problem and, in practice, find it a benefit as you can utilize the outlets away from the stage with less extension cords traversing the venue. I use 2, 25 ft "wind up" cords with outlets. You also don't have to worry about freeing up an entire circuit near the stage area for a rack of amps. The monitors can plug right in with the back line.

- Possible ground loop issues with PA being on several circuits. I've heard this can be an issue, but haven't really experienced it. There's actually less buzz in the system in some venues.

• Members

Well I did it i ordered 2-ef 500pb & 2-ls800pb & 2 Nx25p for moniters !If it sucks Im blameing all you guys! bought it with out ever hearin them sooooo.... any one got any favorite Eq curves for this set up? I got 2 -31 bands for foh & 2-15 bands for mon. any pointers for 1st time set up & use?

• Members

Originally posted by Fattone Mark

Well I did it i ordered 2-ef 500pb & 2-ls800pb & 2 Nx25p for moniters !If it sucks Im blameing all you guys! bought it with out ever hearin them sooooo.... any one got any favorite Eq curves for this set up? I got 2 -31 bands for foh & 2-15 bands for mon. any pointers for 1st time set up & use?

Nice!

Might want to start with these settings.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=672827&highlight=ef500p+settings

Start with recorded music that you know sounds good. Have no eq on the board channels.

I would start with the subs crossover set at 90hz with the shape and level mid way or straight up.

I'd use no eqing below 120hz or so on your 1/3 eq because you have different subs than the link. For the tops start with the tops volume knob all the way down and the 100hz cut on. Play your music and turn up the volume of the tops untill you get a good blend between subs and tops. Normally I do this in every room because bass is the first problem I address when I start eqing a room. Most rooms have build up in the 250hz and 315hz range. You may want to cut a few db's more in that range if the sound is not clear.

Because the tops have 6db's of boost or cut I leave the subs volume alone and use the tops volume to adjust room for room.

If a room is bass heavy I turn up the tops alittle.

Or if a room is bass thin I would turn the tops down some.

When you have this done give a good listen in the 90 to 130 hz area. If it sounds a little thin turn up you crossover on the sub a little to fill this in. Maybe have a friend do this while you listen. Remember not to have the sub to loud in relation to the tops as they will stick out as a seperate speaker instead of a system. Use your top volume knob to get a good blend.

Adjust the shape knob if you want but for me I leave mine straight up. Remember as you turn it up you are increasing 50hz area and are using up headroom in the sub. Believe me it takes allot to get the subs to start to limit so this really depends on the users needs/music style etc.

When possible I have the subs in the center for best coupling and have the tops on tripods. This gives an even bass sound in most of the rooms I work as well as a great bass drum thump.

Let us know when you are up and running.

Kindest Regards

Dookietwo

Archived