Any recommendation for a cheap, small practice mixer?

• Members

We need to plug in 3 vocal mics and a source for music (IPod or CD).

We're using Mackie SRM450s, so no power is needed.

Is Behringer total garbage for this application? Or maybe a cheap Mackie 1202? I'm looking for something inexpensive!

We don't want to have to hook up the A&H GL2400 just to practice.

• Members

(personally) I'd stay away from behringer mixers.

Look at the Yamaha MG8/2FX. $130 NEW.

It would give you 4 mic inputs, cd input and built in effects (usable for rehearsals). It's nice little mixer to keep around for those times when you just want to goof with something.

If you want to future proof it a bit, look at the Yamaha MG12/4FX.

But... i personally like to have a little mixer around (like the MG8), I seem to find use for it all the time.

• Members

I've been impressed with my Yamaha MG12 (for over 2 years now)so I imagine MG8/10 should be excellent as well. If you want effects, Peavey's PV10 is excellent, quiet and has decent delays and reverbs built-in. A little more expensive than the Behringer but the Peavey comes with a 5 year warranty if you register the product... good luck! Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members
Originally posted by Shovelhead

We need to plug in 3 vocal mics and a source for music (IPod or CD).

We're using Mackie SRM450s, so no power is needed.

Is Behringer total garbage for this application? Or maybe a cheap Mackie 1202? I'm looking for something inexpensive!

We don't want to have to hook up the A&H GL2400 just to practice.

Soundcraft Spirit M-series are really decent for the price.

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations!

I found a used Behringer for less than 100 bucks. It'll work fine for my purposes.

I have a Carvin C1644P that I use for a small club rig. I use the internal amps to power monitors, and use external power amps to power FOH speakers (subs and speakers on a stick). It works really well in this situation.

My band has another sound system for mid-size clubs that consists of a A&H GL2400, scoop subs powered by 800w per side, and a pair of Mackie SRM450 for the tops.

I just needed a really small and cheap mixer to leave at the rehearsal room that would allow 3 to 4 vocals and a way to hear recorded music.

Thanks again!

Guest Anonymous

We've been using a 25 year old (or so) Tapco mixer for practice for years (decades).

Recently I picked up a used Soundcraft Spirit Racpac mixer on eBay for about $150 and mounted it in a little pop-up case. This is working well for practice when we need more input channels than the Tapco offers... plus, I'm now bringing the Racpac mixer to gigs as a back-up board.

Archived