What are your rates for providing a sound system?

• Members
Originally posted by Smitty-PNS

For those of you who provide a sound system, what do you charge for 1 night?

What is your breakdown charges by venue size?

(i.e. Small, Medium, Large)

I don't ever hardly have a night off from playing but when I did/do I charge about $275 which would get you about 7K worth of FOH power, basic onstage monitors, and three trees of par 56's. If it is an outdoor thing or very large venue, the price would reflect it. Same with something over 60 miles each way. But I just do it on off nights to keep the equipment earning its keep.

Guest Anonymous

I have a formula:

1) 1% to 2% of the replacement value of the gear required to do the job. That "required" portion is subject to a lot of grey area.

plus:

2) $15 to $40 per man-hour depending on the job description.

plus:

3) 30cents a mile to $1 per mile per vehicle portal to portal depending on the transportation involved.

plus:

4) 1X to 2X out of pocket expenses... depending on the call.

plus:

5) $100/hr to pull teeth... if pulling teeth is required. I've gotten to be a real hard-ass about this cause I'm sick and tired of pulling teeth. If an event wants to put a know-nothing, do-nothing in as the point person that I've got to deal with, then fine... it will only cost them $100/hr for me to deal with their decision.

All of this is subject to a .5X to 2X factor or more depending on basically the PITA and attitude factor.

• Members

When I did shows in New York City I had a line item on my invoices...

PIA..... $ 500.00

If ever questioned about it I simply told the person it stood for Pain In the Ass. Cause that's what working in NYC is...

Our rates have changed since we've moved from the NY Metro area to rural VA. We rent equipment out at 10% of replacement cost per day. Delivery is charged at $ 50.00 per hour door to door. Production labor usually gets charged at the following:

EIC - $ 75.00/hr.

2nd - $ 40.00/hr.

3rd - $ 30.00/hr.

That's also our installation rates BTW.

• Members

That's the truth...

I initiated the PIA charge after my Ryder was towed from a loading zone at the Beacon Theatre and it cost me $ 500.00 cash plus a cab fare to retrieve it...

As time went on, we added perks to our contracts such as hotel rooms, room service, etc., got to be very nice to work in NYC. :)

• Members

It's all over the place really. Just yesterday I received THIS from a guy that just does it on the side. Not the cream of the crop as far as gear goes, but for $150 for lights, sound and a guy to run it, if he knows what he's doing, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Generally it's $100 - $300 for the part timers doing it as a hobby/business. That's really about all the market can support for the working weekend warrior band. Bar gigs are generally $350 - $700.

As for us, we use the same person all the time for our sound. When using our system he gets $100 to mix and assist in tearing down the PA, a 20 min job with he and I doing it. He helps set up a good bit of the time too. We bump it up accordingly if there's a PITA factor or the show isn't local.

When using his system, which is extremely nice (EV Xline subs and QRX tops, top notch FOH rack) it starts at $200. We generally assist with load in and set up and always with tear down. In both cases the lighting is mine.

• Members

Originally posted by BillESC

That's the truth...

I initiated the PIA charge after my Ryder was towed from a loading zone at the Beacon Theatre and it cost me $ 500.00 cash plus a cab fare to retrieve it...

As time went on, we added perks to our contracts such as hotel rooms, room service, etc., got to be very nice to work in NYC.
:)

We pretty much stopped doing downtown Boston gigs for that reason. Especially the swanky hotels are a major PITA. No or miniscule loading dock with guaranteed parking violation ticket ($75) fighting with the decorators/lighting/caterers for unloading space and the freight elevator, security hassle, etc.

One of the high lights: at the Copley Plaza Westin you have to give you driver's license to the hotel as a deposit for an access badge. The only place to park without getting towed is valet parking in the hotel garage. At 3 am it took the attendendant about half an hour to tretrieve all our cars (it was a fairly big band/crew). Since I'm Mr. Nice Guy I go last and finally make it out of there. Once I finally make the toll highway (no way to turn around for miles) it hits me: hotel security still has my driver's license. :mad:

• Members

Every region will vary depending on economics and competition. Here in Boston your typical 40 FOH 40 monitors system for a couple thousand goes for around $1500-2000/day locally with 2 system techs. This would include a VCA console FOH(SC, Midas, etc), several high end efx processors, a couple dozen channels of dynamics, separate monitor console(again SC, Midas, etc.) 8 mixes onstage all biamped, (3-4 way fills if needed) and a nice mic package. 20-30K of FOH power, and enough speakers to adequately cover the venue, front fills if needed, etc. Depending on the venue, it could be a stacked system or a line array, JBL, EAW, etc.

This system will satisfy pretty much any national rider.

It would require at least 4 reliable able bodied reputable stagehands for i/o, and a licensed electrician to tie i/o.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

We also have an invoice line item... "M.O.P.A" which stands for mood oriented price adjustment.

Funny how common this concept is eh?

I suspose it's about like anything what involves equipment, labor, judgement calls, and a potentially high level of liability... in a variety of situations.

Examples:

1) Concrete flatwork in a straight ahead situation... like a driveway pour on basically flat ground... that's pretty cheap... even from pros who do a great job.

2) Retaining wall concrete work... requiring a bunch of excavation work... in some inaccessable location... mud to your knees... and an owner riding your ass about making a mess, and noise, and a general disruption... but wanting it done perfect, and done yesterday... that's lots more expensive... and if the contractor gets backed into a no-win corner... the job might turn out lousy (or not at-all) regardless of the price.

• Members

If I'm taking my bands little PA and running the sound, $250 for the show. If I;'m going to a gig and working as an A2 $375 gets you 10 hours of ME!!!(union scale), Have not really done much FOH stuff that was contracted for just that (briefcase gigs) . I work with the City of ***** *** ***** and make considerably less ($15/hour) , but it is fun on-call work with good people and nice equipment, so I count it as my 'extra income' (real gigs, band gigs, city gigs, that's how they go in my head as far as pay.....)

• Members

Out here, at least in the last 5 years we've charged typically $350-500 for your standard bar (occassionally higher based on the requests or circumstances for the PA system. Lights were extra $$ if they were requested. There are a handful of $200.00 PA's systems in the area that people use too.

Rocksalad

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

Damn, Vegas is lookin pretty good.

-Dan.

Yeah, and with the union scale set up the way it is, everyone on the show gets scale, so it can work out to some very good OT and other niceties (meal penalties where they have to pay you double time for every hour over X without a meal break...) My best yet was $2800 for a two day gig (a poker tournament for a major network, mostly just putting lavs on players {got to meet all the top guys} and waiting and more waiting.... I swear the players were 'trading chips' and we were there for 19 hours the first day....). If you want to know where the money is being spent, look at corporate/convention and Television!!

• Members

As a member of local 365 in New Jersey we were often called to fill in on calls at Giants Stadium (local 642) and one of the best calls I got was as a camera shadow for a Greatful Dead show.

A video company was shooting for some cable series and every member of their crew had to have a IA shadow. So for 18 hours I hung out with nothing to do at scale and got a video bonus of $ 400.00 in cash.

Nice gig. :)

• Members

Mine covers a large range, as I do sound for many different types of occasions. Anywhere from $50 to $3000.

Setting up a small pa with one wireless mic for a local wedding reception: $50

Corperate type gigs (nightclub type shows, graduations, school musicals, etc): $100 - $500

Local bands: $100 - $300 - From small bars that pay around $500 to outdoor types-county fairs, street dances, etc.

Multi day shows: $1500 - $3000 - Depends on the number of days, how far I have to travel, type of music, etc)

It may not be as much as some people make, but the local economy is slower here (mostly eastern Nebraska) than it is in other parts of the country. Our cost of living is considerably lower as well. So it all balances out, I suppose. Of course the equipment still costs the same, as I shop the same places most everyone does. We do this as a side business, so we don't depend on it to do anymore than pay for itself (which, if I'd quite updating equipment, would actually do better than that!).

Joel

• Members

I ran sound for a lot of the local shows here. For one time or only occasional promoters I charge 150$ for mains. 50$ each if I need to bring monitors or subs.

For promoters that use me on a regular basis I drop the price a bit. I am a full time college student, right now this is the only "work" I do but it brings in enough to pay rent. After ~6 months the system has paid for itself.

• Members
Originally posted by almstprfnd

I ran sound for a lot of the local shows here. For one time or only occasional promoters I charge 150$ for mains. 50$ each if I need to bring monitors or subs.

For promoters that use me on a regular basis I drop the price a bit. I am a full time college student, right now this is the only "work" I do but it brings in enough to pay rent. After ~6 months the system has paid for itself.

WOW! I wish I could charge that! With those figures, a typical bar gig would pay $600! And you never mentioned lighting. I assume that is extra also?

• Members
Originally posted by almstprfnd

150 is the base price for amp/mixer/2 mains.

50 extra if I need to bring two monitors, another 50 if i need to bring a pair of subs.

no lighting.

It said "each". I assumed that meant for each box. What do bands typically do for lighting/effects if the sound company doesn't provide it?

• Members

Here's an example of some of our pricing.

Tomorrow we are rentaing out a small system for a corporate conference with the following equipment.

2 - KV2 EX 10 on ultimate TS90 stands - $ 150

1 - Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro - $ 30

4 - Audio Technica ATW 2120 wireless mics - $ 200

1 - Lot of cables (XLR & AC) - $ 25

Total $ 405.00 They pick up and return to our warehouse.

On Halloween we are delivering and setting up the following at a country club for a Murder Mystery Dinner.

2 - Mackie SRM 350 on TS90 stands - $ 100

1 - 1642 VLZ Pro - $ 30

1 - Lot of cabling - $ 25

Delivery setup and strike after the event (10 minutes from my house) $ 130

Total $ 285.00 The act is supplying their own wireless mics.

During this Halloween event we're also supplying one AL12R self-contained speaker system with mic for the towns costume parade at no charge.

On December 28th we're booked for the Holly Ball at a country club.

We are providing a sound system for a 60' x 120' tent, 3 camera video shoot, one large screen rear projection system with live feed, three 36" monitors with live feed, video lighting for 60 percent of the tent area and a complete intelligent dance floor lighting system. Total cost to the customer $ 6400.00

To give you an idea of my market, the county I reside in has just less than 12,000 in population.

Archived