SLS LS86595 line array question for Timmyp

• Members

I was just looking over over your website http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/SLS/LS8695.htm, great information! I have a couple of questions about the SLS LS86595 line array. These are probably the two most common first questions. Weight (I'll guess 210 lbs) and cost (I'll guess 10K each). Third question are you using those speakers wtth a sub? For small club work it sounds like you have them bolted to the top of the amp rack for elevation? When you store them do you leave them bolted to that amp rack? How do these guys compare to the Yorkville u15's?

• Members

Originally posted by postbop64

I was just looking over over your website
great information! I have a couple of questions about the SLS LS86595 line array. These are probably the two most common first questions. Weight (I'll guess 210 lbs) and cost (I'll guess 10K each). Third question are you using those speakers wtth a sub? For small club work it sounds like you have them bolted to the top of the amp rack for elevation? When you store them do you leave them bolted to that amp rack? How do these guys compare to the Yorkville u15's?

I'm not Tim but I'm a dealer for and user of the LS8695s so I can answer some of your questions. The weight of the bi-amp only unpowered LS8695AX is 106 lbs. each. The MSRP for the LS8695AX is $3595 each, the powered version is $5775 each. (Feel free to contact me for real price quotes.)

I use 4 of these, stacked or hung 2 per side, for large ballroom events along with subs, usually 4 or 6 LA400s.

If I were doing smaller ballrooms or bars and clubs I would prefer to use the U15s or U15Ps, for which I also am a dealer and have a fair amount of experience with.

• Members

Also look at the A-Line Acoustics Emma, which are substantially less expensive. (I've not heard them.) http://www.a-lineacoustics.com/emma.html

Yes, I have them bolted to my amp racks, so they cannot be knocked over. I use them with a pair of QW218s (I had a pair of Aura 1808s until they finally wore out)..

The LS8695 and U15 are so different that it's hard to make comparisons. I will say that although I like the U15, the time that I tried them in my rig in place of my SLSs - in a room I work often - I was disappointed with the fidelity that I was able to get out of the U15s. There's been only one room in which I was disappointed with the SLSs as compared to the pattern-controlled loudspeakers I'd heard in that room. (A double high stack of SLS might have fixed that). The near 0 vertical dispersion of the SLS does require that you advance your venue to see if they will work, though.

If blasto rock is your thing, go with the U15s as compared to a single SLS. You can array two per side for coverage, or stack them for level & throw. IF you keep your levels reasonable (choruses at 95dBA@50' or less) a single SLS per side will work well, but a double would work much better I'm sure.

• Members

Okay guys, .. lets make sure we don't step over the boundry of this being a place of information, help, and support in to it being a marketing campain for your gear.

I know that this site generates revenue for your bussinesses, but that is not the purpose of this section, if you want that sort of exposure, buy some advertiseing.

Kev.

• Members

But Don's comments are pertenant to the disciussion. The sound of a ribbon top end is qute nice IF it suits the application (Peavey's is within a waveguide-horn flair which improves directionality and IMO is more useable). Ruggedness and efficiency have always plagued ribbons, but this is getting better all the time.

Archived