Solo gear on a diet?

• Members

Thanks alby, that is a nice review!

I have only heard the ZX5's a time or two at Sam Ash and what I did hear sounded nice. Granted I have no idea what kind of processing or amps they were using but they did seem to have nice mids and highs. With the lows that PC/keys generated music can put out I bet a single sub would be a nice addition to your setup hitting those low 30-50hz notes. Just a thought.

Ev makes a small sub called the SB121 that only weighs 30+ pounds with a
15" woofer. I guess a pair of these subs and a pair of ZX1's make a great combo.

I was doing some searching on EV's site about these speakers (ZX5) and found that you can get a 60x60 box version, so I guess that you could put 2 of these side by side together for larger shows.

• Members
I wonder how a ZX-1 and LS200P would perform compared with using 15"+1" full-range speakers. The LS200P's only weigh 57lb. The ZX-1's sound amazing and pretty much fly out of your car into the venue on their own.....

That new Yorkville NX720s -
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=365

...is only 73 lbs. I'm thinking that you pair it w/a pair of the Yorkie NX55P's (47lbs.) -
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=22&type=29&id=339

and you've got a great little system, w/low "gross" + "net" carry weights. :thu:

• Members

Actually it does.

What sort of racking arrangement are you planning (you wrote the MW's connections are at the "top")? Are you putting it on the front of a standard amp rack? If so, note that the Mixwiz does indeed offer the option of flipping the connector pod so the connections are on the underside for vertical rack mounting. In this config the MW is 10U high.

That extra space is well used...100mm faders, 4-band EQ with two swept mids (arguably one of the best EQ's in this price range of mixers), 6 aux sends, individual phantom power, channel HPF, channel input pads, separate mono output that can be used for either mono, aux-fed subs, or as a center channel (fed by aux 5), and MIDI-control and editing for the internal effects.

Oops that

• Members

To bad you need lots of imputs, this looks like a super sweet mixer,

http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=38

Audiophile Rotary Club Mixer
Xone:V6 is an echo of the earliest days of pro audio, when idealistic individuals created outstanding products free from cost or time constraints. Such creations were never cheap. Nor did they sell in their thousands. But they did become landmark design classics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our mission for Xone:V6 was simply to build the highest quality club mixer ever. We painstakingly refined our signal paths to optimise audio transparency. Hundreds of the best quality components were evaluated and of these only the very finest were approved for the project. The result is a mixer that gives great recordings the space and freedom to express their full warmth and clarity.

• Members

Hi Craig,
Originally I had hopes of built-in power, quality multi-effects and 16 inputs but no line mixer had that, so I started looking at desk-style rack-mount mixers (after all I do own two of them: Mackie 1604 VLZ and the Behringer DDX3216).

I forgot to mention I had a Mackie LM-3205 for a few years on loan, it was OK but not as clean as I might have hoped nor was the EQ quite what I would have hoped. I guess it had the guts of the CR1604, the first of the little Mackie

• Members

I wonder how a ZX-1 and LS200P would perform compared with using 15"+1" full-range speakers. The LS200P's only weigh 57lb. The ZX-1's sound amazing and pretty much fly out of your car into the venue on their own.....

The ZX5s would most likely blow them to the next village... in terms of overall SPL anyway. The ZX-1s look awesome for their size but you'd have to pair them with better powered subs. I have owned a pair of the PS110Ps which are basically the same as the LS200Ps and although they do add some low end to a bass challenged system, they don't plunge particularly deep and are very limited output wise. Add better subs to the ZX-1s and the system would sound better overall than the ZX5s alone but probably would not be quite as loud. I wouldn't mind having a pair of those ZX5s. For a 50lb speaker, they look like they could kick some serious ass.... Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• CMS Author
Hi Craig,

Originally I had hopes of built-in power, quality multi-effects and 16 inputs but no line mixer had that, so I started looking at desk-style rack-mount mixers (after all I do own two of them: Mackie 1604 VLZ and the Behringer DDX3216).

I forgot to mention I had a Mackie LM-3205 for a few years on loan, it was OK but not as clean as I might have hoped nor was the EQ quite what I would have hoped. I guess it had the guts of the CR1604, the first of the little Mackie

• CMS Author

Alby, they're line mixers. They aren't supposed to have tons of routing options or EQ. When a line mixer is specified, the preamp work was done up the signal path, hence the line-level signal. When you suggested a line mixer, I assumed you meant a line mixer.;):D

The two line mixers I suggested were chosen because they do indeed work together (The Ashley has pre-master sub ins and outs), and they met your spec of 16 channels total, with 2 mic pre's.

In an earlier post you told me "Would you consider thinking like a high tech solo act with a series of dedicated single purpose processors and modules and not like a typical band needing generic time based effects, lots of EQ, lots of mic pre

• Members

hey alby, another question about your speakers, dont remember you mentioning anything about the amount of power per speaker or channel that your using. You really got me curious about the EV's. How would they sound with 600w in each speaker, perform ok?

thanks, Bob

• Members

With the QSC USA 900 the Zx5's were adequate at moderate volumes (but somehow a bit indistinct) and they lost some definition at higher volumes, they just sounded bit soft and sloppy.

With the Peavey PV2600 they were quite transparent at moderate volumes and at higher volumes they held together very well. Tight would be the word I might use.

The question I don

Archived