Using A 1/4 to XLR Cable, Any Disadvantages?

• Members

i would say there is a disadvantage to your setup. depending on the output of the mic it can work like you describe, but since the nano is looking for a line level and yur mic is likely a lot less than this level the result is quiet.

i suggest you run the mic into a mixer and use the nano as a send/return or at the very least an insert

(p.s. dont use it as an insert)

• Members

Yeah, the is nothing wrong with XLR to 1/4", but there is something wrong with mixing up mic level and line level signals. Your mic needs to be run through some kind of preamp before feeding line-level gear.

Thanks for the info:)

So is this causing any damage, or am I just losing volume? :confused:

The mic is an Audi i5 dynamic, and the speaker(s) are the RFC, set for mic level. Last night at my regular wine bar gig was the first time I tried this set up and it was the best tone I think I

• Members

I don't know of any specific mic processor to recommend since I don't use one, but they just about all have mic preamps in then for using them direct.

As far as getting and using a mixer with a mic preamp and knowing the slamming will begin, Behringer sells a couple tiny mixers, specifically the two mono mic channel one (formerly MX602, then UB802, now something else 802) that's very small, has phantom power for active DI or condenser mics, a post fader Aux send for FX looping, and a couple stereo channels for other stuff like playing a CD on break or a backing track. I think the new ones are about $60 USD. Line wart power supply and no on/off switch on the UB802 that I bought on closeout for $40 for the occassional DJing and as a Phantom power supply ;>)

Peavey makes several small mixers but I'm not familiar with the newer ones, features & cost. But they will be dependable.

Boomerweps

• Members

Thanks again:)

Since I posted this afternoon I played a very large silent auction type corporate gig. Pretty huge room. I used the same setup, sounded great again, but I now see the point about the line level thing. I noticed that I had the volume on the speaker and Nano WAY higher than I normally do when I

• Members

First thing to try is a mic to line transformer, that may give you enough voltage "gain" (due to the impedance transformation) to work out ok. The Nanoverb has a fair amount of gain on the input (and the outut as make-up) so you may indeed get away with this set-up.

• Members

No problem, glad it worked as I suspected, though a couple of the new people here might hate it when I am right ;)

(Actually, I was involved with the development of the chipset used in the Nano, and did pre-release development of different application circuits using Beta silicon, so I was not really guessing or flying blind)

• Members

I use a Nanoverb in front of my 1964 Fender Concert. I adjust the input to my guitar, and max the output to goose the front end of the Concert, and mix "room2 reverb" to taste. I know a lot of tone snobs hate digital reverbs, but I think it sweetens up my tone nicely, and I get lots of compliments on my sound.

Archived