$2500 USD PA System

• Members

Judging by the pictures the challenges that room is gonna offer, I agree with the electric drum set recommendation.

I gotta ask though: How many folks are in the youth praise band, and how many are in the youth praise band audience... that you need this PA to cover? The reason I ask is that I've seen possibly similar situations where putting the money first into the monitor rig made the most sense. And... just like when I played basketball in highschool... we had to pay for our own shoes to play on the team... it might be an idea to strongly urge that each member of the band pay for their own IEM rig... and their own mics.

I agree getting a set of electric drum. That's probably down the road. Just curious, how many channels does electirc drum need from the mixer? Just one?

Ih the praise band, there are ~4-6 of us.

What a great idea, get the band to invest in some IEM & mic rig. Any recommendations for IEM?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is not so much of WHAT to specify for the job but to get the right tools for this job the first time. There are only so many budget offerings viable for him.

The facility seems to be a multipurpose room used by the church. Obviously the youth are the ones using the sound system the most. The space is probably used on Wednesday nights, church fellowship meetings, and maybe wedding receptions, too.

Yes Jasp, the facility is a multipurpose room. The top priority is the Sunday Youth Worship. Alpha, Awana, Fellowship will also access this space.. maybe a reception/gathering here and there.

• Members

Are you looking to install the system or keep it portable?

Probably keep it portable. I don't forsee taking things down week after week. But i guess having the options to be portable will be a plus.

So if I do get EQ's and amp to power some floor monitors, I probably will need to get a rolling rack mount.

• Members

Probably keep it portable. I don't forsee taking things down week after week. But i guess having the options to be portable will be a plus.

So if I do get EQ's and amp to power some floor monitors, I probably will need to get a rolling rack mount.

If you don't forsee taking the system down week after week, get an installed system. I like to think of portable systems for one-off events or a portable event. Can you imagine what the church leadership will eventually say to you?

"Why do we have all these cables laying along the floor/Can you clean up your 'mess' a bit, etc., etc."

You said that $2500 is all you're gonna get. But, you need to beg for more $.

If that fails, your best option may be to put together a self-contained portable PA so that when the church decides to upgrade to SYSTEM #2, you'll be able to:

1. Use the portable system for portable events

2. Skip the common "second sound system" step because you've had enough time to convince the leadership that a realistic budget will prevent buying three sound systems.

Good Luck!

• Members

If it has to stay portable, then the whole idea of flying goes out the window doesn't it?

Not really. The idea of flying is absolutly possible, in fact; it's the most ideal. The reason for portable is because in case if they have functions with kids, they would probably want me to put the mixers and speakers away so they kids won't trip over.

Ideally, i would love to have flying speakers, then a rack rolling case for my mixer and rack gig. So I just need to roll the rack around if they do need to move things around.

• Members

Not really. The idea of flying is absolutly possible, in fact; it's the most ideal. The reason for portable is because in case if they have functions with kids, they would probably want me to put the mixers and speakers away so they kids won't trip over.

Ideally, i would love to have flying speakers, then a rack rolling case for my mixer and rack gig. So I just need to roll the rack around if they do need to move things around.

The speakers however will be much harder to take down. By portable most people consider the ability to take the entire system to another location and set up. That becomes much more difficult when the speakers are flown and leads to possibly more dangerous situations if you have to "re-fly" the speakers quite often.

Les

• Members

That becomes much more difficult when the speakers are flown and leads to possibly more dangerous situations if you have to "re-fly" the speakers quite often.

Les

Anybody who has ever affixed Christmas lights to their house (in any tasteful way) can vouch for the influence height has on gravity. It's amazing how "heavy and unruly" a 50 lb. speaker gets when you're up one step on a ladder... to say nothing of being 12 or 14 ft. in the air in a vaulted ceiling room.

Generally "flown" speakers are flown once, unless the speakers and flyware are outfitted with chain motors. Of-course, I'd suspect the flyware and chain motors suitable for routinely re-flying speakers will blow the OP's budget skyhigh.

• Members

I must be missing something here... you want them portable AND flown because you don't want kids tripping on them? How can they trip on them if they are flown???:confused:

• Members

I must be missing something here... you want them portable AND flown because you don't want kids tripping on them? How can they trip on them if they are flown???
:confused:

Haha.. oh no.. Sorry for misleading.

It'll be great if it's flowing speakers, because the kids won't trip over them. The reason I said the church probably wants it 'portable' it's b/c they will have the freedom to play around with the space without anything fix on the ground. So flying speakers is the perfect solution. But I don't think flying speaker and the word 'budget' goes into the same sentence.

Les, if we do manage to put in fly-speakers. We certainly won't be taking it down.

• CMS Author

Here's the one place I'll strongly suggest you get the church to pay for professional help. DO NOT attempt to fly any speaker yourself. This is an enormous liability issue for you and the church. Very likely the church's insurance underwriter will agree wholeheartedly with me.

The cost of hiring pro's for this is MUCH cheaper than the lawsuit, not to mention that you'd never want one of them coming down on one of the kids.

• Members

But I don't think flying speaker and the word 'budget' goes into the same sentence.

Right! ... it probably adds at least $200 per box for the internal flyware and the difference in the wood cabinet. There are a number of plastic cabinets that come with fly points already installed (ours included ... PR series and Impulse series)

• Members

For the size of your space a pair of mackie C300 passive cabinets would do a nice job. The come standard with fly points and weigh only 40 pounds.

A pair of these would run you around $ 800.00 which leaves a lot of your budget left for an amp, mixer, cables and mics.

• Members

Now i am just worrying, in case our church can't afford a pair of NX55.

How does the NX35 compare other then the extra wattage, do you folks think the NX35 will be enough for our space?

**Picutres are on page 4

Thanks everyone

• Members

Now i am just worrying, in case our church can't afford a pair of NX55.

How does the NX35 compare other then the extra wattage, do you folks think the NX35 will be enough for our space?

It appears you're still fixated on wattage... but that's understandable since wattage is a number (one number) and if the formula can be reduced to one number, that makes life a lot easier... just find the biggest number for the lowest number, and "bing"... you have the answer. But it ain't that simple. Trust me... brute wattage (or cheapest wattage for the money) will probably be the least of your concerns when it comes to application.

• Members

I have not seen one, other than on yorkville's site, but I think it is a good bet that the NX35 is a nice cabinet... intended to be a little less robust than the other one you mention.... but as regards that, I can not find a NX55, other than the NX55P, which is a powered cabinet, meaning that it has an amp inside and is totally different from the passive NX 35? Unless I am missing something here.

Archived