Sub Rental for this weekend

• Members

Last weekend we played (rock/top40 cover) an quasi-outside gig (covered stage, open dance area, covered bar area) and our ES700P couldn't hang.

This weekend we are playing a large indoor gig and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try a different sub. This weeks gig will have between 200-400 people.

Option 1: rent a second ES/LS700P

pros: the entire PA will fit in my truck under the bed cover.

cons: we don't try anything new and when we go back to the quasi-outdoor gig we might still lack sub

Option 2: rent a LS800P

Pros: 1500 watts through an 18" which should produce that pound the check feel on the dance floor

Cons: at 31" tall the bed cover won't fit over the PA on my truck.

Mains are a pair of SRX715's powered at 1200watts with a bridged PLX2402 processed by a VSX26.

• Members

IMO, you'll be better off with 2 LS700P's than a single LS800P. You'll sacrifice a few Hz on the bottom, but you'll get better coverage as you can get the "power ally" effect with a pair and if the venue is wide, better overall coverage. Even clustered in the center, 2 of the 700's should be at least comparable to a single 800 (and not as obstructive). Obviously, a pair of the 800's would be the best.

I'd consider it a chance to see what a second, similar sub does for you setup. If it improves it, then get another LS700P. For the record, we use a pair of these for 90% of our gigs (100 - 250 folks typical) 100ish db about 20 ft back, pop/rock dance stuff. Nothing but compliments.

• Members

I think you'd be better off for several reasons to rent a 2nd LS700 first, vice a single LS800P.

1. You can stack them center cluster for about the same height as the LS800P.

2. Easier to handle size & weight-wise.

3. Simple to run the input signal from one to another, no change otherwise in your PA signal flow.

4. Approximately the same overall power. 2 LS700P is 1400 watts vice the LS800P 1500 watts. CONE area of the single 18" is 254.34 sq. in. vs. FOUR 10" at 311.4 total sq. in.

Yup, TWO LS800Ps would kick butt much better outdoors than 2 LS700Ps but the added size & weight & cost may be more of a tradeoff than you desire. IF you have them available, I'd try the USC1Ps paired for outdoors as they are fully horn loaded. ANd they are in an easier to handle package, maybe low enough for the covered truck bed ;>)

I have LS808 subs, they are very nice but I got them right before the powered versions came out (and the USC1s for that matter). They are a bear to handle through the back doors of the small venues we play. I'd love to have a couple LS700Ps for those places.

Boomerweps

• Members

Rental doesn't have the USC1P's yet.

Should I stack the 700's one on top of the other or side by side?

I'm all about the size and weight so 2xES700's for this weekend. Will probably buy one from the rental if everything goes well.

• Members

Last weekend we played (rock/top40 cover) an quasi-outside gig (covered stage, open dance area, covered bar area) and our ES700P couldn't hang.

This weekend we are playing a large indoor gig and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try a different sub. This weeks gig will have between 200-400 people.

Option 1: rent a second ES/LS700P

pros: the entire PA will fit in my truck under the bed cover.

cons: we don't try anything new and when we go back to the quasi-outdoor gig we might still lack sub

Option 2: rent a LS800P

Pros: 1500 watts through an 18" which should produce that pound the check feel on the dance floor

Cons: at 31" tall the bed cover won't fit over the PA on my truck.

Mains are a pair of SRX715's powered at 1200watts with a bridged PLX2402 processed by a VSX26.

Personally, I'd want two of the 800s/side minimum for that sized gig. I've used them before, powered and unpowered versions. So my thoughts would be, at least a pair of the 800's, or maybe four of the 700's, if that is an option.

• Members

Rental doesn't have the USC1P's yet.

Should I stack the 700's one on top of the other or side by side?

I'm all about the size and weight so 2xES700's for this weekend. Will probably buy one from the rental if everything goes well.

Side by side will certainly look and probably sound better. Also, because they are side by side (close coupled) you will be gaining an additionnal 3DBs (vs if you had one on each side of the stage). I'm sure you will notice an improvement with the second LS700P, especially close coupled. They might just barely cut it though for that amount of people... It is hard to beat the LS700P for size/weight considering their output capability. The NX720 would be cool to try out too. For good solid bass in this size venue though, 4 of either LS700P or NX720 (or two LS800Ps) would probably be best. The NX720s look intersting and should go deeper because of the bigger woofer but might not hit quite as hard. Thye are only 75lbs!... Let us know how the LS700Ps works out! Al

• Members

If you're gonna put them together, sit them on their sides and push together with the ports on the inside so they are close together. The "feet" of the subs will be on the outside. They couple pretty well this way.

• Members

Abzurd- thanks for the suggestion as I would have never thought about that.

drum - yes it would or even better MRX518's since they are 4 ohms and you can push them with a reasonably priced amp or PRX518's even.

Archived