Mackie SRM450's - HARSH??!!

• Members

I attended a friend's wedding on Saturday - the DJ had a pair of Mackie SRM450's up on sticks. That's it, no subs, no nothing else...

The bass is not bad for speakers w/12" woofers - though certainly not as full as my JBL EON15 G2's w/their 15" woofers... :p

But the high end coming out of the horns was SO incredibly harsh on some tunes when they cranked up the volume later on - I mean, I was all the way on the other side of the banquet room and it was STILL harsh to my ears. I can't imagine how it was for the folks sitting at the closest tables!

I just don't see the appeal of those SRM450's - seems like a lot of DJ's use 'em... are their ears numb to the grating, harsh sound coming out of them?! :confused::eek:

• Members

Yeah I've noticed that a lot of DJ's in those type situations set their EQ's from behind the speakers. Sounds good to their ears to crank the highs to harshness. Just sounds harsh to everbody else.

Les

Yah - truth is, on many songs (which were at lower volumes), they sounded crisp.

But on some tunes at higher volumes - they were just piercingly harsh. :cry:

• Members

Harsh like distorted/overdriven harsh or just annoying (too much highs) harsh? Last time I heard the 450s is when I went to see my brother's band and he had rented a pair along with some JBL sound factor? powered subs. One thing I noticed is every time he said a word with an S in it the S sound would really stick out which became annoying very quickly. Could have been the way the EQ was set up though... Al

• Members

I've heard the SRM 450's sound decent in lower volume situations but I've never heard them pushed that hard. Could be that they sound harsh when pushed, I don't really know.

If the volume was the same for the entire event then the harshness might could have been helped with a little EQ work with the speakers running at working volume. Sometimes what people EQ to sound good at lower volumes has a distinct "mid-scoop" sound when taken to higher volumes.

• Members

Personally I prefer a speaker that is capable of "harsh" as it's easier for me to eq that out than to put presence in where the speaker isn't capable of any. I don't even mind piezo tweeters, if they're properly balanced in the enclosure. I can always turn them down a little if need be. I guess I don't care much what I use if I can get it to work.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

Harsh like distorted/overdriven harsh or just annoying (too much highs) harsh?

Not overdriven/distorted, Al... just annoyingly pierce and sharp, just HARSH - there is no better word to describe it. :p:D

But again, at lower volumes they sounded fine, so maybe preacherman672's has a good point about EQing at lower volumes - it doesn't work the same at high volumes. :idea:

• Members

Not overdriven/distorted, Al... just annoyingly pierce and sharp, just HARSH - there is no better word to describe it.
:p:D

But again, at lower volumes they sounded fine, so maybe preacherman672's has a good point about EQing at lower volumes - it doesn't work the same at high volumes.
:idea:

That's how my brother's vocals sounded. The ''S''s kinda sounded nice for a few minutes...then they got annoying. So So So So Simply Stinkin' ANNOYING. I'm so happy he didn't have a song called ''She sells sea shells by the sea shore''. :mad::D

• Members

We have an army of 450's (about a dozen) that we send out for smaller gigs or fills, I've never liked the sound when I test them in the shop, very harsh, definitely in need of some serious EQ.... and I crank 'em (got to see if they are in good working order, right?!)

• Members

Idk... with some EQ they don't sound that bad... one DJ I am familiar with uses 4 of the SRM-450s on sticks at events with 600-1000 people events (like high school dances) and they don't sound that bad... I looked at his setup and he had an A&H DJ mixer at that time with some Technic Turntables hooked up to his computer which he was spinning from and the sound, both in the DJ booth and out in front of his speakers on the dance floor, sounded pretty amazing! It was lacking a little bass, but I thought the treble was pretty sweet... nice and crisp! And not harsh at all! Even when he cranked the system and played really accoustically demanding music! He was using some rack-mounted EQ's, but I couldn't tell what they were or how they were set...

Could be just my ears, but those speakers sounded pretty awesome! Would have been better with at least a set of good dual 18" subs poundin' out the beat, but it was "okay" bass... And in a room full of around 1000 people, he definately had to crank them! So I'm guessing he figured out the "sweet spot" on the EQ to make them sound amazing!

• Members

Any speaker can be made to sound really good or really bad depending on the skill and knowledge of the operator. I suspect that when sold into the DJ and lower end SR markets, they may suffer from operator challanges far in excess of the product limitations.

Archived