• Members

I green went it comes to live sound so bear with me please.....I'm looking to buy a cheap decent mixer with no less than 8 mic/line inputs...FX would be a plus but not a must.

What are the differences between analog, digital, and powered mixers?

On Sweetwaters website, those are the different categories for their mixers.

The analog mixers seem to be the cheapest, like the Yamaha MG series, with the powered mixers being more expensive and the digital more yet (even though that seems backwards to me).

In short, what makes a Yamaha EMX3125C "powered" and what are it's applications as apposed to the Yahama MG1614.

• Members

Analog mixers are just that...analog. They have individual channel strips, and everthing is done with knobs/faders.

Digital mixers have a computer at the heart of them. There may only be a few faders or knobs to control many different functions. There may be a screen on the unit to view the different layers of functions. Unless you are computer-savy and you enjoy learning new things (and are a quick learner) a digital mixer is likely to be overkill and frustrating, especially for a newbie.

Not the most precise/technical explanation, but I'm trying to keep it brief and simple.

As for powered/unpowered - Powered mixers have a built-in amplifier. You can use a powered mixer (such as the EMX312 that you mentioned) to power a pair of speakers. An unpowered mixer such as the MG1614 will require a seperate power amp to drive the speakers. There are pros and cons to either route.

A few things to consider about powered mixers:

- Compact. No need to carry a separate amp.

- Easy to hook up. Plug in your mics/inputs and hook up the speakers.

- The internal amps on powered mixers usually aren't sufficient enough to power anything more than a couple speakers on sticks and maybe a couple floor monitors. This is fine if you are just playing a small coffeehouse gig, or you don't need anything larger. If you are planning on needing more power, you should plan on an un-powered mixer and getting larger power amps that will suit your needs.

If you are looking for "cheap" small mixers, look at Behringer (musicians friend has a wide selection) or check eBay for used stuff. A used compact Mackie can be had cheaply, (such as a 1642 VLZ Pro) and if it's in good shape, it should still have plenty of life left in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-Pro-Mixer-1642-VLZ_W0QQitemZ110148742856QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41473QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, this is a quick, brief reply, but it may answer some questions. I'm sure other guys will chime in with additional help and voice different opinions. Feel free to ask more.

• Members

What are you looking to do with the gear (practice space, small gigs, the beginning of your journey to take over the audio world?). I ask because those answers will tell you/us a lot about the type and level of gear you should be looking at.

• Members

I would check out the PV series since it sounds like cost is a big factor. They are reliable, they work good, and there is a nice rebate offer right now. They won't set the world on fire, and they don't feel as nice, have the features, or are as responsive as an Allen & Heath, but they are solid. I think anything below a MixWiz the best buy is a Peavey.

• Members

Thanks for the help so far guys...and thanks for the explanations Jared, that helps a lot. Here's what my setup is going to be:

Dr. 880 drum machine, vocals, and electric guitar....I plan on doing the "one man band" thing for awhile. It'd be nice to have the options of adding a guitar player or vocalist when needed as well.

So this is obviously nothing that's overly complicated as far as my needs go :)

• Members

Behringer on Craigslist. You can find a lot of these in the $150 to $200 range: http://www.behringer.com/UB2222FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

They are at least as reliable as Mackie and dead quiet. I've had bad luck with Mackie (personally experienced three gig failures) but the only problem I've heard of with Behringer mixers from any personal aquaintence in one guy had an effects section that would come on or off on it's own. He just turned the effects volume down and the problem was solved (since he never used the effects anyway).

The nice thing about the Behringer is that it is so cheap you can try it out and then, if you feel the need to step up, you know what you want. You know what you had that you never used, and what you didn't have that you wished you did. You then sell the cheap one on Craigslist for close to what you bought it for, and get an expensive one that you really want.

OTOH, the cheapie may be all you ever need. It just may surprise you.

BTW, the thing I love best about Behringer is that they are not at all stingy with their documentation. You can get a PDF from their website on pretty much any documentation (including owners manuals) on just about anything they have ever made.

However, they are dirty rotten bottom feeding scum sucking design rip-off artists!

I still like their stuff though.

• CMS Author

Behringer on Craigslist. You can find a lot of these in the $150 to $200 range:
http://www.behringer.com/UB2222FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

They are at least as reliable as Mackie and dead quiet. I've had bad luck with Mackie (personally experienced three gig failures) but the only problem I've heard of with Behringer mixers from any personal aquaintence in one guy had an effects section that would come on or off on it's own. He just turned the effects volume down and the problem was solved (since he never used the effects anyway).

The nice thing about the Behringer is that it is so cheap you can try it out and then, if you feel the need to step up, you know what you want. You know what you had that you never used, and what you didn't have that you wished you did. You then sell the cheap one on Craigslist for close to what you bought it for, and get an expensive one that you really want.

OTOH, the cheapie may be all you ever need. It just may surprise you.

BTW, the thing I love best about Behringer is that they are not at all stingy with their documentation. You can get a PDF from their website on pretty much any documentation (including owners manuals) on just about anything they have ever made.

However, they are dirty rotten bottom feeding scum sucking design rip-off artists!

I still like their stuff though.

Most manufacturers' websites provide manuals and other documentation.

What moron pays almost full price for a used *anything*, let alone Behringer, on Craigslist?

• Members

Most manufacturers' websites provide manuals and other documentation.

Actually, I've tried to find manuals on a large quantity of brands on the internet, to no avail. And sometimes, although it is there, it is VERY difficult to find. Behringer is a SNAP. I have seen no site that compares.

The one that is a real oddity is Carvin. I checked out their bass stuff a couple months ago and I could only find a one liner about the amp and a price. Yet they only sell mail order so the ONLY place to get info is their web site. Well, that and catalogues.

Look at this at Carvin: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=s16

A few sentences and a quick list of specs. That's it.

The manual is available, and you can get there from this page, but it's hard to find.

Now look at this from Behringer: http://www.behringer.com/2222FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

Look at the "downloads" section.

There is the full users manual in PDF format at your fingertips, not to mention, spec sheets, etc.

• Members

What moron pays almost full price for a used *anything*, let alone Behringer, on Craigslist?

Since I typically see the item in question on Craigslist for ~$160 and the "discount" mail order price new is ~$280, I would not call that "almost full price".

• Members

Used a mackie VLZ 24:4 for almost 4 years (and still using) and its performed well. We used a VLZ 1642 (i think) in another band, years ago, and it worked well. I personally cant say we have ever had a problem with our mackie mixers.

No, I don't think they are the best sounding stuff out there, but not the worst. In our case it was a step up from what we had, and we purchased it for the right price. Soon we are looking to retire it....but it's been a good board FWIW.

On another note, we started out with an old B-ranger board, rackmout kind with like 8 xlr's and the rest stereo inputs. Not the greatest sounding board now that I look back, but at the time it worked and we got it dirt cheap. It was dropped, banged around and even got beer spilled on it. To this day I can fire it up and it still works.

I would say dont be afraid to look at some compact stuff from mackie or even B-ranger, maybe even some good used ones. Just be aware of the pros and cons.

• Members

Actually, I've tried to find manuals on a large quantity of brands on the internet, to no avail. And sometimes, although it is there, it is VERY difficult to find. Behringer is a SNAP. I have seen no site that compares.

I just bought a mix-wix 3 for 780 from M.F and already own a soundcraft k1. I have easily found a very well written and comprehensive manual on line for both of them.

• Members

I just bought a mix-wix 3 for 780 from M.F......

I'm assuming you bought a 'blem' unit. What kind of 'minor cosmetic problem' did it have? Did you get a full warranty? Did it come in an original A&H box?Would you do it again? Thanks.

• Members

Actually, I've tried to find manuals on a large quantity of brands on the internet, to no avail. t.

try this

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/00512520.pdf for the manual.

or you can go here for addendum and video manuals

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116194/number/00512520/cat/310/begin/1/32FX%3F.cfm

There's rebates from $160 to $240 on these mixers for the next month too!

• Members

I just bought a mix-wix 3 for 780 from M.F and already own a soundcraft k1. I have easily found a very well written and comprehensive manual on line for both of them.

There are plenty of brands that offer the info. I bought my Crown Micro-tech 1200 for my bass on Craigslist and was able to get the manual from Crown.

That said, there are plenty of brands that DON'T offer the infor. Also, I have never seen one quite as easy as Behringer. I can find an item on Craigslist and, literally, within a minute be looking at the specs or manual. Most (but not all) places that DO have manuals don't make it that easy.

But I concede that Behringer is not the only one that offers this info online. But come to think of it, I never said that.

• CMS Author

Since I typically see the item in question on Craigslist for ~$160 and the "discount" mail order price new is ~$280, I would not call that "almost full price".

Then why did you write, "You then sell the cheap one on Craigslist for close to what you bought it for,"?? Just wondering why it is that people pay such high prices for used stuff (and usually that they can't see/touch/try).

• CMS Author

The one that is a real oddity is Carvin. I checked out their bass stuff a couple months ago and I could only find a one liner about the amp and a price. Yet they only sell mail order so the ONLY place to get info is their web site. Well, that and catalogues.

Look at this at Carvin:
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=s16

A few sentences and a quick list of specs. That's it.

The manual is available, and you can get there from this page, but it's hard to find.

Now look at this from Behringer:
http://www.behringer.com/2222FX/index.cfm?lang=eng

Look at the "downloads" section.

There is the full users manual in PDF format at your fingertips, not to mention, spec sheets, etc.

I've easily downloaded manuals for Peavey, Yamaha, Crown, dbx, JBL (in addition to a bunch of really useful white papers and general info sheets), Ampeg, Fender to name a few off the top of my head. I agree about Carvin; they are vague and 'markety' with spec info, which is just an insult to the buyer's intelligence when there are no other way of obtaining product info.

• Members

Then why did you write,
"You then sell the cheap one on Craigslist for close to what you bought it for,"??
Just wondering why it is that people pay such high prices for used stuff (and usually that they can't see/touch/try).

Because you bought it cheap and can often sell it for the same price and it is still cheap. Heck, you can even take ten bucks off and still have gotten a great deal.

I bought a 4x10 cabinet and did some cosmetic work on it, used it for a few months and sold it for more than I paid (I replaced it with a neo cabinet for my backs sake). It covered the cost of the work and a wee bit more.

Frankly, it's fun.

• Members

I've easily downloaded manuals for Peavey, Yamaha, Crown, dbx, JBL (in addition to a bunch of really useful white papers and general info sheets), Ampeg, Fender to name a few off the top of my head. I agree about Carvin; they are vague and 'markety' with spec info, which is just an insult to the buyer's intelligence when there are no other way of obtaining product info.

+1

I think they are all getting better too.

• CMS Author

Because you bought it cheap and can often sell it for the same price and it is still cheap. Heck, you can even take ten bucks off and still have gotten a great deal.

I bought a 4x10 cabinet and did some cosmetic work on it, used it for a few months and sold it for more than I paid (I replaced it with a neo cabinet for my backs sake). It covered the cost of the work and a wee bit more.

Frankly, it's fun.

Oh, it's great fun to sell for more than you paid...some would go as far as calling it "business":D But I see folks (morons) paying close to new retail price for used items on eBay, Craigslist, etc.....and gotta wonder what's up with that. You haven't seen the item, don't know the seller, have to pay and wait for shipping, and you got into a 'bidding' war for the privilege. Hmmmmm........

I was raised on the principle of never paying more than half the retail price for anything used...

• Members

Oh, it's great fun to sell for more than you paid...some would go as far as calling it "business":D But I see folks (morons) paying close to new retail price for used items on eBay, Craigslist, etc.....and gotta wonder what's up with that. You haven't seen the item, don't know the seller, have to pay and wait for shipping, and you got into a 'bidding' war for the privilege. Hmmmmm........

I was raised on the principle of never paying more than half the retail price for anything used...

Yeah, that is what I heard when I was a kid too. When I bought my Scion xBox, the new price was $14,500 I believe. Or I could get a used one for $13,900.

I went for new.

The problem is that you can believe in phrases like that all you want and try to live by them, but in the long run it applies differently to different things. Can you imagine paying half price for a less than six month old Eden 4x10? Thanks to Ebay and Craigslist, there is definitely someone that will pay more than half price. Heck, I paid $270 for a used Avatar Neo 2x12 with tolex covering. It was as good as new (and only a couple months old) and I paid way over half price. It was still a much better deal than new.

Meanwhile, I also bought an old roto-tiller for $50. That's $20 less than a one day rental. I can throw it away now - or sell it on Craigslist for $50. ;)

Archived