Hillbilly Engineering Examples

• Members

Every once in a while I come across something out in the field that is... shall we say... imaginative. Here's something that a customer was proud of, they saved a few bucks by not buying the proper rack mounting but ended up costing themselves a couple hundred dollars by crushing the case and cracking a PCB. Gotta love it!

HillbillyRackMounting.jpg

• CMS Author

1/2"-13 grade 8 bolts...

So you finish your gig one night, and head out to the truck. But you notice some coolant on the ground beneath the front tires. Damn! Snapped head bolt!

Well, now all you need to do is open up that rack, and you've got your replacement head bolts ready to go.

• Members

Looks like the guy works in an industrial facility. :) We have tons of bolts like that that we picked up from scrap on old jobs. They come in handy sometimes. I don't think I'd try to use one (or eight) to hold down a wireless receiver, though. :D

• Members

If you have a PC MS paint will do it easy enough.

MS Paint can do it but it's horrendous.

I use photoshop to do all my resizing, but if you don't want to spend $600 on a program to change image sizes you can use a free program called GIMP, but I've never used it so I can't really comment on it.

In photobucket however, on the upload screen click the "options" link:

resize1.jpg

It'll take you to a screen that has this:

resize2.jpg

Click message board, or whatever you want it's maximum size to be, then save. When you upload images it'll automatically make them smaller if they're bigger than the image size you specified, which can take some time depending on your connection and the size of the image. It'll scale images down proportionally so it doesn't stretch or anything, and does it with a decent level of quality.

• Members

How did you scale the photo size down?

I used Photoshop 7.0, although almost any program would be able to resize a picture. In Photoshop, there's a menu function that lets you resize to whatever you want. You can do it by percentage (as I usually do... I think I shrunk your picture to 55% of its original size) by pixels, or by inches/centimeters.

There are other very capable photo editing programs out there that are free, such as Irfanview. Mogwix's option is probably one of the easiest, most painless ways, especially if you're going to be hosting the picture on photobucket anyway.

Archived