Power Supply/Conditioner for Amps!?!?!?

• Members

I've got 7 power amps that need power. I bought a Monster Cable MP Pro 2500 Rack Powercenter as seen here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Power-MP-PRO-2500-Rack-Power-Center?sku=182650

Tried a band out last night and it fried after about 5 or 6 songs. I plugged a $5 power strip up and that worked fine?!?!?!?!?

Trying to set things up right here. What would be the best product to use for this purpose? Maybe a couple of something?

Opening a club in a few weeks and really need to get something quick. Thanks a ton for any help.

• Members

Please search on power conditioners here on this forum and you will immediately discover why a power conditioner such as that is a terrible idea for a dynamic load such as amps. Aside from the problem of too much load (probably), you have dynamic and inductive issues that most power conditiioners do not do well with. We specifically do not recommend using power conditioners with any of the high powered amps we produce.

Plug your amps directly into the power sources and forget the power conditioner, it's not the magic box the marketing folks advertise it as.

• Members
AH, I currently have a power conditioner that I use for the convenience of turning on my mixer and EQ's without reaching behind the rack, but no amplifiers are connected to it. I assumed that it's only the high current loads that are problematic. Am I correct in this assumption, or am I still courting disaster?

• Members

AH
, I currently have a power conditioner that I use for the convenience of turning on my mixer and EQ's without reaching behind the rack, but no amplifiers are connected to it. I assumed that it's only the high current loads that are problematic. Am I correct in this assumption, or am I still courting disaster?

Correct.

• Members

So, not even power strips?

Generally it's not a great idea (especially for larger amps) because the circuit breakers and power switches aren't designed for such loads... almost all of the breakers are 15 amps so even if you are using the more common 20 amp branch circuits, your power strip breaker is a limiting factor. The switches do not have spark killer snubbers installed, and when switching on or off a large power amp or multiple small power amps, the contacts can weld shut or arc and smoke.

Biger touring systems don't use power strips at all for amp distro.

• CMS Author

So....what do they use?

Seems if I just add wall outlets I'm doing the same as using a power strip.....other than the 15 amp breaker.

They run cables from the distro to quad boxes and direct to larger loads.

Power strips without switches or breakers are fine. Use the metal ones that have 'real' receptacles.

• Members

So....what do they use?

Seems if I just add wall outlets I'm doing the same as using a power strip.....other than the 15 amp breaker.

and the 15 amp breaker (and switch) are big problems. Also, the receptacles are pretty cheesy as Craig mentions.

Usually, NEMA 5-15/20 recepts in metal or thermo-rubberized boxes and strain reliefs, or for touring racks there are purpose-made distro panels.

• Members

Power strips are made for when you have too many lamps of TVs or something to plug in. Most TVs are like 600w, a light bulb 60w... Plugging in a bunch of amplifiers rated at 1kw+ isn't really a good idea. You'd be better off using a bell box and installing commercial grade receptacles(preferably 20a /w 15a slot).

Archived