downsizing suggestions please

• Members

Our 4 piece loud prog rock band guitar/keys/bass/drums/vocals is downsizing our PA. We seldom need it and it is an old school huge beast. We're keeping our mackie 24 mixer and leaving the rest at home. 90% of our shows have house PAs. Keys go direct bass utilizes a d-out everything else is mic.'d. Actually we didn't need a pa once in 2007. But next year is different.

Our drummer is a gear geek and a good judge of equipment. He/we were considering mackie 450s and powered mackie subs. Then he went to mackie 1530zs without subs. We visited the mackie forum and they suggest the 450/sub combo BUT the forum also shows 450 problems with the high frequency horns.

AND/SO

Carvin has active 3 ways and subs.

Samson Ditto

B52,JBL Ditto

ditto everyone else

I'm looking for a good easy to haul and set up PA to use a few times a year in gin joints for 50-100 people. Drummer wants to be Pink-Yes-Report for the local corner bar crowd. I've always felt that if you play a place where you are required to bring your own PA, you're expected to give them your best effort. WITHIN REASON.

What are you guys using? What do you suggest. What has a high failure rate? What sound like cr*p? What's good?

Just starting the search. We can always lug the beast.

• Members

Stay away from Mackie. I personally love JBL MRX/PRX stuff. Yorkvilles have a great rep around here but I have never seen or heard them. Technology is great. You can pick up a great sounding system that is loud and much lighter to move around. I do suggest sticking with subs if you are going to be micing the kick and sending the bass through the PA. That being said, stick with a pair of single 18" subs and pick up tops with a 12" driver. They will be lighter and the 12" will not muddy up the mids like most 15" tops.

We use JBL PRX512s over MRX518s. This is a very portable and great sounding system for up to around 300 people. Yorkville's also have similiar systems and are highly respected here. Also look at the Peavey stuff.

I guess it comes down to your budget. How much are you willing to spend?

• Members

You might just want to rent in a system w/ tech for those few events a year... way less hassle.

yep, and way less risk as well, in so far as if you where to buy new, I bet you would lose so much on depreseation that rent is better off anyway,

PS say not to mackie 450s SERIOUS thermal issues.

• Members

I no longer own any Mackie speakers but I did have a 1501 sub and 4 -450s. The only time I had any thermal problems was when I had a speaker in the sun outside. The 1501 needed to be repaired once and was a easy fix. I owned the speakers for 6 years and played probably 350 -400 nights. I have heard reports of problems with the newer chinese models but the older Italian and American made were real reliable for me.

• Members

Our 4 piece loud prog rock band guitar/keys/bass/drums/vocals is downsizing our PA. We seldom need it and it is an old school huge beast. We're keeping our mackie 24 mixer and leaving the rest at home. 90% of our shows have house PAs. Keys go direct bass utilizes a d-out everything else is mic.'d. Actually we didn't need a pa once in 2007. But next year is different.

Our drummer is a gear geek and a good judge of equipment. He/we were considering mackie 450s and powered mackie subs. Then he went to mackie 1530zs without subs. We visited the mackie forum and they suggest the 450/sub combo BUT the forum also shows 450 problems with the high frequency horns.

AND/SO

Carvin has active 3 ways and subs.

Samson Ditto

B52,JBL Ditto

ditto everyone else

I'm looking for a good easy to haul and set up PA to use a few times a year in gin joints for 50-100 people. Drummer wants to be Pink-Yes-Report for the local corner bar crowd. I've always felt that if you play a place where you are required to bring your own PA, you're expected to give them your best effort. WITHIN REASON.

What are you guys using? What do you suggest. What has a high failure rate? What sound like cr*p? What's good?

Just starting the search. We can always lug the beast.

2-NX55P and a LS700P and your mixer and x-over and you got yourself a portable system that sounds good. And don't let the dual 10's fool you in the LS700P they pack a good tight punch just like if Mike Tyson just bitch slapped you. The NX55P and LS700P or active the NX55P are 12" drivers with built in limiters, and the LS700P has dual 10's which I believe has a limiter as well. You do however wanna run a x-over to keep the mud out of the NX55P this great small club system that portable light to carry and takes no time to dail in a great sound with a good EQ.

Archived