Alesis Multimix for live use?

• Members

FYI..........I had reliabilty problems with a Multimix 12FX. Back for repair 3 times in under 2 years. (Alesis fixed it under warranty all 3 times) Finally dumped it for a Mackie.

It seems like I might have read that about the MultiMix boards.

• Members

I haven't had any problems. I've only used my Multimix16 firewire as a live mixing board on rare occasions. (Had it mounted in a case with a power head suitable for running my small public address system.) Normally don't use it for anything besides recording.

I don't like it's lack of a graphic EQ. (My other two mixers both have that built in.) Don't think it would be happy in marginal feedback situations.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I use it all the time since 2005. No prob whatsoever.I like that the built in effects sound a bit like their Nanoverb effects unit...though the Nanoverb produced higher quality reverbs. Contrary to what most people think....the Multimix's built in effects are NOT 'Nanoverb built into the Mixer'.

• Members

I haven't had any problems. I've only used my Multimix16 firewire as a live mixing board on rare occasions. (Had it mounted in a case with a power head suitable for running my small public address system.) Normally don't use it for anything besides recording.

I don't like it's lack of a graphic EQ. (My other two mixers both have that built in.) Don't think it would be happy in marginal feedback situations.

Does this board give you 8-16 tracks to a DAW or is it just a stereo pair out?

Thanks;

Dookietwo

• Members

It seems like I might have read that about the MultiMix boards.

I remember seeing that, too. IIRC, most of the issues were concerning the effects section. I was shopping for a small board last year, and decided to go with a Yamaha instead of the Alesis, mainly because of the issues I"d read about.

• Members

Got an update to that. I do use it on occasion. I have since bought a MixWiz 16:2 and am very happy with it. I use the Alesis as a recording device attached to the MixWiz. The Alesis Multi-mix 16 isn't a very flat responding mixer. Tends to be fat in the mid-range. It is fine for situations that have a separate EQ to flatten the frequency response. I've provided sound for a semi-annual conference. Basically setting up three complete PA systems. I use the Alesis there because I don't have extra mixers. It's been stable and solid and very suitable for speech reproduction.

• Members

Does this board give you 8-16 tracks to a DAW or is it just a stereo pair out?

Thanks;

Dookietwo

8 full mic channels and 4 stereo channels that Cubase can assign to up to 18 separate channels. (With two of them being the left and right main outs.) There are only two returns to the board. I've used the returns for monitoring the end mixes.

• Members

Got an update to that. I do use it on occasion. I have since bought a MixWiz 16:2 and am very happy with it. I use the Alesis as a recording device attached to the MixWiz. The Alesis Multi-mix 16 isn't a very flat responding mixer. Tends to be fat in the mid-range. It is fine for situations that have a separate EQ to flatten the frequency response. I've provided sound for a semi-annual conference. Basically setting up three complete PA systems. I use the Alesis there because I don't have extra mixers. It's been stable and solid and very suitable for speech reproduction.

Which other Mixer did you compare with to reach that conclusion?

• Members

8 full mic channels and 4 stereo channels that Cubase can assign to up to 18 separate channels. (With two of them being the left and right main outs.) There are only two returns to the board. I've used the returns for monitoring the end mixes.

Thank you.

Doug

• Members

The Alesis Multi-mix 16 isn't a very flat responding mixer. Tends to be fat in the mid-range. It is fine for situations that have a separate EQ to flatten the frequency response.

I suspect that you are hearing something elsewhere other than the frequency response of the mixer. I just measured a customer unit that's in here for service and it's flat +/- 1dB across the audio band. Maybe yours is broken? Maybe you are hearing something that's not there?

• Members

I suspect that you are hearing something elsewhere other than the frequency response of the mixer. I just measured a customer unit that's in here for service and it's flat +/- 1dB across the audio band. Maybe yours is broken? Maybe you are hearing something that's not there?

Thta's why I asked how WnyyD got to that conclusion. Mine sounded fine.

• Members

I hadn't run it through my RTA, but I could do that. (You've got my curiosity going now.) I doubt that I would bring it instead of the MixWiz. In smaller clubs we only use 7 channels. But my MixWiz rack also has the monitor amp, DRPX, Compressor, and three wireless receivers.

• Members

I used a scope and my HP-339 and swept from ~25-20kHz and it was essentially flat. RTA's have a very wide "flat" aperature that can appear to be anything but flat. That's fine with speaker analysis but for electronic analysis we use real analyzers.

That's good to know about this wonderful Mixer!

Archived