Monster cable vs a coat hanger

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as an amp goes is 8 0hms less than 4 or More than 4 ? What is the correct wording?

Regardless of the qualifier, 8 ohms resistance is more resistance than 4 ohms resistance. Generally speaking, 8 ohms offers twice as much resistance as 4 ohms, therefore 4 ohms will pass more current at the same voltage potential, therefore the current 4 ohms will pass will be more than 8 ohms, and since volts times amperage (current) is wattage, and wattage is a work vector, 4 ohms has the capabiltiy to allow an amplifier to generally WORK harder than 8 ohms.

BTW: Volts and amps are each/both scalars (magnitude without direction).

• Members
well, he asked for big
:D

That's what I was looking for.

Maybe it's somewhere here in the Icons, but my eyes aren't so good... along with my ears... and my sense of smell, and balance, and ability to feed myself without making a mess... and all sorts of things that don't seem to work like they used to. Gettin old sucks.

• Members

What I am trying to say is I feel the amp had to be loaded down to deliver the same spl down 1500 feet of wire. Or there was a 4 0hm speaker down the electric fence and an 8 ohm close by. ?

8 ohm and 1/4 ohm load on an amp would be less than 1/4 ohm total.

Two 8's give you 4 ohm load.

Two 4's give you 2.

An 8 plus a 1/4 would be less than 1/4 ohm total.

I not 100% sure "less" is the correct word.??

As far as an amp goes is 8 0hms less than 4 or More than 4 ? What is the correct wording?

Thanks

Dookietwo

What you're talking about is wiring two speakers in parallel - in that case, yes, wiring two 8 ohm loads in parallel will result in a load of 4 ohms. However, if those loads are wired in series (which would be the case in Mark's fence wire example), the total load is the sum of the individual loads. i.e. two 8 ohm loads wired in series gives you a total of 16 ohms.

-Dan.

• Members
I did petition admin to move him back to the main menu. As you can see, I wield great powers with HC.
:rolleyes:

uh... well... I'll call for a vote... here's my 10 top picks ranked in order of usefulness:

1) :)
2) :confused:
3) :D
4) :freak:
5) :thu:
6) ;)
7) :rolleyes:
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?

? for 8,9, & 10 because I don't have preferences. Any one is about as good as another.

• CMS Author

uh... well... I'll call for a vote... here's my 10 top picks ranked in order of usefulness:

1)
:)
2)
:confused:
3)
4)
:freak:
5)
:thu:
6)
;)
7)
:rolleyes:
8) ?

9) ?

10) ?

? for 8,9, & 10 because I don't have preferences. Any one is about as good as another.

If everyone here except me sends a PM to admin regarding this, perhaps you can effect some change here in HCLS land....some might call it a "movement". Yeah, that's it, the "Harmony Central Common Sense in Smilies" movement. HCCSS for short. Has a nice ring to it.....:rolleyes:

Archived