Comments on this setup

• Members

Hello all,

I'm a new member and this is a proposed setup for an upcoming outdoor gig. This is all equipment that I or other band members already own. I've never set this up in this configuration before, and I'm looking for any "uh-oh" or "WTF!" things anyone may see. I'm using the Aux 1 &2 and Eff. 1 & 2 sends to achieve 4 seperate monitor mixes. I've never used the compressors on the vocal inserts and I have rarely used the subs.

Equip. list: Behr. SL3242FXPro mixer

DBX DriveRack PA

Tapco 2 Ch. 15band Graph EQ used on Monitor

Alesis 3630 comp. X2

Crown MicroTech 1200 bridged mono for Subs

Crown XLS402 Stereo operation

Hafler 300 (stereo) for hotspot monitors or

Bose Mod 900( I think) amp for hotspots. Prolly

use the Hafler tho.

Traynor 100 amp for drum monitor

Homemade 12" wedge for Drum Monitor

JBL EON 15" powered encl. X4 used as mains

JBL EON 10" powered encl. X2 for monitors

4 passive HotSpots using 2 for monitors

JBL JRX115 X2 for mains

JBL JRX118 X2 for subs

The Band: 5 piece rock and roll, blues, funk

Piano/Organ, Lead vocal on 1/4 of songs (Me)

Harmonica, Lead vocal on 1/2 songs

Bass, Lead vocal on1/4 of songs

Guitar, backing vocals

Drums.

I gotta go for now, I hope this gives you enuff to info.

Thanks,

PJ

P.S I guess this is important! This gig is outside in the street between 2 2 story buildings, about 60' between them for guestimate 300 people. ( I know its not enuff, I may be able to add more power and speakers)

• Members

unfortunately your first pic is to small to read...

but some thoughts.

what are you using for the main.... by my reconing, it is 2 eons, and 1 JRX per side.

I suggest you stick with the same model, .. so ONLY use the 15 inch eons for the mains.

with aux 1 and 2, .. you will have *2* separate monitor mixes, .. though my have more then 1 speaker on a mix, .. this is 2 mixes.

That comp sucks, ... consider leaving it at home, .. it may do more harm then good.

consider the 15 band EQ on teh FOH , rathe rthen monitors.

• Members

I agree. Dump the comp and try to find a couple of 31 band EQs for monitors. The difference between 15 band and 31 band is amazing, especially when ringing monitors.

The system isn't great but it's workable. The JRX subs are limited but work. The Driverack is all you need at FOH for EQ and crossover.

If I were to change anything I'd dump the mixer for something that sounds better and upgrade to MRX subs. I think 4 EON 15s would be enough for the tops. That would probably match pretty well with the JRX subs. I wouldn't use the 115s and EONs for FOH. Stick with one or the other. Having all those speakers might look cool but it probably won't sound as good as you would like it to.

• Members

Your effects send 1 & 2 are post fader and will create quite a challange for you to achieve any useable monitor mix. The levels will be all over the place, varying with the channel faders. The aux 1 + 2 monitor busses are pre fader and will not vary with fader position.

• Members

Thank you for your input guys! Sorry about the first image I had to compress it in order to upload and the program compressed it too much.

I'm hoping to test run the setup before the actual job, playing with speaker placement, just to get an idea of what makes a diference.

I wasn't too keen on the compressor anyways, my whole reason for it was to get control of one singers poor mic technique, try to keeps his dynamics under control.

Agedhorse, you are right of course that the Effects send is post fader. I have set it up this way before and I do have to pay close attention to how I set it. Since we rarely put more than the vocals and a small amount of piano to the monitors it hasn't been too bad and has really helped to keep the stage volume reasonable. Having said that tho I am looking for a better solution.

Once again thanks,

PJ

Archived