Does Audiopile have a return policy?

• Members

I ordered an 8U shock rack 18.25" depth case from Audiopile last week or so, thinking, "Bah I'm young and strong, I can carry it!!:mad:"

Well I was wrong :o The case with just my power amp weighs over 100lbs... so I'm downsizing both the case and the amp. I want to exchange the 8U shock rack with a 6U regular rack. I tried emailing them the day I got it ( Tuesday ) but didn't get any response since last Tuesday. Do they have a return policy or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

• Members
I ordered an 8U shock rack 18.25" depth case from Audiopile last week or so, thinking, "Bah I'm young and strong, I can carry it!!:mad:"

Well I was wrong
:o
The case with just my power amp weighs over 100lbs... so I'm downsizing both the case and the amp. I want to exchange the 8U shock rack with a 6U regular rack. I tried emailing them the day I got it ( Tuesday ) but didn't get any response since last Tuesday. Do they have a return policy or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

Wasn't the weight of it listed in the info? Or is it heavier than the stated weight?

• Members

The weight was listed with the standard information. I overestimated my own capability ( and I underestimated the size of the thing! ) In short, its an error of inexperience on my part, not by any means Audiopile's fault.

• Members

I want to exchange the 8U shock rack with a 6U regular rack. I tried emailing them the day I got it ( Tuesday ) but didn't get any response since last Tuesday. Do they have a return policy or am I just out of luck?

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I don't believe we've received your e-mail yet, but I'll check.

We do have a return policy: "We will generally take the item in on trade or issue a credit less typically a 10% restocking fee if the item is returned in the condition it was received. Return authorization is required."

W. Mark Hellinger

President

Audiopile

509-287-2020

• Members

I feel your pain, my 8U is 136 pounds. I can't wait for my amps to die so I have a good excuse to go to light weight amps. They're Mackie 1400's so I shouldn't have to wait too long :)

Even so, with light weight amps the rack will still weigh over 100 pounds.

Have you thought about wheels?

• Members

Sadly, the reason I stick with the plastic racks. I have to be able to handle, by myself, my racks. So each MUST stay under 100# loaded or I cannot set them down gently for the installed gear. Right now I'm using a 10 & a 12RU case. The 12RU had to be replaced from cracking and I now have to baby it. Yeah, PLX are a MUST.

Boomerweps

• Members

Plastic racks do not offer adequate protection for most equipment IMO. If weight is enough of a reason to buy a plastic rack, then the approach needs to look at the big picture. We use wheels on everything, along with light weigt amps. We also use 8 space racks for amps, and build everything in modules, so 1 rack drives 4 line arrays and 2 subs. We have 4 racks, we use as many racks as necessary to power the speakers we are using. The monitor system uses 16 space racks, but we always have 2 or more guys when the monitor system is being used regardless of the application. Usually we have 2 guys, but sometimes the main speakers and racks need to be located in a difficult location, so smaller is better there.

• Members

I can't wait for my amps to die so I have a good excuse to go to light weight amps. They're Mackie 1400's so I shouldn't have to wait too long
:)

I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you. I still have 4 1400's that are 10+ years old and still kicking.

• Members

Is it really worth returning it? That's quite alot of cash in shipping and restocking fee you'll be tossing out. Maybe just keep it around for future expansion or something.

The restocking fee will probably be somewhere around $17, (which doesn't quite cover my costs of the enevitable replacement of the shipping cartons). The return shipping costs for that case will probably be somewhere around $55 - $60.

I agree, the combined shipping and restocking fee is fairly significant. I would expect that the case could possibly be sold locally (Craig's list?) and recover most, if not all of the purchase price.

Sometimes it works out that there's somebody we know of who is in the market for a case that a customer wants to trade-in, so the trade-in case can be shipped directly to it's new home and the shipping costs are not sunk like they would be in shipping the case back to us and then shipping it to a new home... and Liz will do her best to find a hook-up like that.

• Members

The restocking fee will probably be somewhere around $17, (which doesn't quite cover my costs of the enevitable replacement of the shipping cartons). The return shipping costs for that case will probably be somewhere around $55 - $60.

I agree, the combined shipping and restocking fee is fairly significant. I would expect that the case could possibly be sold locally (Craig's list?) and recover most, if not all of the purchase price.

Sometimes it works out that there's somebody we know of who is in the market for a case that a customer wants to trade-in, so the trade-in case can be shipped directly to it's new home and the shipping costs are not sunk like they would be in shipping the case back to us and then shipping it to a new home... and Liz will do her best to find a hook-up like that.

That is a great suggestion! I will post it up on Craigslist, and if it doesn't sell in a week or two, would the return be acceptable? Or would that be too late?

Thanks!

• Members
That is a great suggestion! I will post it up on Craigslist, and if it doesn't sell in a week or two, would the return be acceptable? Or would that be too late?

Thanks!

Aren't you going to take it in the shorts paying shipping 2 ways, along with the restocking fee?

• Members

your not saving weight, .. just moving it around.

Actually, you're saving the weight of the empty rack. And sure I get that I'm moving it around. Bite size pieces that are managable is the point.

sigh.... I was half joking anyway

• Members

Actually, you're saving the weight of the empty rack. And sure I get that I'm moving it around. Bite size pieces that are managable is the point.

I agree with you, I went from 2 crown heavy amps, on a rack which I also had the mixer and EFX + the speakers, to powered speakers, and instead of heaving to carry the whole rack full of gear with the Crowns [CE2000's] being the heaviest. I only carry my 2 powered speakers, my mixer etc. A lot easier to carry, faster to set load and unload.....:thu:

• Members

I feel your pain, my 8U is 136 pounds. I can't wait for my amps to die so I have a good excuse to go to light weight amps. They're Mackie 1400's so I shouldn't have to wait too long
:)

Even so, with light weight amps the rack will still weigh over 100 pounds.

Have you thought about wheels?

This is exactly why I made an executive decision about a year ago, all my amps are in 4 unit racks (most of them are 3 or 4 units :rolleyes:). I take what I need for the occasion and stack them up, no lifting of more than one amp weight at a time (and they are still way to heavy). I have one 6 unit rack which holds all the eq's and crossovers (crossovers in the back) and the mixer in a case on the top. With a decent trolley it makes for a pretty easy load in/ out even though it's a probably an extra trip or two.

The trade off of course is setup time and plugging in heaps of cables, but I'm working on that.

• Members

Sorry to chime in, a phone call to whomever you're buying equipment from is the best route. When I have issues with a retail outlet I rarely air it out in a forum like this, this is best resolved via one on one contact. You bought the wrong item, speaking with an educated seller will usually help in resolving potential issues with an order (I always call in an order for this very reason vs. using an online form).

That said, you're stuck with a case you don't need/want. Craigslist is great for this and usually an educated buyer will be willing to pay the new price less shipping (I would if I was in the market for this case). It's very important to plan out not only what gear for what case but getting it to/from is the other half of the equation. Also the vehicle you choose to get it to/from is a factor. Sorry for the rant, just had to put my 2 cents in.

Archived