JBL vs. Peavey

• Members

I haven't used any of them personally. :) So I'd try to find a store that stocked all of them and try them out. That said, I admit to being a little biased toward Peavey products, in a good way. It's been my experience that they usually rate pretty high in the bang-for-the-buck category, and they're generally hard to kill.

• Members

You do know that the QW and Versarray subs are closer (though IMO not the same) to the SRX type product right? The comparison is somewhat skewed IMO.

I am aware of that. But they are a few hundred dollars cheaper that the SRX.

• Members

The VR218's are really intense subwoofers. They're heavy as hell and can take a LOT of power. If you want extremely high power, of the options, go with these. I have no idea how they sound but I know they'll destroy everything with pure volume.

The QW218's are heavy and have a nice response, but don't go as low as say Ev's QRx subs. I run a 40Hz HP filter on the subs usually anyhow so I guess this doesn't really matter. They weren't as smooth as I would've liked but they're definitely fantastic subwoofers for the money. The QW series altogether is well-built and sound very good.

The SRX subs are awesome too, but for the money the QW subs would be a better choice.

I haven't used the MRX subs but a lot here seem to enjoy JBL's MRX line of speakers.

SP218's are decent subs but they're more oriented towards rock bands who need a big PA for not that much money. They're decent subwoofers but extremely fantastic for the money, definitely worth the few bucks.

• Members

I do not have experience with Peavy subs, however I just got the QW4

( horn with two 15" drivers ) The QW series has a great durable cabinet which is a plus for durability if you're setting up and breaking down.

Surprisingly enough the little Active PR15's I use for smaller gigs.....well they are loud and sound pretty dam good...really good. Especially for the money. 90% of our gigs, the QW4's are going to be an overkill. In my case (portable PA) we had yamaha s215's and they were "okay" leading us to get the QW4's hearing them in the store.

If I could do it all over again I'd get Powered everything and run it with the DriveRack PX. Good luck on your journey....

http://www.firebrigaderocks.com

• Members

and you also need a Crown IT8000 to power 4 sub cabs.

So if you spend the money your still using a 150+ lbs cab.

I disagree.

Output versus weight is better by at least 3dB/lb. That's double the improvement for the math challanged. ;)

1/2-space for the Peavey VR218 is 41Hz (-3dB) at 200 lbs

The VRX-900 is 81 lbs. It's got a lot of LF output for a compact lightweight sub.

The bigger Vertecs are 151 lbs and 185 lbs but the -3dB power bandwidth is 29 and 25Hz respectively and and real sensitivity is more substantial in terms of real world output (factoring in the bandwidth) than the the other products. 800 watts per driver (1000 watts for the high excursion model) is a good power level as power compression reduces much of the gain above this power level anyway. It's the point of diminishing returns IMO. You do not NEED an I-Tech 8000 to get within 3dB of the maximum real world performance, and you will need real protection if you choose to power them at that level or you will find out just how expensive the recones are.

• Members

Two self powered VRX918 subs will cost less than $4000.00, two self powered RCF TT18's will probably be in the $5000 area. Either of these pairs of subs should rock your world and cost about the same as all these high dollar amps needed to power most of these dual 18 subs. Just a thought. What type of venues do you play in?

• Members

and you also need a Crown IT8000 to power 4 sub cabs.

So if you spend the money your still using a 150+ lbs cab.

I only need two dual cabs. I'm ordering 4 MRX512M's and 2 XTi2000's for the main speakers. The MRX528S sounds pretty smooth, which is important. I don't want it to sound distorted or 'rough.' I need smooth lows, but not anything muddy or boomy.

• CMS Author

I only need two dual cabs. I'm ordering 4 MRX512M's and 2 XTi2000's for the main speakers. The MRX528S sounds pretty smooth, which is important. I don't want it to sound distorted or 'rough.' I need smooth lows, but not anything muddy or boomy.

Every sub you've mentioned is a good value for it's price. If the MRX sound good to you, then that's what you should buy.

• CMS Author

The QW's say 1,600 watts continuous. Is that really their true RMS? If so, will they be ok on my XTi 4000 as long as it doesn't clip? (2 subs, stereo @ 1,200 watts/4ohms)

You can even clip the amp on kick drum hits with no problem. Some prefer the 'edge' that this gives the kick sound.

However I'd be careful with a 1600w continuous spec. 800w into a 4in voice coil. Hmmm.

That doesn't mean you should put 3200w into them....

• Members

You can even clip the amp on kick drum hits with no problem. Some prefer the 'edge' that this gives the kick sound.

However I'd be careful with a 1600w continuous spec. 800w into a 4in voice coil. Hmmm.

That doesn't mean you should put 3200w into them....

I'm not running it in bridge-mono, I'm running it in stereo.

• Members

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH%20MINI

You may not know the name but Danley is VERY respected for his designs. The linked sub is as small and good as gets within reason for less than concert applications. List is under $1300 each, street $ should be a bit better. You can put a pair of these in the back seat of your small car.

• Members

Every sub you've mentioned is a good value for it's price. If the MRX sound good to you, then that's what you should buy.

I want to make sure I get something good. I'm probably going to A/B them.

• Members

You may not know the name but Danley is VERY respected for his designs. The linked sub is as small and good as gets within reason for less than concert applications. List is under $1300 each, street $ should be a bit better. You can put a pair of these in the back seat of your small car.

I am familiar with Danley Sound Labs.

• CMS Author

I'm not running it in bridge-mono, I'm running it in stereo.

Understood; I wasn't mentioning amp specifics here....just what seems like a very optimistic spec on Peavey's part. Considering the zeal to dump 2x continuous ratings into speakers, I'm still surprised they spec it that way.

• Members

Understood; I wasn't mentioning amp specifics here....just what seems like a very optimistic spec on Peavey's part. Considering the zeal to dump 2x continuous ratings into speakers, I'm still surprised they spec it that way.

It does seem to be alot for that speaker. Since they are going to be powered the same way, I think I'll stick with the MRX.

• Members

The VRX918 is the same thing as an SRX718 with the only difference being that the VRX has fly track and the SRX does not.

I was speaking about the Vertec stuff and not the VRX stuff.

VerTec is way too much for me.

Archived