Ordered my new PA yesterday through MF

• Members

So I placed my order yesterday and should have everything this week. Here's what I'm getting:

-Soundcraft EFX 8 Mixer

-2 JBL PRX5123M Cabs

-Whirlwind IMP 2 Direct Box

-2 On Stage speaker stands

-2 30 foot XLR cables

-2 25 foot black extension cords (16 gauge)

-10 foot XLR cable

-15x15 Gator soft mixer bag

You can see what I already have in my signature. I'm pretty excited!

• Members
So I placed my order yesterday and should have everything this week. Here's what I'm getting:

-Soundcraft EFX 8 Mixer

-2 JBL PRX5123M Cabs

-Whirlwind IMP 2 Direct Box

-2 On Stage speaker stands

-2 30 foot XLR cables

-2 25 foot black extension cords (16 gauge)

-10 foot XLR cable

-15x15 Gator soft mixer bag

You can see what I already have in my signature. I'm pretty excited!

Hope you got some extra discounts for ordering that much stuff. Most places would.

• Members

Good choices. When you get a bit more scratch, buy yourself a monitor (another 512M is a great choice). You'll be amazed with how it improves your performance.

Yeah my next step is getting a monitor. I've played solo with just 2 mains and had them pointed toward me enough that I could hear what I'm doing. but I agree, having a dedicated monitor will do wonders. I'll probably get another PRX512 for that. I like to match things up.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm really loving my set-up. Once a week I play at a restaurant/brewery and I only use one of the JBL's and my mixer. It's a low volume gig and I position the cab just right, so its not in anyone's face but mine. Given that its low volume, I don't really have to worry about feedback much. I'm sitting near some big metalic brewing vats, and they put just a bit of a "ring" to the vocals, so I'm still working on EQing that out a bit. I got it a lot better this past Thursday though.

Then Friday morning, I got roped into setting up my PA for our command/Work picnic to play some background music. IT was kinda last minute, and since I had a gig afterwards, I already had it loaded in my SUV, so I agreed. I was really surprised at the sound these things put out. People were spread out over a large area, so I stretched each speaker to extreme left and right, and cranked them up as high on the stands as they would go and cranked them pretty decent, but not anything near max, and they sounded amazing.

Then the gig Friday night, I was extremely impress with my sound. It was outdoors and for maybe 50 people, so setting the sound on the mixer was pretty quick and simple. This is such a clear sound! I definitely need to buy a decent monitor though, I'm thinking about a spot monitor like the TC Helicon or Roland Cube, or maybe the Mackie SRM 150. Something powered with a built in EQ. Also, how much would it benefit me much to have a graphic EQ for my mains?

• Members

Congrats...You are a perfect example on how to do it. Way too many here get roped into a much cheaper and less reliable system because of the cost. There is NO WAY you would have been happy spending less on one of the cheapie systems available out there. When you buy a system you should have incredible confidence in it every time you turn it on. You have a system like that. It lets you concentrate on the performance without worrying about the system reliability. That makes a system like yours worth much more than what you paid for it.

• Members

Nice start. don't cheap out on your monitor. Try a PRX 12 inch or a QSC HPR 122i. I bought the QSC's because I was able to get them at a reasonable price and have been amazed by them everytime I plug them in. Then the sub...decisions decisions! LOL

• Members

... how much would it benefit me much to have a graphic EQ for my mains?

Adding EQ would allow you to "fine tune" the system if done properly or completely screw it up if done incorrectly.

Remember that your speakers will pretty much follow their published spec for frequency response plus or minus what a room will impart. If the room is small the effect will be more than if the room is larger (or outdoors). There is little you can actually do about a room without physically changing the room. So if you think the factory did a pretty good job of designing your speakers there should only be a small opportunity for any improvement.

IMHO graphic EQ's are overused and usually make the sound worse than better in 9 out of 10 times in FOH systems.

• CMS Author

It's fairly easy to not screw up EQ. A rule of thumb I try to follow is to not move more than a half dozen sliders, and never more than 3-4dB total, and never more than 3db from adjacent slider. Keeps phase disruptions and overall tone changes to a minimum.

If your EQ winds up looking like a profile of the Himalaya's, your sound is probably going to sound better if you depress the bypass switch.

Archived