Active Speakers vs. Power Amp and passive

• Members

See ... that's what you might think is safe .. but it is not. It might put out what they say when it's cold for the first 10 seconds then drop down to 20% of where it started.

If the unit has a UL sticker then it has gone through independent third party testing and has had to pass by holding it's 1/8th rating for 2 hours continuously without shutting down.

If you are gonna live by numbers you better darn well learn what those numbers mean.

There's an awful lot of big name manufacturers no longer getting agency certification on new products so nobody is watching the henhouse.

True enough. I am at a point where all the gear I have is plenty of power for what I want and the speakers are good and efficient enough to get the volume I want without straining them. I don't clip anything and I'm happy with the results.

I trust the gear that I have and have good brand names. The only thing I have that is behringer in my gear is a reverb that I don't trust and rarely use.

• Members

Dont forget. When you are looking to buy a P.A. it may seem great to go for cheap and "loud" but just like any big spend, its an investment. What are the chances you will be using this P.A. for years to come? Also, just a little more wattage wont necessarily give you that big sound you are looking for. A properly set up system can deliver a much stronger sound than junk with alot of power pumped to it. If you need a system soon, rent if you have to.

I'll be using it for years, but for probably two of those years a warranty can be had, and i'm just looking for something loud enough to be heard. I almost have that now with this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620-Plus-S710-PA-Package?sku=630486, so how can this not get me that? That is all I want people. I'll never use more than that. 90% of the use this will see is just band practice. Occasionally I might play for some people with it, and there is one place around that has no PA we play at occasionally.

• Members

I don't need thump though. Two vocalists and a keyboard occasionally is all the stuff will ever see.

If that's all they will be used for and reliability is not a big concern, then a pair of 212As should be fine for your needs. If ever you start doing bigger gigs and decide you want to invest more in a better quality system, they can always be used as monitors. Al

• Members

If that's all they will be used for and reliability is not a big concern, then a pair of 212As should be fine for your needs. If ever you start doing bigger gigs and decide you want to invest more in a better quality system, they can always be used as monitors. Al

Figured you would have suggested a Yorkville YX115P to start off with:confused: great for what the OP need IMO.:thu: but really man you should tell your guitarist to turn down and that's free plus you won't be pushing whatever you decide to buy so hard.:idea:

• Members

A pair of Tapco Thumps would be a superior choice IMHO.

If they weren't so SPL deficient and if the OP wasn't trying to get vocals over a loud backline.... yes.

From what I've read those Thumps seem to sound very good. What has your experience been with them? They seem voiced for pre-recorded material - their max SPL gives me the impression they may not do so well with live music however... I'm actually considering getting one- they have them new at 349$ canadian close to where I live. I love their look. Al

• Members

Figured you would have suggested a Yorkville YX115P to start off with:confused: great for what the OP need IMO.
:thu:
but really man you should tell your guitarist to turn down and that's free plus you won't be pushing whatever you decide to buy so hard.
:idea:

Yeah, you are absolutely correct, in MANY scenarios I would have recommended a YX15P as a better quality, better sounding all around choice. In all honesty though, in this situation, a pair of B212As would have a better chance of being heard over what appears to be some serious competition. :)

• Members

Figured you would have suggested a Yorkville YX115P to start off with:confused: great for what the OP need IMO.
:thu:
but really man you should tell your guitarist to turn down and that's free plus you won't be pushing whatever you decide to buy so hard.
:idea:

The guitarist could turn down all he wants, but the drummer can't. Not to mention that a non-cranked amp sounds terribly buzzy and weak.

Archived