Is this mike for sound reinforcement or recording?

• Members

Not many google hits on this Old mike: the EV PL77B. Please shed some light on this thing.

Its a condenser cardoid (phantom or battery powered), with a low frequency rolloff switch

But Is this considered a POS nowadays ??

(In the past Ive used it only for live vocals. Ide like to try some recording and amp miking with it. )

• Members

Mike? Come on man, one greg to another, it's "mic" short for "microphone". I believe that mic is primarily used for recording. There are different primary care abouts in live sound such as off-axis rejection, and Gain before feedback. I don't know how the PL77B would do, but i almost guarantee there are better choices in a live environment. In a recording environment, as long as you like the sound, go for it!

• Members

These are kind of an odd specialty mic in some ways. They were originally developed for live sound and contracting (contractor version would have been a 1777) but were also used for recording and broadcast. The PL-76 was on of my favorite mics from a sound perspective as was the BK-1... all of which were from the same family.

The only thing to beware of is that sometimes an internal battery will leak causing all kinds of grief and some folks used mercury batteries which is now a toxic mess. The battery is not needed if phantom power is available. Also, there is a FET in the impedance translator circuit inside the capsule and this can fail and get really noisy.

• Members

Thanks for pointing out the lingo Greg, and I admire your restraint for not going too hard on me *And* giving advise at the same time :thu:

I would prefer to save for a motorcycle.......instead of trying to upgrade mics. Oh well, although 20 years old, I do enjoy it -- Best to you at your end.

Greg

• Members

These are kind of an odd specialty mic in some ways. They were originally developed for live sound and contracting (contractor version would have been a 1777) but were also used for recording and broadcast. The PL-76 was on of my favorite mics from a sound perspective as was the BK-1... all of which were from the same family.

The only thing to beware of is that sometimes an internal battery willleak causing all kinds of grief and some folks used mercury batteries which is now a toxic mess. The battery is not needed if phantom power is available. Also, there is a FET in the impedance translator circuit inside the capsule and this can fail and get really noisy.

Are there any mods that may be available, some you may reccomend or others that you would not reccomend ?

Very much appreciate the precautions---going to archive this info for d*mn sure. Think this FET is available these days if it goes bad?--(assuming I can physically get to it with my soldering iron without too much difficulty offcourse first). Odd,.... the salesman said that it could be used live or studio---odd not that you said it, but odd that a saleperson didn't LIE just to make a sale. Sorry for the cynicism--your real kind to help me out. Actually, you made me feel better about it, and I feel like I may owe you a cold beverage....

• Members

I used to use a bunch of 'em for live sound ... I liked them.

I hope you have the one that phantom powers because the battery version uses a rare (expensive) battery.

btw ... you're a jerk about the "mike" thing (hey someone had to do it)

welcome to the board:thu:

• Members

I wouldn't "mod" them, don't know what a mod would try to accomplish anyway. It works good just the way it is.

The FET is available, but you need to know your way around compact hard to access circuitry. Not generally a DIY repair unless you have a background in electronics.

If the FET goes bad, it's really obvious. Not subtle in the least.

• Members

btw ... you're a jerk about the "mike" thing (hey someone had to do it)

:

hey,....I gotta admit, I have to fight against my Inner Gilligan.....almost every day.......you gotta try to cut me a little slack from time to time.....oh yah,.....just say "thats just another one of his little F ups....that's all." :)

Thank you--and regards on the projects you have going dboomer!

• Members

I wouldn't "mod" them, don't know what a mod would try to accomplish anyway. It works good just the way it is.

The FET is available, but you need to know your way around compact hard to access circuitry. Not generally a DIY repair unless you have a background in electronics.

If the FET goes bad, it's really obvious. Not subtle in the least.

its all good--and duly noted. I respect that there are some gifted people on these boards--gifted in electronics/etc. (not to mention the persistance and patience needed to tweak their inventions and mods)

I respect your insights well-- and the signs of symptoms of when this thing gets sick! Thank you AgedHorse. Its all well received

• Members

about that battery that uses a quirky wierd voltage that costs over 25 bucks at radio shack. 1.5 volt batteries will get it to work when in a pinch.

In a pinch yes ... but it cuts down on headroom in the mic.

• Members

The only thing to beware of is that sometimes an internal battery will leak causing all kinds of grief and some folks used mercury batteries which is now a toxic mess. The battery is not needed if phantom power is available. Also, there is a FET in the impedance translator circuit inside the capsule and this can fail and get really noisy.

... and you spare a spare cartage sitting on the shelf if you need one right?

• Members

I would prefer to save for a motorcycle.......instead of trying to upgrade mics.

Upgrade your mics. It's fun, you'll become addicted to microphones, and it won't kill you. The Motorcycle can easily kill you. A good friends little brother just got in a horrible motorcycle accident last week. The state he's in is absolutely gruesome. His life will never be normal again. He's only 21. My best friends dad just got in a motorcycle accident the day before yesterday. Although he's nowhere near dieing, he'll need multiple surgeries to fix all the torn connective tissue in his right shoulder. I personally knew alot of other people who have died in motorcycle accidents. Including an old guitar players father. I don't mean to sound like someones mother, but with the increase of cell phone use while driving, useless car gadgets, and A$$holes that just don't care about motorcycle riders, it's WAY to unsafe.

• Members

Upgrade your mics. It's fun, you'll become addicted to microphones, and it won't kill you. The Motorcycle will kill you. And honestly, if you don't die, you'll probably wish you were dead. A good friends little brother just got in a horrible motorcycle accident last week. The state he's in is absolutely gruesome. His life will never be normal again. He's only 21. My best friends dad just got in a motorcycle accident the day before yesterday. Although he's nowhere near dieing, he'll need multiple surgeries to fix all the torn connective tissue in his right shoulder. I personally knew alot of other people who have died in motorcycle accidents. Including an old guitar players father. I don't mean to sound like someones mother, but with the increase of cell phone use while driving, useless car gadgets, and A$$holes that just don't care about motorcycle riders, it's WAY to unsafe.

Oh my gosh....oh my gosh,,,, I don't know exactly what to say,, my heartfealt condolences go out to you , for a couple of reasons Ray. I don't know your or his religious or cultural influences, and please dont take offense, but i wanna pray that the good Lord and Jesus help to provide emotional and physical healing whereever that may occur. ummmm, Ive kind of messed up (with drugs) in the past, and Jesus helped me straighten my Life out. So I pray things get better.

I deeply have heartfelt appreciation for your level head in this reply. Its kind of like a voice of common sense that that needs to heard from time to time to time--because the emotions and frenzy and rush of a motorcylcle does have its consequences, ironically, which which my desires (in a blind sense of passion and feeling) never ever understands. Up until very recently, I've been content with trail riding my dirt bike--because a tree can never get distracted like a soccer mom on her cell phone......... And, I do have a fair amount to lose since i gotta feed 6 people at home now. You are right---so right. There was a proverb somewhere about about a man should guard against his passions at times (paraphrased). I got get my head thinking right. Sorry if this appears as though I got on a religious tangent--no offense there is intended-any way shape or form. Peace to You--and thank you very much for your common sense and level head. Thanks and best regards to you.

Greg

• Members

I'd agree. It's not like a $300 mic that you can Mod to sound like a $1000 mic. I think they went for around $180 new (in the day) so It would hardly be worth the trouble. Plus being a handheld vocal mic made for rough service you could easily make it less reliable or lessen it's handling noise specs by messing with it. Unless you just want to see what you can do just for the fun of it (that, I understand).

Archived