GOOD CHEAP PA/POWERED MONITORS loudspeaker :)

• Members

I can say in my town 90% of the DJs use the Mackie 450s. I feel they are the #1 DJ speaker. They are at alot of rental houses list. They rent for about $75 bucks a day. If can they hold up to a few years of rentals that proves something also.

Can you please provide a few examples in the Mackie's price range, they will sound alot better?

I wouldn't care if everyone in the world bought one, it doesn't mean they are good. I have both the 450's and the MSR400's and everytime, I get better response, volume, and audience reaction with the Yamaha's. The 450's have a harsh and brittle sound out of the box. Sure they may throw decently, but it sounds terrible!

In this price range of products, be it Samson, Behringer, Mackie, or JBL, it's going to come down to price, availability, and preference.

You can see there are many opinions on these cabinets here. Frankly, if I needed to buy any of them again, the Yamaha's would be my first choice. Although, if I had a larger budget, I would step out of this bucket of products anyway and go with something superior such as iSP anyway.

If you can, find a rental house and rent some of these items. Try them, borrow some, whatever. You need to hear them for yourself and make up your own mind.

Good luck.

• Members

I wouldn't care if everyone in the world bought one, it doesn't mean they are good. I have both the 450's and the MSR400's and everytime, I get better response, volume, and audience reaction with the Yamaha's. The 450's have a harsh and brittle sound out of the box. Sure they may throw decently, but it sounds terrible!

I do find that the Yamahas sound good, but I would be surprised if they could keep up with a 450 in terms of output and bass response. The Yamahas' max SPL is 121DBs IIRC. The times I've heard the 450s, I thought they sounded great. I was particularly impressed with their low frequency response, even up on stands - probably why they are a DJ favorite.

It's odd how some people think the SRM450s sound amazing, while others absolutely hate their sound. I've heard both praise and hate for the MSR400s as well.... so I don't know. I've heard both the Yamahas and Mackies on afew occasions and really thought both sounded good, with the Yamaha smooth on vocals, and the Mackies full and surprisingly loud for their size. It is true that venue size and acoustics makes a difference as well. When I heard the Yamahas, they were being used with subs, while the Mackies were all by themselves. It would be great to try both them out in the same setting with same program material. Al

• Members

IMO, Yamaha has pretty weak powered speaker offerings. Overpriced, low SPL, nothing particularly sexy about them. They came to market early in the powered speaker days, pulled the plug and blew them out on clearance everywhere, I'm assuming because they weren't selling, and recently came back with pretty much what they left with years before.

There are a pair of NX55P's for sale in the For Sale forum. They are being sold as a set with subs, but you may be able to get them for $1000 if you offer separately. Their in NC, but shipping isn't that bad. I recently shipped a pair of my used NX550P's (older version of the NX55P) for like $30 ea via DHL from OH to NE.

• Members

If you don't mind the weight, DB 500a by Samson. I have to agree with Al, the Mackie 450 at the price they have, is a good buy and they have been around for a number of years. The B212a get pretty loud also, the plus side on those is less then $200.00 at some places and are light, the bad thing about them, if you sneeze on the grill it will cave in. You can lay then on there side oneway or they will leaning on the cables and to get them to sound decent, you almost have to turn the bass pot all the way off and the hi. past center, to the right, then turn the level pot just past 2:00 o'clock and it's like some one turned a light on. They realy come to life. Of course, I like the JBL EON G2, if that means anything.

• Members

to get them to sound decent, you almost have to turn the bass pot all the way off and the hi. past center, to the right, then turn the level pot just past 2:00 o'clock and it's like some one turned a light on. They realy come to life.

Yep, that was my first instinct when I tried them out. Turn down the bass a little, turn up the highs a little. It was easy to get them to sound good. Easier than the Samson Live!1212s I did a review on... To be fair, the Samsons did sound very good eventually, but only with an EQ in the signal chain and lots of experimenting. Al

Archived