GOOD CHEAP PA/POWERED MONITORS loudspeaker :)

• Members

hey all.

looking for some options for a powered speaker pair that is VERY LOUD. using to run laptop stuff like drum samples, midi guitar stuff etc.

dont want to spend a ton of money. behringer and other no namers are OK. looking for bang 4 buck..... and LOUD :D

• Members

So how much does sound quality pertain to these parameters of loud & cheap.

LOL. im really not sure. im new to the PA world. amps/effects i know alot. PA's :confused:

i personally dont hear a big difference between a budget PA and a great one (in rehersal). my bandmates spent $1200 per floor monitor and it sounds the same as the old crap ones.

i just want a good/fairly cheap set of powered monitors to hear over a loud band. hope that helps :confused:

• Members

Do you care if the product actually works for more than a short while or does it just have to look good?

it could look like a giant turd and i wouldn't care. as long as it sounds good. looks = NOTHING to me in.... in any regard to gear!

• Members

hey all.

looking for some options for a
powered
speaker pair that is VERY LOUD. using to run laptop stuff like drum samples, midi guitar stuff etc.

dont want to spend a ton of money. behringer and other no namers are OK. looking for bang 4 buck..... and LOUD
:D

Buy used..........CraigsList ;)

• Members

But you say it has to work and sound good and is very loud and cheap.

That's something as rare as hen's teeth. Not something you are going to find in Behringer or no-name products.

i dont tend to agree with this.... i have had epiphone guitars sound better than there 3X the price successors. speaking of behringer i have a VD-400 DM-2 clone. {censored} me if it dosent sound better. it was $20. boss = $200.

im sure that its not going to be the greatest PA of all time. im just looking for something solid thats on the lower $ end. times are touch these days $$$$$ :cry: gas, bread, mortgage. im sure im preaching to the choir :blah:

• Members

ok. avoid the runaround here.

The Behringer speakers are actually pretty darn good, and are a great bang for buck! The older B300 speakers are virtually indestructible and proved to make me a lot of rental money and were perfect for the DJ gigs where I needed tons of overflow for many rooms in a special event.

I would start there.

As a bit of experience, the next step, although a big step, would be the Yamaha MSR400. These sound amazing for all applications and with vocals!

The Mackie SRM450's have proven to be the worst sounding active cabinets out there right now, next to the JBL EON, especially in their price range.

Ultimately, to answer your question, go Behringer to start.

Enjoy! and Good luck!

• Members

The Behringer speakers are actually pretty darn good, and are a great bang for buck! The older B300 speakers are virtually indestructible and proved to make me a lot of rental money and were perfect for the DJ gigs where I needed tons of overflow for many rooms in a special event.

I would start there.

As a bit of experience, the next step, although a big step, would be the Yamaha MSR400. These sound amazing for all applications and with vocals!

The Mackie SRM450's have proven to be the worst sounding active cabinets out there right now, next to the JBL EON, especially in their price range.

I can say in my town 90% of the DJs use the Mackie 450s. I feel they are the #1 DJ speaker. They are at alot of rental houses list. They rent for about $75 bucks a day. If can they hold up to a few years of rentals that proves something also.

Can you please provide a few examples in the Mackie's price range, they will sound alot better?

• Members

I'd look around ebay and use the "distance

parameter as shipping speakers is expensive (and going up weekly) I recently did a gig for some friends that usually do their own sound. They were using a old Pair of Peavey SP2's that they paid $350 dollars for being powered by a Yamaha powered mixer that they bought new (less than $600). They had recently picked up a used pair of Peavey SP118 subs and a QSC RMX 2450 that they got a deal on. I set up the gain structure and with a little EQ thes things rocked. I was really amazed at how good I could get these ancient boxes to sound! The SP2's are at least 20 years old and the subs only had 1/4 inch inputs so they had to have a few years on them too. All for something like $1800 Go used but make sure you take the time to actually hear them

• Members

I would start there.

Ultimately, to answer your question, go Behringer to start.

Enjoy! and Good luck!

I wouldn't consider any of these "loud" and "cheap" and reliable.

B300's indestructable? I think the word desposable is what you were looking for. I have seen plenty of blown ones and while they are ok FOR WHAT THEY ARE, I wouldn't consider them "loud" or indestructable.

The MSR-400's are not all that loud and are somewhat fragile. Nice speaker but not for this application IMO.

The OP is looking for very loud, plans to run drum samples etc. This is in direct conflict with cheap.

Used is probably the best bet but he will need to know what he is looking for or else he's a perfect set-up to buy somebody elses junker problem.

• Members

Really not trying to be harsh, but frankly it doesn't really matter. If all you can afford is cheap, then just go buy something, anything. It will all be more or less the same. It sounds like you'll be cranking it to 11 regardless so it won't sound good no matter what. If you're mixing $1200 cabinets with "old crap ones" and can't tell the difference then you are doing something wrong before they hit the speakers anyway.

• Members

The thing about the mackies and EONs that alot of you might not like is that ,,, they are quite clean. If your vocals are not spot on.. its going to broadcast that to the world. I got a set of mackies and for what they are ,, they are fine. I use them for practice monitors. I could use a sub and i think it would round out the sound a little more ,,, The 450s could use a little more help on the bottom end for my keyboard. At just over 400 a pop they were a great deal.

• Members

The SRM450s (version 1) are on sale right now at quite a few places. Even here, I have a dealer in North Bay selling them at 499$ a piece. The times I have heard them, I thought they performed very well, got very loud and sounded quite good with a healthy bottom end for such a compact speaker. At 499$, they are a good buy IMO. Only drawback might be service issues if ever you have a problem... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

thanks for the help guys. if you could provide more model numbers/links etc it would be rad. just telling me im not going to find anything isnt very constructive IMO :poke: i was thinking about 800-1000 for a pair. used and ugly is ok :D

• Members

FWIW: I've been selling quite a few road cases for QSC HPR122 and HPR152 & 153 cabinets. They seem to be a popular cabinet... the customer's I've talked to praise their performance... and they seem to be "good enough" to warrant protecting with road cases, which to-me sez a lot about the product. I personally have an old, cheap bass... that didn't cost much, and probably isn't worth much, but it plays so good, and sounds so good that I've purchased a relatively expensive case for it.

This might be a deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-HPR152i-15-2-Way-Powered-Loudspeaker-NO-RESERVE-1_W0QQitemZ180260730132

• Members

Yep, I like the idea of those QSCs - they look awesome - and are made by a company known for the reliability of their products. A little on the expensive side but probably worth the investment. I would love to try some someday - no dealers around my area though...

So, what's the most SPL you can get for 1000$ a pair? Let's look at some options :

Behringer B215As : about 600$ a pair.

Pros : Do get surprisingly loud with decent sound quality - built-in mini mixer in the back with 2 band EQ - compact and lightweight - price is unbelievable

Cons : Reliability - probably quite fragile/built to a price (it is a Behringer product) - limited low frequency response (doesn't go very deep)

Samson Live! 1212 cabinet : a little over 1000$ a pair

Pros : 500 watts of real built-in power - very good low frequency response because of double 12'' woofers - great looks - lots of sound for the $$$

Cons : Doesn't sound good out of the box (The Behringer actually sounds better and is easier to EQ) - Fairly big and heavy (80lbs) - warranty on actual speaker components is only 90 days - no built-in mixer at all - you will need an EQ for optimum sound

Yorkville YX15P and Peavey PR15P : around 850$ a pair :

Pros : Made by reputable companies with 2 year (Yorkville) and 1 year (Peavey) warranties - Good sounding overall for their price range - The Yorkville has a built-in 3 band EQ and mini-mixer in the back

Cons : Less SPL capability than the Samson and Behringer, so probably not loud enough to cut through in your case

Wharfedale EVP-X15Ps are another possibility but harder to find. They don't sound great, but are damn loud and do cut through for vocals - should be about 1100$ a pair.

You could get ONE NX750P or ONE QSC speaker for the moment and buy another one when you have the $$$. Both units produce over 125 Decibels which should cut through in your situation.

Anyway, a few possibilities I can see...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B215A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker?sku=600734

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Live1212/

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=58&type=29&id=362

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-15P-Powered-PA-Speaker?sku=601387&src=3SOSWXXA

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Yep, I like the idea of those QSCs - they look awesome - and are made by a company known for the reliability of their products. A little on the expensive side but probably worth the investment. I would love to try some someday - no dealers around my area though...

So, what's the most SPL you can get for 1000$ a pair? Let's look at some options :

Mackie SRM450 (version 1) - about 1000$ a pair

Pros : Loud and high quality sound (especially for this price) with impressive low frequency response for a cabinet of it's size - on sale at half of original price - looks great and is very compact

Cons : Mackie support is far from good (from what I've read) with long delays to have products fixed if they should fail -increased chance of thermal failure if used in monitor position or/and in hot temperatures

Behringer B215As : about 600$ a pair.

Pros : Do get surprisingly loud with decent sound quality - built-in mini mixer in the back with 2 band EQ - compact and lightweight - price is unbelievable

Cons : Reliability - probably quite fragile/built to a price (it is a Behringer product) - limited low frequency response (doesn't go very deep)

Samson Live! 1212 cabinet : a little over 1000$ a pair

Pros : 500 watts of real built-in power - very good low frequency response because of double 12'' woofers - great looks - lots of sound for the $$$

Cons : Doesn't sound good out of the box (The Behringer actually sounds better and is easier to EQ) - Fairly big and heavy (80lbs) - warranty on actual speaker components is only 90 days - no built-in mixer at all - you will need an EQ for optimum sound

Yorkville YX15P and Peavey PR15P : around 900$ a pair :

Pros : Made by reputable companies with 2 year (Yorkville) and 1 year (Peavey) warranties - Good sounding overall for their price range - The Yorkville has a built-in 3 band EQ and mini-mixer in the back

Cons : Less SPL capability than the Samson and Behringer, so probably not loud enough to cut through in your case

Wharfedale EVP-X15Ps are another possibility but harder to find. They don't sound great, but are damn loud and do cut through for vocals - should be about 1100$ a pair.

You could get ONE NX750P or ONE QSC speaker for the moment and buy another one when you have the $$$. Both units produce over 125 Decibels which should cut through in your situation.

Anyway, a few possibilities I can see...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-SRM450-Powered-Monitor?sku=605255&src=3SOSWXXA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B215A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker?sku=600734

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Live1212/

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=58&type=29&id=362

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PR-15P-Powered-PA-Speaker?sku=601387&src=3SOSWXXA

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

The SRM450s (version 1) are on sale right now at quite a few places. Even here, I have a dealer in North Bay selling them at 499$ a piece. The times I have heard them, I thought they performed very well, got very loud and sounded quite good with a healthy bottom end for such a compact speaker. At 499$, they are a good buy IMO. Only drawback might be service issues if ever you have a problem... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

I thought hard about the service issue before i pulled the trigger. I am sure that someone will support this stuff ,, they sold a bazillion of them. The question i would really like to know is what is the difference between the blow out discontinued ones and the latest and greatest. Prolly not that much. I bought three... I figure i got a floor monitor or a spare main in case one needs to go for repair. At the blow out price, it was a no brainer. It was cheap, compact clean PA power.

• Members

I thought hard about the service issue before i pulled the trigger. I am sure that someone will support this stuff ,, they sold a bazillion of them. The question i would really like to know is what is the difference between the blow out discontinued ones and the latest and greatest. Prolly not that much. I bought three... I figure i got a floor monitor or a spare main in case one needs to go for repair. At the blow out price, it was a no brainer. It was cheap, compact clean PA power.

I would rather have the older version which are built in a different place than the newer version. What I have read about V2 so far has not been promising quality wise. The only advantage of the V2 is that they are lighter because of neo magnets. Oh, and they are blue - which is good - if you like blue speakers. :)

Archived