15" or 18" sub for small to medium clubs??

• Members

For tops we're using three ways (old Carvin 1584's w/ replaced eminence drivers) that have a titanium HF driver, 8" mid, and 15" woofer.

Vocals/mids sound crystal clear.....would not trade them (paid $300.00 for the pair) for anything (for the $$$). I've tried an 18" sub with them and the snap and attack of the 8" mid was awesome, but the sub was a little loose...like if the 18" was a little too big for the club. It had plenty of power and was crossed over at 80hz. Over 100hz was extremely boomy....just rumble.

We only used one aimed at a stage corner and it sounded so much better than when it was pointed towards the audience. I have a feeling that one 15" sub would do it for the sharp and quick punch...i'm not looking for rumble....just a little "kick" in the sound with some tightness.....no need to feel it in the chest. I want a moderate...not a loud in your face, kick. Something bearable. Advice?

• Members

I'm currently running 2 junk bins loaded with Eminence Omega Pro 15's as subs. We don't have a drummer, but the set-up works well in medium rooms for 4-way vocals, 3 guitars, bass and keys. We have some sturdy amps behind them though. Relatively tight low end. We rent when we need more.

What type of group/music do you do? Makes a difference.

• Members

Don't think in terms of speakers size, subs are more to do with box design combined with speaker.

Personally I use single 15" subs and I'm reasonably happy with them, but they are folded horns in massive bins and If I could afford to I would get more and smaller 18" subs instead.

• Members

It doesn't really matter whether it's a 15" or 18" sub. Subs crossed over above 100 will often give you a nasty sound. Once you get up there you're getting over the "sub frequencies", but also where a lot of subs are most efficient (where the peak is). The 45 - 80 Hz of the program material you want is masked by 100+ Hz which is coming out as much as twice as loud. That's why you can adjust a crossover.

The characteristics of the sub are determined as much or more by the box design than the driver size.

- A front loaded design usually gives a tighter sound, but at the expense of lower output of some other designs.

- A band pass maximizes output and reduces box size, but isn't as accurate and may have peaks at the band frequency.

- Horn loaded boxes often get "lower and louder" as you add boxes next to them because the horn mouth "couples".

• Members
We play mostly rock, but dabble a little on The Police, The Doors some 80's stuff like Tommy Tutone, "jessie's girl."

NTL, the actual model and design is more important than just the woofer diameter. As for the boominess you heard, maybe the room just had some hot frequencies? Did you try EQing the boominess out?

• Members

Very little EQing. Maybe that was it. It just seemed like maybe it just was not loud enough to sound good. We don't play at very loud volumes. I've not yet tried horn loaded subs. I've heard good things about yorkvilles 15" horn loaded subs.

• Members

Horn loads aren't much about sharp, quick punch, especially at short distances. They tend to work best in larger venues.

My guess is your 18" front load was fine and you may have either had them up too loud or didn't have the kick drum EQ'd well. The "punch" you're talking about is as much about the slap of the beater on the head as anything else and that's not the job of the sub. All of the attack is in the top boxes. Be careful not to emphasize the lows on the channel strip and/or roll off the mids and highs.

• Members

oh no, i'm quite aware :) ,,,that is why there is a comma between the "tommy tutone" and "jessies Girl"..... two totally different things...i just wanted to make sure that i was not accused of playing somthing other than Jessies girl when it came to Mr. Springfield!!!!...no soap opera rock for me!!!....P.S....i'm a eighties guy!! :)

• Members

oh no, i'm quite aware
:)
,,,that is why there is a comma between the "tommy tutone" and "jessies Girl"..... two totally different things...i just wanted to make sure that i was not accused of playing somthing other than Jessies girl when it came to Mr. Springfield!!!!...no soap opera rock for me!!!....P.S....i'm a eighties guy!!

Oddly enough, Rick and his band was on a mourning show today (NBC or ABC) doing a few of his tunes including Jessies Girl.

• Members

What was Rick so sad about?

He only wishes he had Jessie's girl...... :facepalm:

oh.... and maybe that people would notice the other songs he has written, like ''Jessie ain't no friend'' or ''I don't like Jessie anymore'' and also ''Ricky's got a gun'' or his last recording ''Today I killed my friend Jessie'' :) Al

• Members

Thanks for the correction.I thought of the song while reading the thread and couldn't remember.

eh!

I usually can't even remember the "name" of that song... but then I'm just a bass player... so all I'm really concerned about is what key it's in... the rest is just minor details that will work themselves out (just fumble around with the first note until the other necessary notes become self evident).

• Members

eh!

I usually can't even remember the "name" of that song... but then I'm just a bass player... so all I'm really concerned about is what key it's in... the rest is just minor details that will work themselves out (just fumble around with the first note until the other necessary notes become self evident).

I hate to say, but that sounds incredibly familiar :)

What I hate are the 12 bar blues songs, easy enough but I never remember what the first note is meant to be.

Archived