Wiring the amp rack

• Members

The amp rack might be patched from the front, the two FOH racks will be patched in the back I think. They normally sit on a table too, but I like to keep all my wires on the back.

agedhorse I see what you mean about fixing on the fly. I also see the the connectors can be $400. I don't need it that much. Do any of you know a good resource or a trick to finding multipin jacks and connectors that are strong enough that I wouldn't have to worry about them and also are cheap.

The places that I really want them are on the fan out of my snake (24x8) and one going to each FOH rack. I also plan on wiring up the powercon power connectors to everything and probably just building an extension cord basically for it. Then I'm going to make my two racks daisy chain on power.

• Members

I also see the the connectors can be $400. I don't need it that much. Do any of you know a good resource or a trick to finding multipin jacks and connectors that are strong enough that I wouldn't have to worry about them and also are cheap.

In a word: no. If such devices existed (good and cheap), *that* is what most everyone would be using. I believe what is commonly used is probably what's evolved to be the most cost effective.

• Members

I guess it's just one of the niches where they can take $10 of cost and sell it for a HUGE markup. I was also looking at using CCU cables from video possibly. They have a good connection and a 26 pin would allow me to do 8 channels of balanced audio.

I'm guessing some type of DB25 serial cable wouldn't work. Not strong enough? Because those are very cheap.

• Members

In a word: no. If such devices existed (good and cheap), *that* is what most everyone would be using. I believe what is commonly used is probably what's evolved to be the most cost effective.

this is 100% right. though one must have a deep understand of what is ment be cost effective. - In genral I think people seem to over value inital cost, at the expense of long term cost.

• Members

All that you said is true. I just wish there was a solution for not military/huge production house people. I might try the DB25 thing, at least for my rack interconnects. Still would like something bigger and stronger for my snake.

I believe Markertek (www.markertek.com) offer various DB25 x audio connector fantail cables premade. They're not cheap (priced) but might save you a lot of very frustrating DIYS assembly:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=DTF%2D803&off=0&sort=prod&skuonly=1&search=DTF%2D803&pagesize=20

Also, the EDAC 516-56 multipin stuff can work well and be cost effective:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdList.asp?off=0&sort=prod&skuonly=0&search=EDAC&pagesize=0

• Members

Those are pretty decent prices, especially with the labor. I was looking at connectors costing 6 times that and still having to do the soldering.

I just did a layout of the connections I want. It allows for everything to be accessed with regular cables should anything happen. If any cable goes down I have a way of making that channel work.

• Members

I am jsut going to jump in here real quick and mention that if some one was in the USA and could order from mark, he has a number of elcon/elco? edac conections.

one could get a bit creative and use the fanouts to build a diconect that fits on to the end of an existing sake with out too much trouble, and no soldering.

• Members

I wouldn't trust DB25's for anything that had to be repeatedly disconnected. Standoffs can fall out, meaning that you have nothing to actually attach to. It's not that hard to break off one of the screws if you crank down too hard. Cheap connectors & hoods mate poorly with each other.

-Dan.

• Members

DB-25's are not suitable for multipin audio interconnects. When they fail (even from careful handling), how do you propose to correct the problem on the fly in the field? Is it ok to cancel your gig because you can't getthings working?

EDAC connectors are fine but you have to take very good care of them of you will be in the same boat.

Archived