I have an opportunity to buy a 200 amp distribution box w/ 100ft cable... should I?

• Members

It's not often we run into problems with electric, however when we do it can be such a buzzkill. On my local Craigslist someone is selling a 30 amp Dist box with 4-20 amp outlets... and a 200amp box with 8 20 amp outlets for $100. They look in good shape. I'm just wondering whether these will help us in situations where we are stuck running all our power from the same circuit. Each box comes with 100 ft of cable, so at least if we're stuck with only one outlet source we can run power elsewhere. With our backline, PA Lights and additional power draw I'd say we're pumping 5000-8000 watts per gig.

0101040115120116082008090881cf14e1186973

• CMS Author

There's no reason to scare him off if the distro has simple NEMA plugs...he can't get into any more trouble than he would plugging in an electric drier in his basement.

wheresgrant, ask the seller what the cables terminate with. It appears in the one pic there might be a Twist-lock plug, but I can't make it out clearly.

• Members

There's no reason to scare him of if the distro has simple NEMA plugs...he can't get into any more trouble than he would plugging in an electric drier in his basement.

wheresgrant, ask the seller what the cables terminate with. It appears in the one pic there might be a Twist-lock plug, but I can't make it out clearly.

It appears to me that the NEMA type Twist-lock plug is female gender... possibly on the end of 100ft. of 10-4 cable which I suspect is fed from the panel box... and is probably not intended to feed the panel box.

If indeed what appears to be approx. 10-4 cable with that twistlock end is the feeder cable, then it's not really what could be classed as a 200A power distro system. I think the upper limit of commonly available NEMA type twist-lock connectors is approx. 50A. I believe 200A all-in-one connectors is generally the realm of pin & sleeve stuff, and 200A rated 4 or 5 conductor SO feeder cable is BIG, FAT, HEAVY stuff.

It also appears there is a wad of cables hanging out a hole in the upper left corner of the panel box, which I suspect is/was the feeder cable.

It doesn't appear to me that this distro assemblage is a plug and play item as-is.

• Members

If you got the money I say buy it. You never know when that could come in handy. I recently bought a peavey distro and found 30 foot of S/O at a pawn shop. Total price $500.00 That is a great deal you would be getting. If you have any electrician friends I would have them check it out before you use it.

• CMS Author

It appears to me that the NEMA type Twist-lock plug is female gender... possibly on the end of 100ft. of 10-4 cable which I suspect is fed from the panel box... and is probably not intended to feed the panel box.

If indeed what appears to be approx. 10-4 cable with that twistlock end is the feeder cable, then it's not really what could be classed as a 200A power distro system. I think the upper limit of commonly available NEMA type twist-lock connectors is approx. 50A. I believe 200A all-in-one connectors is generally the realm of pin & sleeve stuff, and 200A rated 4 or 5 conductor SO feeder cable is BIG, FAT, HEAVY stuff.

It also appears there is a wad of cables hanging out a hole in the upper left corner of the panel box, which I suspect is/was the feeder cable.

It doesn't appear to me that this distro assemblage is a plug and play item as-is.

Yes, that looks like a female Twistlock. It could be the distro box has a short tail with a male twistlock. The rotation of the cable ends kinda looks like it could bear this out, but i'm overanalyzing in the face of insufficient info. ;)

Some clear pictures of all the sides and a better description would help.

If it's $100 for both distro's, and both have their own 100' cable, it's worth the price just to get the cable. It shouldn't take much to have a qualified electrician make them usable.

The real question still remains.....do you play gigs that have 30a outlets available???

• Members

The real question still remains.....do you play gigs that have 30a outlets available???

Good question. Most of my gigs that have anything mounted at the stage (other than 15/20amp circuits) use a 50a (14-50 or Range-style) plug.

• Members

So I spoke with the seller... both boxes are homemade... the 200amp box has 6/4 cable and the 30 amp has 10/4. They both have a NEMA twist connector (similar to air conditioner style).

I'm still on the fence about this... he'd sell both to me for $135. He mentioned that to build these would cost a couple of $100's alone just for the cable. He has people looking to sell these for the copper, but he'd rather sell these to a band and get some use.

Again, I wonder when I'd have an opportunity to use these... then again two weeks ago we played an outdoor gig at a state park and tripped the circuit twice during soundcheck. Then nearest available power was by 100ft extention cord through wet park grass.

Decisions...

• Members

So I spoke with the seller... both boxes are homemade... the 200amp box has 6/4 cable and the 30 amp has 10/4. They both have a NEMA twist connector (similar to air conditioner style).

I'm still on the fence about this... he'd sell both to me for $135. He mentioned that to build these would cost a couple of $100's alone just for the cable. He has people looking to sell these for the copper, but he'd rather sell these to a band and get some use.

Again, I wonder when I'd have an opportunity to use these... then again two weeks ago we played an outdoor gig at a state park and tripped the circuit twice during soundcheck. Then nearest available power was by 100ft extention cord through wet park grass.

Decisions...

The cable and components alone are worth several times his price. If you are uncomfortable dealing with it, buy it and take it to a local electrician and have them fix it up for use. If they say it's totally unsuitable, eBay it. I think you would profit either way.

Archived