Rediculously LOUD monitor, but not loud enough

• Members

I was doing a country music festival today, and we did 6 bands. ALL 5 bands before the headliner were great with all of their monitor volumes and mixes. When we got to the headliner, the wedges just weren't loud enough for him. We were using: 2x JBL MRX 512m monitors (just for him) and a single JBL MRX 515 (to try and get more of himself). 1x QSC PL218 for the 2 mons. and 1x QSC PL218 for the single 15. My gain on him at the board was +6. My channel aux was MAXED out, and my aux master was at 9 of 10. My Klark Square One was about 1 o'clock gain wise (with only the freqs feeding back cut) and the amps were wide open. THE STAGE WAS WAY TO LOUD. but he kept saying "not enough, not enough". I was maxed out everywhere and when i went up to check them, I about fell over at the volume. His wife came up to me and said he's practically deaf after 25 years of this kind of stage volume. Did I do anything wrong at all??

• Members

You did nothing wrong. I experienced that once about 30 years ago, the lead singer kept asking for more, I maxed him, just like you, cutting the feedback on the eq. when there waqs literally nothing left to give, I walked up to check the monitor again. I had to step back immediately, that thing parted my hair and I heard nothing but the lead. He asked for more all night, and we could do nothing. I chose to never run sound for that band again. Oddly enough they are still a reletively popular band locally. I ont know if they changed singers or not.

• Members

Some stages ARE way too loud, not much you can do about it. That's the "Artist's Choice", your job is to accommodate the artist. I'm not sure I would want to try to satisfy any nationals with PL218s on wedges, though. In my experience, that just ain't enough power. Save the 218s for the horns, get some big amps to run under them and biamp. Some PL230s would be fine. It's only money, right? :)

My job last night was a touring act, I was at 100 dB(a) slow average, 105 peaks @ FOH before I brought up the house. PLX 3002s w/1602s. WAAAAY too freakin' loud if you ask me, but the band (all with earplugs, of course!) was happy. Whatever.

• Members

Sometimes you just have to say "I'm sorry,this is as loud as I can go.I don't have anything left to give" As long as you are trying to get louder and he know its, he was going to ask for more. If your going to trash your system what does this cost him?

I remember my grandfather told me this a long time ago. " If you want to work yourself to death,people will let you." Sometimes respect comes from saying No.

Learn to say "No". Or at the very least say "Thats all I have."

If the artist can't understand that then your out nothing. Repeat gigs that are 100% PITA in the long hall are not worth keeping. If your maxed out tell them so. Its important yes to work with the performer. But life is a two way street. Treat them as they treat you or your going to be treated bad. Sometimes you can say "I can turn it up a little more but your starting to sound REAL BAD out in the front......."

Dookietwo

• Members

Sometimes you just have to say "I'm sorry,this is as loud as I can go.I don't have anything left to give" As long as you are trying to get louder and he know its, he was going to ask for more. If your going to trash your system what does this cost him?

I remember my grandfather told me this a long time ago. " If you want to work yourself to death,people will let you." Sometimes respect comes from saying No.

Learn to say "No". Or at the very least say "Thats all I have."

If the artist can't understand that then your out nothing. Repeat gigs that are 100% PITA in the long hall are not worth keeping. If your maxed out tell them so. Its important yes to work with the performer. But life is a two way street. Treat them as they treat you or your going to be treated bad. Sometimes you can say "I can turn it up a little more but your starting to sound REAL BAD out in the front......."

Dookietwo

I agree. Supply what is being paid for. If the performer needs 135dB capacity monitors to perform, then that needs to be worked out with whomever is involved in writing the bid specs prior to the event. You can't order a cheese burger and fries and expect a 16oz. steak & 7 course meal to be served. Nobody can expect a contract to be open ended at a fixed price... although this type of thinking seems to be more common in SR contracting than most any other walk of life.

• Members

I was doing a country music festival today, and we did 6 bands. ALL 5 bands before the headliner were great with all of their monitor volumes and mixes. When we got to the headliner, the wedges just weren't loud enough for him. We were using: 2x JBL MRX 512m monitors (just for him) and a single JBL MRX 515 (to try and get more of himself). 1x QSC PL218 for the 2 mons. and 1x QSC PL218 for the single 15. My gain on him at the board was +6. My channel aux was MAXED out, and my aux master was at 9 of 10. My Klark Square One was about 1 o'clock gain wise (with only the freqs feeding back cut) and the amps were wide open. THE STAGE WAS WAY TO LOUD. but he kept saying "not enough, not enough". I was maxed out everywhere and when i went up to check them, I about fell over at the volume. His wife came up to me and said he's practically deaf after 25 years of this kind of stage volume. Did I do anything wrong at all??

You should have told him that he needs a hearing aid.

• Members

I have no shame, and no fear. I've told friends AND strangers, YOU'RE DEAF! YOU'VE WRECKED YOUR HEARING!

I don't care how long you've been an artist. If you've been playing for 40 years, and you ask for that much monitors, I'd flat out tell you, TOO BAD. SHOULDA WORE EAR PLUGS, YOU DEAF IDIOT!!!

I wear earplugs at every practice, at every show I perform, and at every concert I attend. I'm NEVER without hearing protection.

Too bad for that bum. Shoulda thought about career longevity when he got into the bizzness.

Archived