Stage Monitors

• Members

We've been using crap ass stage monitors for a while now and I'm finally ready to replace them. I don't have a huge budget nor do we always play huge stages so I'm looking for somethings reasonably priced and not huge. 90% of what we run through them is vocals.

I was considering the yamaha BR 12Ms and wanted to see what experience any of you had with them. Is there a huge difference between the BR and SM series? The SM12Vs are about $60 more per speaker - if the added $$$ worth it in your opinion?

Thanks.

• Members

We've been using crap ass stage monitors for a while now and I'm finally ready to replace them.
I don't have a huge budget nor do we always play huge stages so I'm looking for somethings reasonably priced and not huge. 90% of what we run through them is vocals.

I was considering the yamaha BR 12Ms and wanted to see what experience any of you had with them.
Is there a huge difference between the BR and SM series? The SM12Vs are about $60 more per speaker - if the added $$$ worth it in your opinion?

Thanks.

Yes, the difference is well worth it, the BR's are still pretty crappy. You will notice a significant difference with the SM line

Winston

• Members

I just sold a pair of Meyer UM-1A monitors on eBay and they went for about $400 each... there were about nine more posted at that price, too. I can't imagine anything that'd sound better, but I'm using IEMs so I didn't need them.

Looks like the SM12 is $350 or so? $350 for a Yamaha or $400 for a used Meyer...

Only "issue" I could see is that you'd need an M-1A processor, but they're what, $200-$250 or so used? Still talking about $1000 for a premium-grade system that will probably be the last you'll have to buy, compared to $700 for the Yamahas.

• Members

Recommendation. Instead of getting one big 15" driver monitor, get two small 12" monitor cabs and a good EQ for dialing them flat and proper. That way you get broader coverage and lets the performers wiggle them around on stage as they need. Like singers who want them angled around them or keyboardists that want them pulled underneath their key stands. Also, having two horns with wider dispersion helps when performers move around a lot on stage and need more side-to-side coverage.

An ideal would be six 12" cabinets in front, each pair getting its own signal feed and amp channel. Two 8-ohm cabs on an amp's channel gets the most wattage you can, but lets you spread the sound out. More efficiency. and two 12"s have more surface area than one 15" so you definitely push more air for more sound, letting you run your amps cooler.

• Members

An ideal would be six 12" cabinets in front, each pair getting its own signal feed and amp channel. Two 8-ohm cabs on an amp's channel gets the most wattage you can, but lets you spread the sound out. More efficiency. and two 12"s have more surface area than one 15" so you definitely push more air for more sound, letting you run your amps cooler.

Guess you missed this part of his post:

I don't have a huge budget nor do we always play huge stages

• Members

Recommendation. Instead of getting one big 15" driver monitor, get two small 12" monitor cabs and a good EQ for dialing them flat and proper. That way you get broader coverage and lets the performers wiggle them around on stage as they need. Like singers who want them angled around them or keyboardists that want them pulled underneath their key stands. Also, having two horns with wider dispersion helps when performers move around a lot on stage and need more side-to-side coverage.

Good advice IMO. Also more compact on smaller stages where there's only room for one per position. We typically take out a dozen or so 12" biamped wedges and they work well for our clients.

• Members

Good advice IMO. Also more compact on smaller stages where there's only room for one per position. We typically take out a dozen or so 12" biamped wedges and they work well for our clients.

Good advice for someone with that kind of budget and stage space, irrelevant to the OP IMO

We've been using crap ass stage monitors for a while now and I'm finally ready to replace them. I don't have a huge budget nor do we always play huge stages so I'm looking for somethings reasonably priced and not huge. 90% of what we run through them is vocals.

Esp with that last part, get a few SM12Vs, think you'll be more than happy and maybe within budget.

• Members

thanks all - I went with the sm12's - paid about $300 each at sam ash. I'm gonna try them this weekend and if they don't cut it I'll enjoy the 30 day return policy. Hopefully they will do just fine.

One last question... I realized what we were using to this point were the EV's with the 8" speaker. Sounds tiny but they are also $300 at sam ash. I'm not trying to base everything on price alone here but have I really upgraded? :)

• Members

If the EV you currently have is the ZX1-90....I think that is a very decent monitor but requires quite a bit of power as they are inefficient. I wouldn't recommend them for really loud stages but they are far from crap-ass. lol I do believe the Yamaha's will get louder and sound better on a traditional band stage.

electro_voice_zx1_90_s17302.jpg

• Members

If you have EV ZX1's they are a better sounding speaker than the Yamaha in general. However for your specific application you may like the Yamaha better. It would especially be the case if you do not have the proper power amps to drive the EV's. Also 12" 2 way is a classic sound for vocal monitors.

What are your specific complaints with the Ev's? Also what are using to power them?

• Members

Good advice for someone with that kind of budget and stage space, irrelevant to the OP IMO

Completely relevant to the OP, who seemed adverse to smaller monitors in general. I was pointing out that as you go up the food chain, 12" monitors are more the norm and it's very rare to find folks who are unhappy with the choice.

• Members

I'm not saying to dump a fortune into monitors. But suprisingly, my old CGM 12" wedges from 10 years ago are still serving me well, and they cost me $150 for BOTH. Yeah, not exactly amazing studio sound quality, unless you EQ it a bit. Then they're peachy keen.

• Members

Bears and flac - thanks for the feedback. Issues I have with the little EV monitors is either I can't hear enough from them or they are breaking up as if they are being driven too hard. At one point I thought the speaker blew. We use QSC amps but I'm not sure which model or wattage is driving the monitors. What I do love about the EVs is they are so damn small!

• Members

The EV's may be breaking up because you are clipping the power amp. Your amp should be around 250 watts RMS at 8 ohms per side to drive a pair of ZX1's. Your Yamaha's have the same power handling so you may have the same clipping problem with SM12's as well. Your amp could be the weak link.

Also you should be cutting frequencies below 100hz to get rid of low frequency bleed from stage noise. You don't need anything below 100hz for vocal monitors. (This would go for the Yamaha's as well.)

All this being said, you may like the sound of 12" speakers better than the 8". Twelves are pretty industry standard for vocals only stage monitors and there is a reason for that.

But again, the ZX1's are nice and compact for small stages.

Steve

• Members

thanks all - I went with the sm12's - paid about $300 each at sam ash. I'm gonna try them this weekend and if they don't cut it I'll enjoy the 30 day return policy. Hopefully they will do just fine.

One last question... I realized what we were using to this point were the EV's with the 8" speaker. Sounds tiny but they are also $300 at sam ash. I'm not trying to base everything on price alone here but have I really upgraded?
:)

So...mcsdude, Did you try out the Yamaha monitors? I am curious as to what you found. Please let us know.

• Members

I used about a dozen different monitors before upgrading and thougt for the price the SM series Yamaha's are the best bang for the buck. Properly powered of course. They take a bit of EQ but with a little patience they can be dialed in quite well. The 12's are decent but the 15 is a necessity for the drummer if they need to feel the thump. The diff between the 2 is very noticable. They absolutely toast the JBL JRX series. And I'm a fan of JBL.

Archived