Cerwin Vega 21" folded horn subs

• Members

Anyone heard them? Is a 21" speaker more of a gimmick then anything? I had some old CV subs a long time ago,and they were the {censored}! Is there anything to a speaker with a larger than 18" diameter? Anything on pricing? If this is an already discussed topic,I apologize in advance.

• Members

The benefits are marginal, especially in a folded horn. Of course the market they sell to is infatuated with "bigger is better", in all aspects of their life.

Their marketing is proclaiming they are better than front load dual 18" subs. I know it is their marketing,but I always thought they were a fairly respected,heavy hitter in the subs department. Do you think the front load version would be a better all- around performer?

• Members

Their marketing is proclaiming they are better than front load dual 18" subs. I know it is their marketing,but I always thought they were a fairly respected,heavy hitter in the subs department. Do you think the front load version would be a better all- around performer?

CV is well respected in the DJ market. I've never really seen them used in live sound. I'd take a well designed front loaded 18" sub any day. JBL MRX series, Peavey SP, Yamaha SW or yorkville LP808 (not really truly front loaded). If you want to go powered all of these manufacturers offer a powered version as well.

• Members

I always thought they were a fairly respected,heavy hitter in the subs department.

I always thought of them as unrefined, over-sized consumer-level gear. I used to see that stuff in the low-to-mid level hi-fi stores back in the 70's. I always thought they sounded very muddy and loose. Mind you, things may have changed since then.

Bob

• Members

Most quality single 18" e-horns will keep up with a good quality dual 18" front load cab from my experience.

• Members

CV is well respected in the DJ market. I've never really seen them used in live sound. I'd take a well designed front loaded 18" sub any day. JBL MRX series, Peavey SP, Yamaha SW or yorkville LP808 (not really truly front loaded). If you want to go powered all of these manufacturers offer a powered version as well.

I tried them once .... all I can say is no thanks!

• Members

which model?

Unfortunately when I come across gear I dislike I do not write down the model number, only when I like it am I concerned. There's an entire Carvin system here locally and I never have cared for it either. I even felt weird about the Carvin snake I had so I traded it off for an EWI (j/k - but I did trade it for an EWI :) ). Carvin, B-52, don't know who else makes those style of boxes (those are the only 2 I ever tried out) but I thought they were similar to the dual Yamaha club boxes I had - a place for them somewhere but not anywhere near my stage. :eek:

I mostly agree with this post overall:

The benefits are marginal, especially in a folded horn. Of course the market they sell to is infatuated with "bigger is better", in all aspects of their life.

• Members

Unfortunately when I come across gear I dislike I do not write down the model number, only when I like it am I concerned. There's an entire Carvin system here locally and I never have cared for it either. I even felt weird about the Carvin snake I had so I traded it off for an EWI (j/k - but I did trade it for an EWI
:)
). Carvin, B-52, don't know who else makes those style of boxes (those are the only 2 I ever tried out) but I thought they were similar to the dual Yamaha club boxes I had - a place for them somewhere but not anywhere near my stage.
:eek:

Are you refering to any folded horn or just 21" folded horns?

I can see a place still for folded horns in general: for those who are starting, have a big truck and don't have much money. I'm quite happy with my single 15" folded horns but I don't like transporting them.

• Members

The thread began as a 21" but then after about a few posts went to a general folded horn thread since I don't think anyone has had any experience yet with the 21" folded horn from CV yet.

My posts were associated with 18" versions with which I have had experience. I doubt after hearing these 21s my opinions will change ... looks like the even bigger 21s won't affect your complaint regarding this design either:

I'm quite happy with my single 15" folded horns but I don't like transporting them.

:thu:

• Members
Unfortunately when I come across gear I dislike I do not write down the model number, only when I like it am I concerned. There's an entire Carvin system here locally and I never have cared for it either. I even felt weird about the Carvin snake I had so I traded it off for an EWI (j/k - but I did trade it for an EWI
). Carvin, B-52, don't know who else makes those style of boxes (those are the only 2 I ever tried out) but I thought they were similar to the dual Yamaha club boxes I had - a place for them somewhere but not anywhere near my stage.
:eek:

Carvin or Cerwin-Vega?

• Members

I can see a place still for folded horns in general: for those who are starting, have a big truck and don't have much money. I'm quite happy with my single 15" folded horns but I don't like transporting them.

A typical 18" e-horn is no larger than most dual 18" front-loads and is probably just as light and many times easir to maneuver. And a decent one will do as much as a dual 18" frontload as well.

• Members

A typical 18" e-horn is no larger than most dual 18" front-loads and is probably just as light and many times easir to maneuver. And a decent one will do as much as a dual 18" frontload as well.

My 15" cabs are quite large while not being difficult to transport, They are close to a square metre. They are light for their size and on high quality casters. I have been known to roll them (the whole speaker, not on the wheels) single handed up flights of stairs (definately wouldn't try to get them down flights of stairs the same way).

My problem with them is that unlike a front load 18" cab for example, I can only fit 2 easily in my van with my other gear. That limits where they can be placed in the van, and on the stage.

It's all compromise, and they were cheap ($150 aus the pair).

• Members

Carvin or Cerwin-Vega?

CV ... had Carvin on the brain today since I was getting rid of the only product I had. Don't think it matters, if Cavin makes one I'm sure it's light-duty and I would only consider it if I was a broke DJ with a big trailer ... and I don't mean the kind that are lived in :)

• Members
CV ... had Carvin on the brain today since I was getting rid of the only product I had. Don't think it matters, if Cavin makes one I'm sure it's light-duty and I would only consider it if I was a broke DJ with a big trailer ... and I don't mean the kind that are lived in

They've made W and an odd e-horn. But really, a typical Earthquake sized e-horn is no larger than a typical dual 18" frontload cab. Plus you can put a few small things in the horn mouth so you may actually be saving space.

• Members

I have never seen or heard any folded horn subs larger than 15". It would be interesting to hear some real world experience if anyone has some to offer. As for the benefits of folded horn subs in general, it is a tradeoff for sure. Yes you can get double 18" front loaded boxes that are smaller and easier to transport, but they usually require more power to run them. And depending on the model of cabinets involved, the folded horn is more efficient in my opinion as far as moving the air. There is a 700 cap. club that we play at regularly where I take in 4 LAB (dual 12" folded horn) subs and I can shake the place when there are 400 or 500 people in there all the way in the back of the room. The house guy can't even come close with his 4 double 18" Merlyn cabinets.

Archived