IEM mix from stage

• Members

ok so my band had a gig the other night where the sound guy screwed the monitoring so bad it was unbelievable. he was looking at his console like the thing grew new knobs. just a kid, and probably new, but still... we pulled it off, but it wasn't too easy.

since that night, I've been thinking of IEMs for the band. I'm pretty sound savy, but I'm thinking of something a little different. I would like to control the IEM mix my self from stage so we don't have to ask the sound guy multible times over the PA to turn the guitar down.

let me know how close I am... I would keep a small mixer (all I care about is the aux sends for the IEMs) run the mics into my mixer, bring up the pre's up at my end, set the faders to unity, then run line out into the FOH stage snake to never touch the source faders again for the rest of the show.

I've never used IEMs before. I'm the drummer, and I'm not worried about hearing my self, but the band may have an issue with that. would you guys run drums through the IEMs? maybe just overheads? with just bass guitar and vocals it's a simple plan. what I don't want is to drag out our set up time, and over complicate things for FOH

I ran a couple searches and didn't find anything. I hope this isn't too common of a subject...

• Members

I would keep a small mixer (all I care about is the aux sends for the IEMs) run the mics into my mixer, bring up the pre's up at my end, set the faders to unity, then run line out into the FOH stage snake to never touch the source faders again for the rest of the show.

Unless you own the FOH system and the SE is your BE that ain't gonna fly. You need something like this:

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/split.html#sbsplit

and two 16 xlr-xlr snakes to connect it to the FOH snake and your stage monitor board.

• Members

Yeah, you and the house need a dedicated split.

I've built rigs where the monitor rack had the split built-in... all the mics ran to the monitor console (a mixwiz 16:2) via drop boxes, and a 16ch pass through snake patched into the house snake. We had our ears and openers still had their wedges (via FOH). We left the monitor rack by the drummer so he could change things. It took some communication the first few shows but once you get it dialed in... you can pretty much leave it and have the same mix every time so long as everyone keeps everything at the same level.

You can mix in whatever you'd like, but when I run IEM's I like to have everything in my ears.

• Members

Your post conradicts itself... If you feel you are qualified to put {censored} on someone doing your monitors and you think you are sound savy, then shouldnt you know how to rig up IEM for stage ?

• Members

Going from FOH driven monitors to a stage based mixer for IEMs is a big jump and costly. Consider first just trying IEMs driven from FOH aux lines.

IEMs like Shure PSM200 units have 2 inputs, so one can be the FOH mix, and the other your instrument. That way you can adjust yourself separately without affecting any of the others.

Ed

• Members

IEMs like Shure PSM200 units have 2 inputs, so one can be the FOH mix, and the other your instrument. That way you can adjust yourself separately without affecting any of the others.

This is what I did on Saturday night, sent myself a feed from my guitar rig so I could adjust how much guitar I wanted relative to everything else, which was pretty much set and forget (I basically had vocals and keys in my mix, as I could hear the drums and bass anyway). Worked a treat!

• Members

A small monitor console with a built in splitter, and IEM transmitters appropriate for your needs is the solution. Not a cheap solution though.

I think this answers the question I have but since this is new territory for me, could you please flesh this out a little? With my current band's set up, we are limited to two monitor mixes. But whether or not we went to an IEM, if each us us wanted a different mix, we would need a separate console or splitter to do that. Correct?

• Members

I think this answers the question I have but since this is new territory for me, could you please flesh this out a little? With my current band's set up, we are limited to two monitor mixes. But whether or not we went to an IEM, if each us us wanted a different mix, we would need a separate console or splitter to do that. Correct?

It actually depends on how different a mix each wants. If each only wants to hear themself more clearly, then a single monitor mix is sufficient as using some IEM gear can accomodate the "self" aspect separate from the FOH mix.

If each wants a very different mix, then you need other choices.

Ed

Archived