A&H ZED-436 Vs A&H GL2400-32

• Members

I need some input to get new mixer. Reading in here majority lean to A&H mixer.

I sort it out that I got A&H ZED-436, and A&H GL2400-32. I need true

24- 32 mics input + other extra stereo input if it come with, 6 Aux, 4 bus.

What i understand

1/ ZED = has USB and can be use as recording, and 2 Matrix ( what is it and how it work ) I'm still not clear.

2/ GL 2400 = can use as Main mix and Monitor mix, and 7 Matrix again what difference 2 matrix and 7 matrix

I'm very new with A&H mixer. How is quality of sound ( EQ tunning for clarity VOCAL before start feedback ), how is it last compare with other brand. I have Mackie SR24-4 VLZ last for me since 1995 now I got hum sound come out from mixer ( not because grounding from system )

Any input will appreciated, and thanks in advance

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As A&H said ZED EQ is from GL series.Is it mean ZED has exact quality and feature from GL series ?

About ZED USB ".... Auxes 1&2 can be sent to the USB bus for recording pre-fade signals independently to the main mix.... " So how it work ?

Can it record while the band playing live ? If YES , then

Example:

Using ZED for live band all hook into XLR input : 1 mic vocal, 1 keyboard, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 electric drum = total 5 channels of mixer. Then can I send all 5 channels signal to USB computer and RECORD RAW EACH signal to EACH SEPPERATE TRACK for later edit effect each channel ?

Or ZED can record while playing live, but ONLY RECORD WHATEVER SIGNALS FROM MIXER IN STEREO L/R TO COMPUTER ?

Thanks

• Members

if you want it mainly for recording the zed might be more suitable with its USB... but if you want to just run a live board and mix monitors from FOH also the GL is the better choice.

GL has an option to make your AUX sends pre EQ and pre insert so your FOH mixes wont affect your foldback onstage which is much better for live work.

The zed only records stereo not each individual track..

• Members

"...The zed only records stereo not each individual track.."

If ZED can record ONLY STEREO then not thing new. Someone just bring their digital recorder plug i output of mixer then record while playing live.

"...if you want it mainly for recording the zed might be more suitable with its USB... but if you want to just run a live board and mix monitors from FOH also the GL is the better choice..."

The reason I want compare ZED and GL , because GL is dual function board which can do as Monitor mixer and Main Mixer. I don't really need Monitor mixer. I just need Main mixing and 4 Aux for monitor while mixing Main, and 2 Aux for Effects. ZED have option as can record , but that is my optional, like above I can bring my digital recorder and record in stereo only. So with my need, what is your choice ?

"...GL has an option to make your AUX sends pre EQ and pre insert so your FOH mixes wont affect your foldback onstage which is much better for live work..."

I own Mackie SR24-4 now and those features as Aux sends pre EQ and Aux insert Mackie has it. Because I want upgrade my system, What I think maybe A&H board will has more features and better build. Read in here majority lean to A&H. IMO, Is it because recently about 2-3 years ago A&H market in USA and wherever ppl visit store and see it on display ? or better build than Mackie. A&H has ONLY 1 YEAR Warranty on their board, Mackie has 03 years warranty ( correct me if I'm wrong ). This is my though I don't mean to put down or raise some brand, because my Mackie work for me since 1995.

The price of same amount input Mackie is higher, the reason I want to chance because Mackie start build their board in China not in USA like before ( My Mackie is build in USA ).I try careful research before I got sound quality, and build to last board.

Thanks for reply. Now, I know I will lean to A&H GL series and start compare with Mackie Onyx.

• Members

Does anyone have A&H GL 2400 Service Manual ( Chematic draw ) ?. Because they said that BUILD INDIVIDUAL PCB BOARD for Each channel. If they build individual PCB board each channel, I think i will be easy dianostic service when it goes wrong. Addition, The reason I concern about repair when out of warranty because A&H has ONLY 1 YEAR Warranty.

Thanks

Thanks

• Members

Not as easy to service as you might think, unless you have experience servicing mixers on a component level. Easier than the all in one boards from a mechanical aspect, but still requires a scope, generator and circuit troubleshooting skills.

• Members

if the extra expense isn't an issue i would get a GL2400 over the Zed.. Besides the other stuff, its also got a 7x4 matrix and you can run Aux fed sub through aux 6 and its mono master fader.. cool features.

• Members

I think I'm leaning to GL 2400 series now, either 24 channels or 32 channels. I see they have more features, but not quite understand. Because I only use Peavey, Mackie board before so the term features of A&H not familiar to me.

Like " Wedge ", what is that , and how to apply it ? I have 6 Aux in Mackie, I used 4 pre Aux for 4 seperate monitors, and 2 Post Aux for Effects return into my 2 channels.

• Members

basically the Mackie and A&H are very similar in features. 6 auxes with and set up the way you need (4 pre/2 post), EQ is better on the A&H, 4 subgroups (A&H can pan each subgroup individually, I think the mackie is fixed but I can't remember), XLR main outs with 1/4 TRS aux outs.

I have both, my mackie has minor issues and I'd really like to buy another since I have nice road ready case for it and I don't mind using it from time to time. I've logged some hours on the mackie and while it isn't what the A&H is I still like the board. I have the 24ch GL2400 and it's been a nice compromise between size/portability and channels. When I need a 32ch board I'll rent one, for everything else I can mix many bands on a Mixwiz or the A&H has more room to it.

• Members

I try to search for Wedge and read more about it, but can not find. I'm appreciate someone give direct link to learn some more about using wedge with A&H GL 2400 series

The manual is available on their website. A quick look revealed a "wedge" fader which they say is for the engineer's wedge, don't know WTF that is. A closer read of the manual might reveal all. When in doubt RTFM :cool: .

EDIT> I guess this board can be put in "monitor mixer" mode and the wedge output lets the monitor guy have his own wedge - with its own mix or to listen to one of the other mixes. Must be a Limey thing? Every monitor mixer guy I've seen uses headphones. Anybody here ever seen it done that way and/or have any idea why you'd want it?

• Members

You can Pan 04 sub group with Mackie too. Mackie has 2 XLR, 2 TRS, and Sum mono main output too. I have Mackie 24-4, but It has only 20 XLR channel, and 02 pair of 1/4 TRS. I want to have small size mixer which easy to carry around for show. I wonder as you said "...have the 24ch GL2400 and it's been a nice compromise between size/portability and channels..."Do you have enough channels to mix for whole band as they required ?

A&H GL2400-24 = True 24 XLR channels + extra 02 pair of 1/4 TRS stereo ( Correct me if i'm wrong ) that's what I want 24 XLR channels.

Select between 24 and 32 channels, here is the setup, tell me how many channels of mixer do I need :

04 main vocal

04 each musicians vocal

04 keyboards = 02 keyboard players= 02 stereo for each ( this mean I have to submix on stage before send down to me because 01 keyboardist may use 2 or 3 keyboards in stereo )

02 guitar = 01 electric, 01 acoustic guitar

02 bass= 01 direct, 01 bass mic

For acoustic drum and electric drum pads.

04 channels for Electric drum pads as Roland SPD-S, and SPD-20, each of them in stereo.

08 for accoustic drum mics

Total = 32 channels

With that set up , is any ways to cut down channels to fit 24 channels mixer ?

Thanks

• Members

Addition,

Individual phantom power and polarity switching.

I understand individual phantom power is use for condenser mic if input channel 1 then press phantom power switch.

What is polarity switching ? not clear because never switch polarity in system I though + and - must be fixed, like speaker cable + must go to + of amp and - must go - of amp. Also, instrument cable or XLR, or TRS already follow same as standard. So switch for what ?

Archived