a good solid state amp

zzach

• Moderators

There are good solid state amps, and great ones [but they do not come cheap].

Quilter [I own an original Aviator*..and have gigged with it] would be my first choice of SS amplifiers. It is not a modeler, just a solid sounding amp with nice natural sounding overdrive.

Some folks like the Boss Katanas; personally I found them a bit harsh sounding with P90s...YMMV.

Yamaha THR series amps get great reviews, I have not tried one.

Kemper seems to be ruling the roost for SS modelers these days...but they are uber pricey....

I would steer clear of the Line 6 modelers. I have had the unfortunate experience of having to use one at a jam a few years ago and felt it was trying to be too many things, and doing none of them well...again, IMHO, YMMV...and will shortly be responsible for selling off an Amplifi 75 for a deceased old friend.[I doubt we will get a c-note for it, in perfect condition.]

There are also a huge number of 'Class D' 'amp in a box'/pedalboard amps, many with cabinet simulators.** 

*I am not a big fan of SS guitar amps, and I bought it on a whim [read: dirt cheap], not functioning, but I was able to ascertain the issue and repair it with minimal cost and time. I had to buy a speaker capable of handling the 200W rating, and their footswitch, but other than that, I enjoy it when I use it...it sits in my living room/studio, and is ready to hit the door for a gig when needed.

** I had one briefly [I don't even remember the manufacturer] that I won in a contest several years ago, but found it to lack 'definition' at low volumes, and it got 'mushy' when the guitar was cranked up, so I traded it [plus some of the other pedals I'd won in the same contest, and didn't care for] in for a Martin 12 string...and never looked back.

• Thanks 1

• Members

I am a HUGE Roland fan. (Owning 3 of their amps.) The JC120 probably the cleanest sounding amp on the planet. Takes pedals quite well, though it's distortion circuit leaves much to be desired.

Again with Roland, the modern Blues Cubes are quite good, and affordable. baby modeling amps

Carvin made some decent SS amps, all following in the Fender tone mode.

And like DM has said, the Yamaha THR series of amps. From 5 watts, to 100 watts, all types of tones can be achieved.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, badpenguin said:

I am a HUGE Roland fan. (Owning 3 of their amps.) The JC120 probably the cleanest sounding amp on the planet. Takes pedals quite well, though it's distortion circuit leaves much to be desired.

Again with Roland, the modern Blues Cubes are quite good, and affordable. baby modeling amps

Carvin made some decent SS amps, all following in the Fender tone mode.

And like DM has said, the Yamaha THR series of amps. From 5 watts, to 100 watts, all types of tones can be achieved.

Funny that you led off with the JC-120. I agree, except for the size and weight ; the JC-50 sounds exactly the same* , can keep up with a jazz drummer, and weighs about 1/3 less [40 lbs vs 62 lbs] than the 120, and it is easier to tote. Sadly, they no longer make that model, or the JC-90, 77,...plus you can find used JC-50s for around $300, but a new 120 will run around $1200-1300.

In that same vein, the old Polytone 'Mini-Brute' was a great SS amp in the ancient days....the original ones, not the 'II' version.

*although you lose the full stereo effect with the 1x12 cab, the other lighter option is the JC-40, which is a 2x10. The drawback is the power level is just on the light side unless you work with a well controlled drummer. The 40 weighs about half of a 120[~34 vs ~62] and they run about $700 new.

• Thanks 1

• Members
17 hours ago, daddymack said:

Funny that you led off with the JC-120. I agree, except for the size and weight ; the JC-50 sounds exactly the same* , can keep up with a jazz drummer, and weighs about 1/3 less [40 lbs vs 62 lbs] than the 120, and it is easier to tote. Sadly, they no longer make that model, or the JC-90, 77,...plus you can find used JC-50s for around $300, but a new 120 will run around $1200-1300.

In that same vein, the old Polytone 'Mini-Brute' was a great SS amp in the ancient days....the original ones, not the 'II' version.

*although you lose the full stereo effect with the 1x12 cab, the other lighter option is the JC-40, which is a 2x10. The drawback is the power level is just on the light side unless you work with a well controlled drummer. The 40 weighs about half of a 120[~34 vs ~62] and they run about $700 new.

I agree on the JC 50, but it wasn't "stereo." and to the lesser extent, the JC 40. ( Had a 40, sounded great until one side gave up the ghost, and I couldn't find a tech who could fix it.)

I had forgotten about the Polytones.... INCREDIBLE clean amps!! Simply stunning, with a bass that wasn't muddy, and a high end that wasn't shrill. A good find if you can locate one, but play it first. Some just don't dig it.

• Thanks 1