Crown XTI 4000 & JBL SRX718S

• Members

Hi,

I plan to get Crown XTI 4000 use for 04 JBL SRX 718S.

I plan to use 02 SRX per channel of XTI 4000 ( 04 ohm per channel )

Is that match ? Does XTI 4000 less or over power to use for 02 SRX 718S per channel ( 04 ohms per channel )?

Here is specific:

Crown XTI 4000:

Stereo 08 ohms ( per ch.) = 650W

Stereo 04 ohms ( per ch.) = 1200W

Stereo 02 ohms ( per ch.) = 1600W

Bridge mono 04 ohms = 3200W

JBL SRX 718S:

Nominal Impedance = 08 ohms

Continous = 800W

Program = 1600W

Peak = 3200W

Recommended Amplifier Power ( From JBL manual book come in the box)

Full-Range/ Parallel = 800 to 1600W @ 4 ohms

HF = n/a

LF/ Discrete = 800 to 1600W @ 2 ohms

Infrasonic Filter Settings, HPF 24 dB/ Octave = 31 hz

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JBL and Crown will tell you each box wants 1600 watts each, not saying that's right just paroting what their official stance will be. I went from a XTI4000 to an Itech 4000 to power 4 boxes and the Itech made a huge difference. I now use an Itech6000 to power all 4 boxes with the Itech 4K powered my SRX715's.

I wasn't happy using the XTI 4K with my SRX718S's, just not a lot of oomph.

If I had to do over I might go with a pair of KV2 EX2.2's then I wouldn't need to carry a ES700P for smaller gigs I could just go with 1 EX2.2.

• Members

JBL and Crown will tell you each box wants 1600 watts each, not saying that's right just paroting what their official stance will be. I went from a XTI4000 to an Itech 4000 to power 4 boxes and the Itech made a huge difference. I now use an Itech6000 to power all 4 boxes with the Itech 4K powered my SRX715's.

I wasn't happy using the XTI 4K with my SRX718S's, just not a lot of oomph.

If I had to do over I might go with a pair of KV2 EX2.2's then I wouldn't need to carry a ES700P for smaller gigs I could just go with 1 EX2.2.

Ive often thought about this myself. While I have not heard this sub (EX2.2) the numbers sure sound like it pounds pretty hard. Have you heard one?

Another sub to consider along with the SRX718 is the Danely TH-Mini. Just about the same cost, smaller in size, more SPL, much more effecient, higher sensitivity. I spoke with one of the designers about running a pair of the subs off of a single PLX3402, one per side @ 700ohms per box. I was told that the sub should sound pretty good. Just down a couple of db's from feeding them 1000w each.

I have a pair of 718's, they work very well for me but Im always looking for the next kool-aid flavor!:lol:

• Members

How come the company's own engineers choose to design their powered speakers from more conservative power ratings? Look at the JBL powered versions oftheir speakers and you will see thatthere are 2 different schools ofthought... one marketing driven without much concern for who's paying for repairs as long as it's not either company, and the powered versions where there's no other company to point fingers at.

When JBL starts powering their own powered speakers as their marketing crapola suggests, and without all the additional protection that they can provide but is not practical with a roll your own systemm I will change my position. ALL of the major manufacturers seem to follow this pattern too... JBL, QSC. Yorkville to name 3 popular choices.

• Members

I have not heard any KV2 stuff which is why I don't own them. You would think that here in the "live music capital of the World" you could get a demo.

The places we play a modular system with 4 EX2.2 and 4 EX10's or 12's would be perfect. Outdoor large venues full system, weddings and private parties where we have to use edrums to keep the volume down 1 Ex2.2 and 2 tops.

Saying that our JBL SRX system sounds incredible as well, don't need an external processor with the Itechs.

• Members

Wow, that's one high impedance box
:eek:
!Yah, for a few seconds until power compression sets in. Probably more like 1 "real world" db?

Brain melt down, what I ment to say is 700w a side at 8ohms.

Danely recommends about 1000w for the TH Mini to achive peak performance.

• Members

Hi,

I plan to get Crown XTI 4000 use for 04 JBL SRX 718S.

I plan to use 02 SRX per channel of XTI 4000 ( 04 ohm per channel )

Is that match ? Does XTI 4000 less or over power to use for 02 SRX 718S per channel ( 04 ohms per channel )?

Here is specific:

Crown XTI 4000:

Stereo 08 ohms ( per ch.) = 650W

Stereo 04 ohms ( per ch.) = 1200W

Stereo 02 ohms ( per ch.) = 1600W

Bridge mono 04 ohms = 3200W

JBL SRX 718S:

Nominal Impedance = 08 ohms

Continous = 800W

Program = 1600W

Peak = 3200W

Recommended Amplifier Power ( From JBL manual book come in the box)

Full-Range/ Parallel = 800 to 1600W @ 4 ohms

HF = n/a

LF/ Discrete = 800 to 1600W @ 2 ohms

Infrasonic Filter Settings, HPF 24 dB/ Octave = 31 hz

Thanks

Crowns new XTi6000 might be a better match for 4 SRX718s. 2100w @ 4ohms stereo. About 1050w per box.

• Members

If it give 1050W per box, then it's OVER power rating as specific of speaker handle. SRX 718S handle 800W.Am I right ?

XTI 6000 is pricy right now. IF I go with XTI 6000 and run stereo. I just 02 XTI 4000 and Bridge them 3200W @ 4 ohms, so 1600W per box. Is it good idea ?

• Members

JBL suggests you power the speakers at the program power rating, thus the XTI6K will be under powering them.

JBL's own engineers power all of their powered boxes closer to the continuous ratings... I think they know their products better than their marketing guys do. Do as the do, not as they say.

I think ~800 watts is a good choice, much of the additional theoretical increses are lost to power compression at that level anyway. Maybe 50% of any gains above 800 watts is lost.

• Members

I just got XTI 4000 and test it last night.

1/ It's so light, I can pick it up with 1 hand

2/ XTI 4000 = 4 ohms = 1600W, Do they rate 1600W RMS ? Because after test with my crown MicroTech 2450, and leave same every setting ( don't adjust anything), then turn off power change to Xti 4000. The power of XTI 4000 is less than Microtech in immediatly notice ( Leave DSP OFF from XTI 400 and using in same SUB SRX 718S ). Do I need to do something with XTI 4000 ?

If everything correct setup then I disapointed with XTI about power.

• Members

Because after test with my crown MicroTech 2450, and leave same every setting ( don't adjust anything), then turn off power change to Xti 4000

There's your problem. You are not supposed to leave everything the same. Because of the differing input sensitivities of the amps, it takes a hotter signal to drive the XTI to full power.

You need to adjust your gain structure accordingly.

• Members

Comparing 2 amps as whatever factory setting for MT 2450 = 0.775 for USA , ( International factory setting is 1.4V) and XTI 4000 don't touch anything, just leave it as out of the box ( manual said DSP off, and factory setting ).

I have been use MT for years since I bought it brand new. NO CLIP.

• Members

Cool.

Do you understand that the XTI is designed to produce less gain for a given input signal than the MT?

If you don't change anything in your gain structure before the amp, it is supposed to produce less power!

• Members

Cool.

Do you understand that the XTI is designed to produce less gain for a given input signal than the MT?

If you don't change anything in your gain structure before the amp, it is supposed to produce less power!

Then how do I adjust somethings to make the XTI 4K has same or higher power level of MT ?

WHen you said XTI 4K need hotter signal ? Does it means I have to boost up the Low EQ on mixer or turn up Low gain from Crossover ?

• Members

No, no, no!!!

It's purely a sensitivity difference... has absolutely nothing to do with low eq. You could increase the LF section gain on the crossover output by +3dB to compensate though.

The MT requires a lower drive or input signal to reach rated power than the XTi does. Your MT's may have a switch located behind the PIP panel to change the sensitivity to the same as the XTi. To compare at different senistivities is meaningless.

Archived