Please decide my ~$200 pair powered monitors/bookshelf speakers

guitargo25

• Members

I really don't know much about speaker and don't plan on learning either, I won't use them much nor for any producing, I use $150 KRK KNS 8402 neutral monitoring headphones %99 of the time but once in a while I'd like to play my synths, electric guitar, drums and just youtube music through speakers. So, I don't really care about the clarity monitors create, but I'm open to any monitors or just bookshelf speakers if they'd give a better value overall considering I don't need crystal clear monitoring audio. 

The room is 12x12', I want 5" speakers for decent bass (not too much), not 3" or something. Plug-and-play without needing any amp or other powering part or subwoofer. 

I have a ~$60 USB audio Interface Roland Duo capture with 1/4" Phones jack and 1/8" line out, plus the output on my PC motherboard. I don't need bluetooth or wireless. 

I want them pretty loud so I can hear them with the door open if cleaning downstairs or showering in the other room. These are just $174 shipped, any good? I know bD barely raises if you compare something like 200W to 400W but I jsut want loud and decent quality overall and even if I can get decent for $100 bookshelf speakers I might just buy them considering I won't use them often. 

(2) Rockville DPM5B Dual Powered 5.25" 300 Watt Active Studio Monitor Speakers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352739502169?hash=item5220e9a859:g:iTYAAOSw2dtjx9Nj:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!08831!US!-1&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PBdLPOfyn43Y2We0PtXaIEu19RNbYDs1d3bcYqHBZykH%2B%2F7EahH4zNorI52kYgo5wXM3o%2B2Sf0osGvgTBLDnn9sTUPd9q0h2JL0RH8RVzA8DRqAE2LToTHiS4NA9Ydlf8zDSSaty2Swe2NDDNguO8xO2fDdzpsCz8SO5sNKMzJHD8kEeupZ1T03cSsw3S5mSrUbLG%2BcxQWMr8zu8Q7pyStyWngwx2MKaAGl4rbGYvHCH8qfBa3W5E1ekPuokiy8%2FCmzZd6v0unbmc13f7FGoeOdRkbVgrDXHAoNArUl7ABbW16OPISyVWrQPK6p1W4pDg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMxLjBzPdh

I'd like to get from ebay and use paypal balance, so here's options for powered active studio monitors $122-$212

and then powered active bookshelf speakers $66-$212

I don't know how much I trust used speakers because I've seen a bunch on facebook market that are blown, yet I've never had a problem blowing any headphones in the past 15 years despite full volume but I know speakers are different esp if people are feeding them with an amp or something.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=active+powered+studio+monitors+-3.5"&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=122&_udhi=212&_sop=15

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=active+powered+bookshelf+speakers+-3.5"&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=122&_odkw=active+powered+studio+monitors+-3.5"&_osacat=0&_sop=15&_udhi=212

Again, mostly I just want the loudest I can get for my budget without it sounding like junk and I don't need it crystal clear so maybe bookshelfs are my better choice. 

Pick what you would buy , thanks :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, badpenguin said:

For your needs, the Rockville are fine.

I agree, but they are not 300W speakers, they are 75W peak [150WRMS], so together yes, you have 2x150WRMS....pretty sketchy to call it 300W, IMHO...just wanted to make sure the OP was up the specs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I ended up buying a pair of powered/active Rockville 8" monitors for around $267 after tax (Actually I scored them barely used for $170 shipped). If the barely used sale didn't go through I'd have bought them new, A bit more than original budget but I think the ~$65 more than a more-known-brand 5" or 5.5" will be well worth to have 8" woofers, I'm not crazy about bass-heavy (like, I think a rattling car trunk system from the 1990's lol) but drums, bass etc I do want to feel the music and will enjoy 8" more.  I wish they had protective grill covers but I can probably affix aftermarket/used ones and I prefer knobs on the front (who doesn't over a 'clean look'?), and it'd be nice if the Bass and Treble had adjustable knobs instead of boost/on/off switch but I'll probably leave it regular mostly anyway, but overall they get really good reviews for the price. I'd have to spend about $400 for a more well-known pair of new 8"s, but these should be great for me.  Rockville also has 6.5" for around $170 new, but it's well known 8s" are basically the minimum to get decent bass and a full sound. Plus theses will be way louder than I need and was worried maybe even 5 or 5.5s wouldn't be loud enough to hear downstairs (with upstairs windows closed at certain hours/times) and was considering 4 total 4-5" cheaper 'Bookshelf Speakers' but this is a much better set up, and I have perfect shelf spots for them. 

Rockville APM8C 8" 2-Way 500W Active/Powered USB Studio Monitor Speakers Pair  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303890691184?hash=item46c14bf470:g:OBwAAOSwZnlkTySQ:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!08831!US!-1&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8DvAFbDrIBsA9ivvnwsytPUl5otXE6TAoa9T9CArRKWsW1SY%2F8WBaZbcA%2Bu1C3InjMJ3eH9Fl6bCpxapeONE8OF4Ga9UnJqvY600zbGB1qCxT8bpHlPq049mtE2AikItEU7f2EJVSyOAeQv6Xij8hyVxCC%2FfIJRn93cP%2BC5C5%2FWdPizxIZruM7QajSrU6fkyea9KVGTgZ5e30iBLIV0vMNlNOsbH8fOC3xPddow31n8YyxhI6ERqbXMkWGIVWw8oURyyjeCq%2FfoLYnYzxlD6%2BCsr7HRxoK7xldKG9NOzUOo7pNu%2BA6dattqwZrkPWsK1tA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8zl1cmAYg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, guitargo25 said:

... it'd be nice if the Bass and Treble had adjustable knobs instead of boost/on/off switch ...

Remember that these are 'studio monitors'...designed for hearing the mix, not changing it....

• Thanks 1