Anyone use a powered mixer?

• Members

This thread has got me thinking http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

I was originally looking to go the powered speaker route, but unfortunately a lot of powered speakers have yet hit the used market. Meanwhile, you can get something like a 2 used JBL JRX 125s, 1 used Mackie 808, and a JBL PRX518 for around $2000. Do you guys think something like this would make a good system or would it be more wise to purchase something like a mixer, two PRX 512 or Yorkville NXP 55s, and a pair of active subs down the line.

Just curious as to what your opinions are on this.

• Members

$2000 sounds a bit high for that system. The older Mackie 808 is not a bad box mixer. I don't have experience with the newer, Loud ones. PRX stuff is fine but JRX is not an easy box to get a good sound from.

I think the big advantage to a quality powered speaker is that all the power matching and EQing and such are done for you by experienced techs with a lot of test gear. A self powered system is much easier for someone with less experience to use and get the best results with.

• Members

The JRX speaker is not anywhere near as good as the PRX-512. Not even close in sound quality or volume.

Speak of the devil.

Thanks for the info guys. I really do appreciate your insight. If it matters, venues we play our typical bars. Our band leader has also discussed running guitars directly from a POD into the PA. If we do go that route I want to make sure I'll be happy with what I get because it's going to be a huge part of the guitar and bass sound.

• Members

The JRX speaker is not anywhere near as good as the PRX-512. Not even close in sound quality or volume.

Would it be possible for you to explain why a twelve inch speaker is better for FOH mains than a 15 inch speaker. For example, PRX 512 vs. PRX 515. In my head I translate bigger speaker to bigger sound... but I realize this is not the case, just can't wrap my finger around it. :confused:

• Members

I kept my Mackie 808M, but bought Yorkie NX55P's and a LS700 sub, and use

the Mackie for monitors. Nice, compact, loud sound

In the future I'll get a bigger non powered board and a couple more

powered monitors, but for right now this was a nice upgrade from

my former system using a 808M

• Members

Thanks for the info guys. I really do appreciate your insight. If it matters, venues we play our typical bars. Our band leader has also discussed running guitars directly from a POD into the PA. If we do go that route I want to make sure I'll be happy with what I get because it's going to be a huge part of the guitar and bass sound.

That makes your choice of FOH speaker that much more important. choose wisely and don't skimp on the $$

• Members

The 12" version is generally a better choice when using subs, which your OP mentions. This is because the lower frequencies are not even sent to the 12" driver but to the sub instead. If you do not plan on using subs, te 15" cabinet may be a better choice because you will need the advantage the 15" driver delivers in this case.

• Members

I've used all kinds of combinations of things. Unless you get a really good powered mixer, you'll probably run into their limitations pretty quickly. Most of them don't have that much power and most of them divide that power in half if you want to run mains and monitors.

I currently use a Carvin C1644P which ix 4 x 200 @ 8 ohms. That at least doesn't steal from the mains to run monitors, but it still doesn't really give you more than small club power. I plug powered mains and powered subs into it and just use it to power passive monitors. It's been my experience that you get more sound for your money going the powered speaker route.

You can get lucky used. I've posted here several times about the Mackie 450s I got for 600 a pair.

• Members

I use a powered mixer.It's a Yami EMX 5014c.It can be set to power aux1 and aux2 for monitors..I run the mains out to a couple of amps and a crossover.No sound provider would use this, but for me and where I play it works just fine problem free.Using what I have learned on this forum would I buy differently? Yes.But for now I'm good.

• Members

I've had a few powered mixers over the years. The only one still around is a Yorkville 16 channel board w/ twin 600 watt amps. I forget the exact model but it's about 20 years old. The master section was replaced when it was about 5 years old and since then it has functioned without any hiccups. I use it pretty much just for rehearsals these days.

• Members

The 12" version is generally a better choice when using subs, which your OP mentions. This is because the lower frequencies are not even sent to the 12" driver but to the sub instead. If you do not plan on using subs, te 15" cabinet may be a better choice because you will need the advantage the 15" driver delivers in this case.

OK.. got it.

Also, I talked to the bandleader last night and he brought up that he maybe looking for a powered mixer for smaller gigs so he does not have to bring out his mixer and power amps. I'll let him go ahead and jump on that and I will hold out for the powered speakers. In the short term, setting up can be made easier because we can use what he gets to power the monitors and use it as a mixer for the speakers as others have mentioned.

I just purchased a house and need to get some work done... with what I have left over I'll be able to know if I can get the speakers and subs or just the speakers up front.

Thanks for all the info and knowledge.

• Members

We had a fill in drummer last night and he brought one of those Mackie units to run the PA. If you've followed my past post you'll know I've said we don't need a lot of power. We were playing a private party and the Mackie actually worked pretty well. He said he runs it with a powered sub when he needs the extra boost. It sounds like our band leader is going to look into picking one up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm having a hard time to fight the urge to pick up a powered mixer to use as a mixer and to power monitors. I'm getting some powered speakers at the end of the month. While it will improve our sound, our set up/breakdown time and ease is not going to be any easier because we will still need the power amps plus mixer to power the monitors. :confused: I guess I need to think long term and delay short term satisfaction.

• Members

I'm having a hard time to fight the urge to pick up a powered mixer to use as a mixer and to power monitors. I'm getting some powered speakers at the end of the month. While it will improve our sound, our set up/breakdown time and ease is not going to be any easier because we will still need the power amps plus mixer to power the monitors.
:confused:
I guess I need to think long term and delay short term satisfaction.

I'm having a similar problem - I've finally put together a FOH system, but I'm still undecided about monitors... Obviously, a few powered monitors would be a good choice (the mixer has enough aux sends for separate mixes for all of us, so no monitor mixer needed), but cash is running out...:facepalm: We're stuck lugging an older power amp and some big heavy passive speakers for the time being...

• Members

Do you have a guitar? Several?

Do you have a PA system? Several?

Several guitars... I personally own zero PA systems. :facepalm:

It's a sweet looking guitar though!!!! And another guy in the band has a PA. Alas.... our paths have crossed on craigslist, but it was not to be. :lol:

• Members

Our band has both a full PA system (FOH amps, monitor amp, 16-ch mixer, 2 subs and everything needed between) and a Peavey XR8300 powered mixer.

The Peavey is great for rehearsal and acoustic gigs, but not even close to adequate for full band gigs.

Don't buy something just for the sake of having something.

PRS guitars look beautiful to my eyes, but they don't feel good in my hands.

• Members

Don't make the mistake that alot of bands do. They will own thousands of dollars in guitars and amps but want to cheap out on the PA. You should put the needs of the band first. It doesn't matter how nice of a guitar you own if you are micing it into a POS PA.

Archived