Setup time for one man "crew"?

• Members

For those of you running a one-man operation or otherwise knowledgeable of such :) what time would you start to set up for a 8pm sound check with a typical mains + subs, two monitor feeds, and 16 channels? What time should a 6 piece band need to start setting up to have time to mic them and get the monitors rung out in time to soundcheck? I'm getting a bit tired of first set "sound checks" and having to finish micing up between the first and second sets :lol:.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We like to give ourselves 2 hours for set up and sound check. That way the gals have time for a deep breath and a chance to change out of their set up clothes and into their performance outfits.

We can setup and line check in a hour if we have to, but we don't like that.

If it was just me setting up I would still budget at least 2 hours and have the band expect line/sound check a half hour before show time. I don't like to have to rush.

Winston

• Members

What time should a 6 piece band need to start setting up to have time to mic them and get the monitors rung out in time to soundcheck?

Actually... the monitors should be fairly well wrung before the band arrives.

I've seen bands get in and get-er-done in about 1/2 hour... that includes unloading their gear, set-up, soundcheck, and tidy up. I've also seen bands noodle around for 3 - 4 hours... and never did actually get around to doing an actual full-on sound check before showtime.

I'd say an hour should be plenty sufficent.

• Members

This sounds exactly like what I do!

I'm a one-dad crew, running mains, subs, 2 monitor mixes, and 16 full channels. I do sound mostly for my son's 6 piece band (Fishbear), and the band members usually show up at the -2 hour mark and help with gear haulage.

We've standardized on 2 hours, and it works out quite well! Last gig, we were all set up and checked with 1/2 hour to spare. Excellent! It gives time to change, a bite to eat, etc. A new place often takes a bit longer.

• Members

If it's "my band", with a club... that I know, and no lights to deal with (house lights provided), then it takes me about two hours. If it's an unknown venue, it can certainly take much longer because of elevator issues, stairs, waiting for the lunch crowd to leave before I can load in, and on and on.

In my main band, I spend a huge amount of time making sure the monitors are loud enough to peel the paint off the building next door. Old school performers that can't or won't use IEM's. I ring the monitors out long before anyone is there. I max them out, note where that is, bring them down and then turn them up (if requested) only to their max point.

• Members

Same here. We're a 5 piece band and I co-front the band and own the lights/PA. Everyone arrives 2 hours prior to the gig but often times one person is a little late. As long as three of us their, it works without a hitch. I takes 15 minutes to tote everything in and place it on the dancefloor. The subs are put in place and the back light truss is also put in place. My wife goes to work hanging/wiring the lights and I run power and hook the mixer, racks/stack and monitors. Once she has the lighting truss assembled/tested, we raise it and the drummer gets to work.

We can generally get to sound check in an hour then have an hour to move to the trailer, change my shirt and have a pre show cocktail.:thu: Occasionally, problems arise and the first song becomes the soundcheck but we RARELY start late for reasons that are our fault.

• Members

WOW....

We must either be slow or still new to this.

I too am a "band dad"

Myself and another father own the lighting and PA for a four piece teenage band.

When we arrive, we all go into unpacking mode, and we are lucky as several

of my son's friends like to help out with the band set-ups.

From arrival to end of soundcheck we are running about three hours.

However...We budget in more time than that, and we don't rush, so nothing gets missed. Which, happens sometimes. Last week I went to do the soundcheck and nothing came out of the monitors or mains, and no gain levels...I forgot to plug in the returns going to the stage snake.

www.myspace.com/southpawkings

• Members

WOW....

We must either be slow or still new to this.

I too am a "band dad"

Myself and another father own the lighting and PA for a four piece teenage band.

When we arrive, we all go into unpacking mode, and we are lucky as several

of my son's friends like to help out with the band set-ups.

From arrival to end of soundcheck we are running about three hours.

However...We budget in more time than that, and we don't rush, so nothing gets missed. Which, happens sometimes. Last week I went to do the soundcheck and nothing came out of the monitors or mains, and no gain levels...I forgot to plug in the returns going to the stage snake.

www.myspace.com/southpawkings

After you have done this for a while, you look for ways to save 5 minutes here...5 minutes there; I'll spend an hour at home either pre-wiring, labling and organizing to save a few minutes at the gig. I have things fairly organized, I have everyone assigned particular jobs and we work load-in/set up with speed and focus. In most of the places we play, we are in the way during load-in, so we want to move quickly being setup.

• Members

For those of you running a one-man operation or otherwise knowledgeable of such
:)
what time would you start to set up for a 8pm sound check with a typical mains + subs, two monitor feeds, and 16 channels? What time should a 6 piece band need to start setting up to have time to mic them and get the monitors rung out in time to soundcheck? I'm getting a bit tired of first set "sound checks" and having to finish micing up between the first and second sets
:lol:

1) I would start at 6PM to get the mains and monitors set up and ready.

2) Sit around for an hour to wait for the band to arrive and set up.

3) As they are tuning and/or noodling, I would get the line check.

4) Start the show and set levels during the first song.

Really though, how long does it take for you to unload a Metro and setup that amount of gear? If it takes more than 30-45 minutes, I would be surprised.

• Members

After you have done this for a while, you look for ways to save 5 minutes here...5 minutes there; I'll spend an hour at home either pre-wiring, labling and organizing to save a few minutes at the gig. I have things fairly organized, I have everyone assigned particular jobs and we work load-in/set up with speed and focus. In most of the places we play, we are in the way during load-in, so we want to move quickly being setup.

This is actually something we are doing now.

Labeling, and preset-ups.

We are saving time everytime we do another gig.

Plus...When I mentioned before my son's friends help out.

Two of them want to learn how to run sound, and we are teaching them at each gig. Our hopes are that in a couple of years if the boys keep doing this, they will have their friends running the sound so the other dad and I can just go and watch them play.

• Members
Actually... the monitors should be fairly well wrung before the band arrives.

I assumed the setup would change mic positions etc enough that ringout should be done after the band set up (especially when not knowing the stage plot) but now that you mention it I'll start doing that. Thanks also for the rest of your post!

• Members
Really though, how long does it take for you to unload a Metro and setup that amount of gear? If it takes more than 30-45 minutes, I would be surprised.

In an unfamiliar (and un-fronted) venue maybe an hour if I was only using my "one man system" equipment (not always the case) and if I get my FOH rack pre-wired a bit better and stop changing thing about (working on it :)).

• Members

The places we play we normally setup in the afternoon around 2 or so. Takes normally 1-2 hours depending on my mood. Most times in under and hour though. If im doing a full show say on a friday night. I get there at 6 so i do not have to rush and i can eat a lil bit. I usually want the first band there no later than an hour before the gig starts. And that is normally 9.

• Members

Yeah If you can find something that cuts down 5 mins off setup/teardown that is substantial. Were about 6 months worth of gigs away from getting a multipin snake and stage boxes ect. Pricey but will cut the number of connections WAY WAY down. I cant wait. However we give about 2 hrs for set up and try to do it in a hour. Gives ya time to relax and clear your mind.

• Members

I assumed the setup would change mic positions etc enough that ringout should be done after the band set up (especially when not knowing the stage plot) but now that you mention it I'll start doing that. Thanks also for the rest of your post!

It depends on your mics and monitors and the environment. Generally I don't really have to do much wringing with my monitors... I more-so go for tone. When I have them set fat and happy, generally I have headroom to burn (even with the worst of vocalists). And when I'm fighting GBF issues, I've learned to first attempt to solve the problem at it's root cause, rather than diving for knobs first (like try to talk the vocalist into actually singing into the mic using their outdoor voice, rather than the vocalist vaguely singing sort-of at the mic with their little tinniest whisper voice (because for the first time ever they can actually hear their monitor... so they back wayyy off) "Look down... see that star were you're standing? That denotes that you're standing in the most conspicuous spot on the stage... and everybody will be looking and listening to YOU! That's what you came here for, right? So get used to it and don't try to be inconspicuous).

But yes, with other monitors I've had in the past (and other mics, and goofy monitor positioning requested by the band)... wringing out the monitors was more involved and definately involved the band's set-up and having all mics in-place and open.

BTW: That star on stage is something I learned years ago to apply. It's so that when the "star" looks down, they remember: "Oh, that's me (the star)"... and it's amazing how much it helps them act like a star.

• Members

I'm a one man crew and I get in 2 hours before. I run a pair of single 18s and passive tops. One trick that saves ME a little time setting up is a color coded snake fan. I use the colors of a stop light to sequence my snake. I use green cable tie and bundle the snake about 1' from the connectors on channel 1-4, yellow on 5-8, red on 9-12, black on 13-16 (if I had a 16 channel snake)

Then I put green tape on channels 1-5-9-13, yellow on 2-6-10-14, red on 3-7-11-15 and nothing on 4-8-12-16.

I grab the green bundle and plug in order...green, yellow, red, blank

grab the yellow bundle and plug in...green, yellow, red, blank

grab the red bundle and plug in... green, yellow, red, blank

grab the last bundle and plug in green, yellow, red, blank

No more looking at little numbers! :thu:

• Members

For those of you running a one-man operation or otherwise knowledgeable of such
:)
what time would you start to set up for a 8pm sound check with a typical mains + subs, two monitor feeds, and 16 channels? What time should a 6 piece band need to start setting up to have time to mic them and get the monitors rung out in time to soundcheck? I'm getting a bit tired of first set "sound checks" and having to finish micing up between the first and second sets
:lol:

What is this sound check thing you speak of? I dont understand. Is this something that happens before the actual performance?....lol.....

• Members

I'm a one man crew and I get in 2 hours before. I run a pair of single 18s and passive tops. One trick that saves ME a little time setting up is a color coded snake fan. I use the colors of a stop light to sequence my snake. I use green cable tie and bundle the snake about 1' from the connectors on channel 1-4, yellow on 5-8, red on 9-12, black on 13-16 (if I had a 16 channel snake)

Then I put green tape on channels 1-5-9-13, yellow on 2-6-10-14, red on 3-7-11-15 and nothing on 4-8-12-16.

I grab the green bundle and plug in order...green, yellow, red, blank

grab the yellow bundle and plug in...green, yellow, red, blank

grab the red bundle and plug in... green, yellow, red, blank

grab the last bundle and plug in green, yellow, red, blank

No more looking at little numbers!
:thu:

I keep my snake connected to the board in the mixer rack with all my drive gear. So all you have to do is pull the box out to the stage. Way easier then reconnecting that stuff all the time.

• Members

I keep my snake connected to the board in the mixer rack with all my drive gear. So all you have to do is pull the box out to the stage. Way easier then reconnecting that stuff all the time.

That's a great setup. Multi-pin snakes are an awesome time saver too but not affordable to most of us. I have my mixer and rackgear in one case and all connected so all I need to do is hook up the snake and run a singe AC line and I'm done. Takes 5 minutes.

Another thing that saves me time is, I use 12/4 speaker cable to one of my subs speakon connector (2+/2- to the sub speaker) and a short jumper from the other sub speakon to the tops (1+/1-). In my amp rack I have a knock out panel (is that what its called?) that has 2 pre wired speakon jacks and 2 XLR inputs. Takes about 5-10 minutes instead of 10-20 minutes to hook up. I'm all about quick, easy and inexpensive! ;)

• Members

What is this sound check thing you speak of? I dont understand. Is this something that happens before the actual performance?....lol.....

I come to believe that sound checks are 90% a waste of time with local acts. The part about going through individual mics anyway... since *that* part of the soundcheck is problematic:

1) Generally the band has no organized sound check system... which isn't much of a problem if the soundperson has an organized system & a talk-back mic and can call the shots, but rounding up the members of the band and getting them to stop noodling around is a problem.

2) Generally when doing individual mic levels, the members of the band don't play or sing in the manner they do when the whole band's playing.

3) Generally there's just enough of an audience in attendance to make the situation awkward, resulting in a case of stage fright. I think this is part of the reason for all the noodling around since noodling obviously isn't any sort of performance.

4) Usually the bands don't know what they want in their monitor mixes, other than everything louder than everything else.

So... I do a line check on all the mics as I set them up to confirm function and channel assignment. Usually I just do a scratch test, or a quick "on-two" to rough-in monitor levels. I've played enough, and know my board, mics, and monitors well enough to have a fair monitor mix roughed in before the band starts. I can generally hit a cold mix that's 90% of the way there in about 15 seconds. I rough in a passible FOH mix, then go to the monitor mixes via cans or a que wedge. So generally once the band is on stage and seemingly ready to go, I ask the band if I can have a look at their set-list... I pick a song that I think would make a good soundcheck song and ask them if they can lauch into it. When they finish the first song, I ask them what they'd like for changes in their monitor mix... starting with the stage right performer, working across the front line, then move to the back stage performers. Then I ask them if they'd like to soundcheck another tune (of their choosing)? Generally two songs and we're done to a functional diminished point of returns (till they get a real audience).

I try to nip noodling around by the band members in the bud... and keep progress organized and productive, otherwise they'll endlessly noodle, which just looks unprofessional and reflects poorly on the HIRED sound contractor.

• Members

In my amp rack I have a knock out panel (is that what its called?) that has 2 pre wired speakon jacks and 2 XLR inputs. Takes about 5-10 minutes instead of 10-20 minutes to hook up. I'm all about quick, easy and inexpensive!
;)

Yes, I agree: Getting set-up with patch panels can make a tremendous difference... both time-wise, and diminishing mistakes.

Also, I use bigger racks than needed for just the rack gear housed within the rack, so I have 3 - 4U of space in the bottom to house the cabling that's used with that rack... so I can pull the cover off, pull out the cables and start plugging.

• Members

Whether it's a one man/small system or large crew/large system show, we typically leave ourselves 3 hours before we need to make noise. Keep in mind that all of our systems are packaged to the hilt, everything multipinned, everything on wheels. To some 3 hours seems excessive, but if something goes catastrophically wrong, this gives us enough time to troubleshoot/fix/replace the problem. If it's a venue that we work in a lot, then we'll usually shave some time off of that. Or we'll add time if it's a particularly large show or difficult venue. Yale's commencement, we leave ourselves 5 days for set up.

Archived